Water Curing Marijuana

ultrasonic

Hello All! I'm back with a topic that I haven't been able to find in searches in these forums: Water Curing your buds!

Lets break it down:

Air Curing is done to remove chlorophyll and other salts, etc that are built up in the plant during it life cycle. It allows for a smoother smoke and tastier product. People do this by utilizing oxygen in the air. Oxygen works oxidize the chlorophyll and break it down on a chemical level. This takes 2-4 weeks, but allows for the best aroma and "bag appeal" which is important to some people.
Results:
-Burning is still somewhat harsh and will leave more ash behind
-More bag appeal: more color to the buds
-better taste and aroma

Water Curing is done by cutting down your buds and removing the fan leaves. It's optional to do further trimming, but note that cured trimmings always make better hash. Place them in a bin of Reverse Osmosis water and keep below above 65F and below 75F. Use something to gently weigh them down. Once a day for 3-7 days (depending on personal preference) change out the water with clean fresh RO water. Because there is a high concentration of chlorophyll and salts in the buds and none in the water, Osmosis will naturally occur, drawing it out of the plant until the levels are equal. The water is changed out to keep the osmotic pressure at its highest: day old water will not have the same osmotic force to suck out everything. After the 3-7 days, hang and dry the buds like you normally would. Done!
Results:
-Less bag appeal
-The smoothest bud you'll ever smoke
-Bud is more potent, but only because the total weight is reduced. IE- where you may get 1.5g air curing, you'll only get 1g with water cure: a much purer product
-Using them method allows you to pump in nutrients all the way to the end, with NO 1-2 weeks of flushing. That could increase yields significantly.

Remember that nothing we want to smoke is water soluble. That means it will not leach out into the water. The only thing that can happen is trichomes can break off if you treat the buds roughly: be gentle.

I will be water curing a portion of my first harvest scheduled for the first week of FEB, and will be sure to provide results (will air dry a 10g bud, and water cure a 10g bud for example, and provide weight and smoke results)

So what were your water curing experiences like pitviper and zodiakgrower? What method did you use? What were your drying conditions? Strain?

I'm really interested in hearing from people who have experience with this, thanks for chiming in!

while it is very true that THC are not water soluable, the thought of keeping my carefully well grown buds getting wet just scares me, I love the taste and aroma from my buds and I dont want to mess them up. Im saying its not possible to water cure but I wont try it myself..

the thought of keeping my carefully well grown buds getting wet just scares me, I love the taste and aroma from my buds and I dont want to mess them up.
I agree with the PitViper. Water cureing is good for buds that are not properly flushed before harvesting. Takes away alot of the harshness. :peace:

BUT It supposedly makes smoother smoke! That is appealing to me, the smoother the smoke the bigger the hit!

However, I am concerned with pit and zodiak as well about the water ripping trichomes off. I look forward to your experiment!

I totally wouldn't mind having a big jar of air cured buds and a small special jar for the water cured..... it might be nice for the change of smoke on the same strain.

Ultrasonic I have a mission statement submission for your Independent testing group....

ULTRASONIC
BIGGER AND BETTER YIELDS THROUGH RESEARCH AND TESTING​

CK

All you have to do is just be gentle with them and the trichs won't be knocked off. If you do just strain the water through a coffee filter and get some free hash.

I've got some ladies in their final dark period before being harvested tomorro mornin, and i've predetermined that I was going to water cure a good portion of it.
Why? Have you ever made cannabutter and it has that godaweful taste? and you're butter was green as hell? When you water cure this doesnt happen, and while the butter turns a tad darker, it doesnt look like green gulp at all. Water cured bud is absolutely phenomenal for cooking! cookies, brownies all taste even better and dont deviate from their normal color much.
Water cured bud makes for a great stealth smoke too. Get yourself a pack of hemp pseudo cigarette rolling papers. Get a pack of filters and roll up you water cured bud in the "cigarette" paper. I guarentee you can walk infront of a cop and he/she wont smell shit. I know for some ppl this has no appeal. But the charlies are cracking down on ppl who smoke in the city, manhattan in particular. So this helps major for me.;)

Hey ultrasonic. Very interesting. I definitely want to try it on a portion of my next harvest. I wish I had read this thread earlier because I've been air curing my buds for several days already. Regardless, I put two buds into a jar of water today. Gotta see what happens.

If there is one thing I can say is dont knock it till you try it. Would it not be easy pit to put a 5gram bud in freash water every day for 4or 5 days then dry it and finally know for yourself. and wouldn't even be funnier if then you changed your mind and harvested everything water cure LMAO the thoughts of a pot head. I want to try a little of this on next harvest or my friend will be very soon so we will see cant hurt to try a littlle bud. just do it and find out the real way,I know all you pot heads love to experiment and feel cool just like me doing it, it is health for the mind and is ultimatly why we are wheere we are at today. tchnology is great and improving everyday. "Recently discoverd WEED in a 2000 year old tomb" if there was water curing they probably did it.
You Stay Classy, San Diego. I'm Ron Burgandy?

-Less bag appeal

Best bud I ever smoked looked like something most people would have thrown out. Been looking for that sativa for over 20 years. Bag appeal as a priority is for sellers and kids. I'm more than willing to close my eyes if it'll open my head.

I have heard about water curing but it was always n-th hand stories or else someone trying to recoup some value from a failure (in which case they did the entire amount, not a side-by-side comparison). I'll be interested in your results.

Anyone have a good cheap method for super-saturing water with oxygen without disturbing it?

I've got some ladies in their final dark period before being harvested tomorro mornin, and i've predetermined that I was going to water cure a good portion of it.
Why? Have you ever made cannabutter and it has that godaweful taste? and you're butter was green as hell? When you water cure this doesnt happen, and while the butter turns a tad darker, it doesnt look like green gulp at all. Water cured bud is absolutely phenomenal for cooking! cookies, brownies all taste even better and dont deviate from their normal color much.
Water cured bud makes for a great stealth smoke too. Get yourself a pack of hemp pseudo cigarette rolling papers. Get a pack of filters and roll up you water cured bud in the "cigarette" paper. I guarentee you can walk infront of a cop and he/she wont smell shit. I know for some ppl this has no appeal. But the charlies are cracking down on ppl who smoke in the city, manhattan in particular. So this helps major for me.;)

+reps for great information - i'm water curing and making cannabutter!

That'll teach me not to explain myself.:ganjamon:

I have seen at wastewater treatment plants the vats that are so oxygenated you'd sink right to the bottom because the entire multi-thousand gallons are almost a unique state between a liquid and a gas. Obviously, the minute that the system stops, the water starts acting like water again - but when I read this thread about water-curing, I thought of those vats.

Simple aeration wouldn't work because it would disturb the herb.

H2O2 might be interesting. Then again, that's not dissolved oxygen, it's bonded to the hydrogen until it is released. Hmm.

Guess I've (cumulatively) had one bowl too many.

Back when I had no place to grow and the medical scene had not happened yet, sometimes I had to buy brick weed and the first thing I would do with it was soak it in water and get the dirt and chlorophyl out of it. It was always better after it dried, took some of the nasty out. When I make cannabutter I boil water and butter together and add pot, when I strain it and cool it the water is full of nasty brown crap and the oil is in the butter, it's the same separation. Pot has water soluble elements that will leach out in water, it does not reduce the potency of your weed, that stuff is just packaging anyway.

I saw Lil N's grow and he did a water cure on one bud. It inspired me to talk my buddy into doing it to one oh his..

(well he tried it on two now..lol) after about 3 days, the bud sank, so he figured it was done

here are some pics from last night showing the wet bud...

IMG326.jpg

IMG325.jpg

only have the blackberry phone camera right now, so quality of pic not that good.. sorry

Back
Top Bottom