Prove it!

Jackalope

People learn a lot from Open and Honest conversation. First off I have nothing against organic. My problem is that because people are going more organic all of a sudden everything that is not organic is Bad. Miracle Grow has a worse reputation then Trump. Their soil while not perfect can grow great plants. Their nutrients mixes grow great plants. For something never designed for marijuana it works pretty damn good. Everyone says the chemicals in it are bad for you. Though there is no proof that anything in the nutrients make it into the finish product you are smoking. If there is it is your fault not the nutrients. I have seen proof in my own grows that Miracle grow performs as well or better then everything I have tried................... Like I said open and Honest. You can say you don't like it but I challenge anyone to prove it can't perform.

I think the thing with miracle grow is the time released nutrients in their soil cause alot of problems with alot of new growers. I myself like to give the plants what they need when they need it. Also, we are entering an Era where people are trying to have a healthier style of living and stay away from pesticides and products with heavy metals. I know that the synthetic lineup of miracle grow, foxfarm, advanced, GH......are all chalked full of heavy metals.

True. As a Fisherman I know heavy metals are harmful when consumed. Not bad in my area but really bad in others. While I don't believe these will come through in smoke. And yes I do realize fertilizers are responsible for some of those metals in our waters......... About the soil I have to agree with you in a since. If you feed those plants extra food you have to be aware of what you are giving them. Over feeding is a mistake beginners make anyway, you can't blame that on the soil.

Feels weird defending MG products when I don't use them "much" any more. Will I again in the future? Yes if needed. Maybe I feel loyalty to it because it was there when nothing else was. Not only did it work it supplied all my smoke for years. That same environment is still out there. People in small or out of the way towns don't have all the products others do. Most states growing is still illegal and growing supplies are limited. People are being given the impression that these products will not work for them. That fact is wrong. They do work. Are they perfect no, nothing out there is. It has gotten to the point where people who have never used MG products bash them.

I used Miracle Grow waaay back when. I don't have any science to prove it's unhealthy or anything else, but the anecdotal evidence is hard to ignore: when I stopped using it I immediately started doubling and tripling my yields. That's all I need to know. lol

You did a lot better on your switch then I did. The switch between Miracle grow and Fox farm didn't change all that much for me. While I am really happy with the Fox Farm products they didn't double let alone triple production. I'm sue if you think about it. There may be other reasons for the increase in production. Experience is 1 major factor in yields. Oh yeah What in the hell is Anecdotal evidence? LOL.

When I grew my first plant, I grew using MG. Now I use FF and soon will switch to my own compost mix. MG provides nutes throughout the grow. I don't disagree it is a performing soil. It gives time released nutrients to the plants when they want them based on an averaging of when a plant typically changes from veg to flower. FF soil ( Ocean Forest ) is more for the early growth stages. Most growers don't have issue with MG except it makes it harder to add the nutes growers like to add to increase production and such. The more control you have over whats added, the more you can change to increase production and better your yields potentially. I know its an old post but why not?

You did a lot better on your switch then I did. The switch between Miracle grow and Fox farm didn't change all that much for me. While I am really happy with the Fox Farm products they didn't double let alone triple production. I'm sue if you think about it. There may be other reasons for the increase in production. Experience is 1 major factor in yields. Oh yeah What in the hell is Anecdotal evidence? LOL.

I 've never used Fox farms. I switched to the General Organics line and was pretty happy with the results. Using Remo now.

Tried the organic and composting too many issues with bugs, so went to using miracle grow now 5 bucks worth of fertilizer lasts 2 years yield is better with the miracle grow.

Also use the miracle grow dirt in the yellow bag for blooming plants, real easy to just go to walmart or home depot and get a couple of bags when needed.

Only grow for myself in a 4x4 tent with a mars pro2 160 led 400watts

Miracle Grows availability is probably the biggest asset. When I used it I very rarely tried to push my plants to produce more. Maybe that is why I didn't run into the problems others did.

I get a kick out of how folks say miracle grow has all these "heavy elements" which is really just trace elements plants need.

If your buying the fertilizer in a bottle it isn't organic anyway just somebody's chemicals put together. To do "Organic" you need to use sewage and I really don't want raw sewage in my tent. Go drive by an organic farm when they are pumping the raw sewage on the fields and enjoy the smell.

I get a kick out of how folks say miracle grow has all these "heavy elements" which is really just trace elements plants need.

If your buying the fertilizer in a bottle it isn't organic anyway just somebody's chemicals put together. To do "Organic" you need to use sewage and I really don't want raw sewage in my tent. Go drive by an organic farm when they are pumping the raw sewage on the fields and enjoy the smell.

What?

You have no idea of what you speak!

Touched a nerve there Weavel lol. Sewage is a bit drastic but guano is guano. You are right when you say that there are organic nutrients that will have chemicals and heavy metals in them. It is not Organic just because they say it is. Nutrients are like fishing lures! Most catch more fisherman then they do fish.

The ignorance is strong with this one.

Touched a nerve there Weavel lol. Sewage is a bit drastic but guano is guano.

Probably not so much touched a nerve as just pointing out that saying the only thing organic is sewage is rather overgeneralizing a bit ;), same as compost is an organic fertilizer and isn't guano is guano or sewage, along with a lot of other things IE: bone meal, etc..... I do understand what you saying about the fancy stuff, some of the flashy stuff probably increases yield and makes bigger flowers but some of it isn't exactly intended for use in food products and IMHO anything I smoke/ingest should be treated as a food product. Not like you can get totally away from crap as certain amounts of heavy metals and other crap is considered "safe" in your water you drink, but the body doesn't get rid of certain heavy metals they just accumulate in your system so it could add up over time.

Probably not so much touched a nerve as just pointing out that saying the only thing organic is sewage is rather overgeneralizing a bit ;), same as compost is an organic fertilizer and isn't guano is guano or sewage, along with a lot of other things IE: bone meal, etc..... I do understand what you saying about the fancy stuff, some of the flashy stuff probably increases yield and makes bigger flowers but some of it isn't exactly intended for use in food products and IMHO anything I smoke/ingest should be treated as a food product. Not like you can get totally away from crap as certain amounts of heavy metals and other crap is considered "safe" in your water you drink, but the body doesn't get rid of certain heavy metals they just accumulate in your system so it could add up over time.

:thumb:
Yeah it was a bit of an over generalization the sewage remark was just to get attention, but like you said there is lots of other things. What it boils down to is organic growing uses rotting plant and animal material.

This is great and if I was growing outside this would be my method. Even using all the rotting plant and animal material it probably still wouldn't be organic because pesticides would be needed to control the bugs attracted by my really nice organic soil. (pesticides are much worse than fertilizer)

Most folks just starting, want to just grow a couple of plants. They come out to these boards to get advice like I did and get bombarded with people telling them it has to be done with these certain ingredients or God will kill their pot plant. When actually commercial fertilizer and dirt works fine.

To me it is a "to each their own", though indoors you are controlling the lights/temp/size of space available for roots/etc...so I would rather be in control of what fertilizers it gets and what ratio of NPK in the various stages of growth/flower, which your MG type soils with the time released stuff you have zero control over what it releases and when, and if you get a strain that is real picky on that stuff it can cause you lots of grief. As I have yet to grow just one strain at a time, and have found that I can get not enough on one strain/plant and burnt tips on the other strain/plant while trying to use the same nute mix I made up in my gallon jug of water.

There are pest control that does fall under "organic" (natural oils/predator bugs/etc...), albeit that's a word with little definition just like with food they can label it "healthy" and there isn't very many parameters it has to meet as of yet (actually organic probably has more requirements than that one even).

IMHO folks take it too far sometimes, as the plant (a weed technically) would never survived in the wild if it had to be an exact PH/PPM/temp of water/type of water/gravitational pull of the moon has to be this exact number ;) :rofl: If you trying to grow a few plants for your own stash so you know exactly what is in it is totally different than growing commercially, and just start with the KISS method you will have less stress, that and IMHO quality is more important and quantity you can deal with later as you learn. As stressing/freaking out over it kinda defeats the whole purpose of it ;) :peace: and you might as well just buy it instead of growing it as takes awhile to recoup your initial investment and then the ongoing costs of growing to make it "cheaper" than off the street/dispensary. Plus some folks find out it is not for them (either a "black thumb" or just a total PITA that they don't have time for) so IMHO start small and find out first instead of dumping 1-2K into your grow space and find out it is not for you, as just like a car once you drive it off the lot and it becomes "used" it is difficult to try and sell it for anywhere near what you paid for it (and grow stuff is harder to sell than a car as a limited market even where totally "legal").

But like everything in life opinions all over the place and that is just mine, and in many cases neither of us is totally right/wrong and it falls somewhere in the middle or a combination of both :peace::Namaste::hippy:

Everything these days is great or terrible. This product is right that product is wrong. People are doing it with everything everywhere so why not in growing. That is my main reason for this thread. Right, wrong. True, false. Good, bad. They are all different for different growers everywhere. Just because it is not how you do it. Or with what you are using. Does not make it wrong! Just different. In the end it is best to use what you understand and are comfortable with. For most of us the only person that it matters to is YOU.

Everything these days is great or terrible. This product is right that product is wrong. People are doing it with everything everywhere so why not in growing. That is my main reason for this thread. Right, wrong. True, false. Good, bad. They are all different for different growers everywhere. Just because it is not how you do it. Or with what you are using. Does not make it wrong! Just different. In the end it is best to use what you understand and are comfortable with. For most of us the only person that it matters to is YOU.

True, though folks first come here usually asking for help, and like everything else in life if you ask for "opinion's" you aren't required to run with them ;) :rofl: and if you ask for opinions and then try and "convert" them to yours or argue with folks trying to help you you probably won't get much help when you do finally have a real problem you need assistance with ;)....well at least I'm kinda that way with that as an elephant on remembering some things and a space cadet on remembering others.....but I'm old and stuck in my ways :rofl: as I had to walk two miles to school in 3 feet of snow and it was uphill both ways ;) :rofl:

Take what makes the most sense to you, or what fits what you are trying to do (as like you said resources and what is available locally/readily available is different for all of us, along with priorities as some want quantity and others don't give a flying flock about that ;).... as I would rather have a little bit of killer stuff than a bunch of crapola like we used to smoke back in the 70's-early 80's (trash compactor dirt weed with nails and pieces of barn and slightly musty/moldy smell to it)).

:Namaste:

Back
Top Bottom