Cave Curing

DragonJeans

I have not been able to find anyone else talking about this, so I thought you all might appreciate seeing how I cure.

In SoCal, humidity is typically extremely low when most people harvest (Octoberish for outdoor and most times of the year for indoor). I dug my root cellar for fermenting beers and storing produce. Turns out it is also perfect for curing buds @ 55 F and 50% humidity on average.
root_cellar_full_of_buds_cave_cured_marijuana.jpg

In 4 to 6 weeks, buds cure nice and sloooooowly, allowing more resin to be pulled to the surface. A good cure easily adds 30% potency and bag appeal over a fast, dry curing then burping. You can almost forget about burping if you let the buds cure long enough underground.

Is there anyone else out there who does anything similar?

Want to make your own cave/cellar?

What I did:
1) dig down at least 3 feet and support the walls from collapsing with wood or concrete block
2) pile the earth around the edges to increase the total depth
3) use hay bales to build up walls
4) roof the top with plywood, covered in hay
5) make sure that the door is north facing so that the sun will never hit it

For smaller grows, I can envision a cellar that you never even walk into- just a hole and a roof.

Now that's interesting. My property actually has an 100 year old root cellar which was used to store potatoes and other vegetables. Same temperature and humidity all year around. I was considering it for long-term storage of cannabis, but now I have to try to cure some in there as well :) Thanks for the tip

You got me thinking too. I have a well pit that is not used anymore, about 4' deep, 2.5' wide, and 5' long. Concrete walls and a metal roof that I could insulate. It sounds good but there are always lots of crickets down there. Maybe if I start spraying insecticide now I could have it ready for the fall harvest. Thanks for bringing an old thread back to the surface Deville.

Now I have another project :tokin:

Yeah! Interesting as fuck.

Here's my "cave"

Need a little cleaning, a little fixing and maybe a door :)

root_001.jpg
root_002.jpg
root_003.jpg

We have a root cellar that currently holds apples and veg. The concern is that whatever naturally occurring from the decaying organic matter already in the cellar would affect the curing cannabis? Possibly mold? Thinking I could dry it in a paper bag in the root cellar with the hope of the paper being a physical barrier. Thoughts?

I would measure temperatures and humidity levels over a period of time. Buy one of those that store highest/lowest temp/humidity so you can learn what the ranges are. If it's too humid (above 60-65% I believe) you should not cure them there. Seems my cave is too humid. Will think about ways to reduce it to acceptable levels

We have a root cellar that currently holds apples and veg. The concern is that whatever naturally occurring from the decaying organic matter already in the cellar would affect the curing cannabis? Possibly mold? Thinking I could dry it in a paper bag in the root cellar with the hope of the paper being a physical barrier. Thoughts?

Oh - And I read somewhere that if you store other fruits together with apples, the apples make the other fruits decay faster. Not sure if it's true though

Oh - And I read somewhere that if you store other fruits together with apples, the apples make the other fruits decay faster. Not sure if it's true though

If you don't have a properly vented root cellar (we do) then the off gassing from the apples hastens the decay of certain veggies. We have a dry area and a humid area. Garlic, onions, etc like it dry. Maybe cannabis as well. Hygrometer on the way....

My cave has some issues. I notice temps and RH is pretty stabile until it rains. Then humidity boost to 99% for a while. Should check when it rains to determine if there is any leaks causing this to happen

Back
Top Bottom