First time grower - Outdoor - Harvest status opinions please

Zafu

Greetings,

I've read the threads on how to know when to harvest and picked up a jewelers loop. Even with the loop I find it a bit confusing, probably because the looking glass holes are so small, just not getting the view and length of time with a proper view to my liking. Actually considering picking up a portable microscope/camera so I can capture close up pictures in the field.

By the way, I've read where we should look at the mushroom cap of the trichome, but should we also be looking at the body of it? If the cap looks cloudy but the body is clear, seems to me I'd call that clear. Thoughts?

So I'm growing for the first time and it's an outdoor grow. Growing three types, Vanilla Kush, Acapulco Gold and Laughing Buddha in Northern Cal, at about 39 N. Latitude.

The Vanilla Kush will be the first to harvest, no doubt. Seed bank notes it takes 55-60 days and estimate it began flowering August 1, 2016, so expecting to harvest October 1st. Other two will likely be ready a few weeks later; thinking Acapulco October 15 and Laughing Buddha make go to October 21st or so. We'll see.

Planted inside on April 28th and moved to its perm. home in 25 gallon smart pots on June 4, 2016.

Any way, posting what pictures I could capture on my iPad and any and all feedback would be much appreciated.

Vanilla Kush Close-up
VanillaKush_9_9_16.jpg

Vanilla Kush Bud
VanillaKush_bud_9_9_2016.jpg

My Grow - Vanilla Kush on Right, Middle is Laughing Buddha, Gold on left
Grow_9_9_2016.jpg

Namaste,

Zafu

( If the cap looks cloudy but the body is clear, seems to me I'd call that clear.) That is what I call cloudy.

The shaft will stay clear most of the time. It is the cap that will change.

Not ready yet Zafu. I'm at 37ºN & the earliest strains have never been ready before mid Sept. Take most towards end of Sept. into Oct. Besides trichomes, consider pistil colors & fragrance. Pistils are mostly colored & into wilting when buds are ripe. Yours are still all white. Most plants hit strongest fragrance at peak ripeness. If you use all 3 factors, it's more accurate than just going by trichomes & day count. Beautiful garden brother. :Namaste:

Thank you guys so much.

@brightlight - That makes absolute sense to me. It's easy to get caught-up and analytical about some of this. I must of spent a few hours through-out the day just trying to get a good look at the trichomes and distinguish between clear, cloudy & amber heads. It really looked more done than not but then when I pulled back and took it all in, just didn't seem done to me. I remember watching a youtube video of a south african trek to marijuana fields and was taken with the comments on how the natives knew when to harvest. They knew when the buds were swelled, had that pungent aroma and were sticky.

With experience this all is probably second nature, but for the first grow it's tough, especially when spending so much time and love on these from seed to now; not wanting to blow it.

Thank you all. -Zafu

They definitely 2-3 weeks more.

More time. W/o magnification the trichome pictures will not tell us much. Too many new white pistils for it to appear done.

With an anticipated 2-3 weeks remaining on the Vanilla Kush, is it ok to give them their last feeding today? Please say yes, lol since I already have. After I fed them I began second guessing myself if the 2-week flush starts at point I would begin feeding again, or after the last feed. ??

I left out the PK boost powder I use (Organic Vermigrow 1-13-6) since that's a two week feed generally as it's a powder and slower to be used. However I did give them Vital Fish 2-4-0 and Krazy Kelp 1-0-17 with a shot of Baseline (JPeat Humus) to help with dissolving. For the Acapulco Gold and Laughing Buddha that has more of a 4-week time-line to completion I gave those all the above.

I used Ocean Forest soil with very light feeding throughout the grow (actually fed them nothing for entire month of July), which is why I'm continuing to provide a little bit of Nitrogen still. From what I understand, these Nutes are derived from quality stuff in a manner that means the plants won't be force fed and only take from the soil what they need.

Thank you.

Zafu

Im by far no expert but you have some here that answered!
Brightlight we're neighbors! I figure I wont start to harvest until mid Oct.
Zafu, the rule of thumb for outdoor is.... pick when you have to! If you think its ready wait a week.
Its better to be a week late than a week early. I like them to be at least half dark.
Duke, great to know! Just the heads change.
I got another scope coming from Amazon and I hope this ones easier to hold STILL!! Im actually getting better with the one I have but another is on the way!
F**k I got buds hairs turning red and Im at least a month away with those Im thinking, and getting ready to Cha Ching soon!!! Ive got three others that look like mid nov. harvest. What fun!!! Namaste

The way I scope is to hold the scope against my face a little like just on my eyebrow and move in and out. That takes a lot of shake out of it for me.

Heres a harvest question for you experts.......
In the few grows Ive done Ive reveged clones for both a spring and fall crop and back to spring crop, etc. Its unorthodox but works. Outdoor grows to flower and inside for veg. depending on time of year.
Last year was the first year I had a scope and I noticed it seems my Trics. went from cloudy to dark to popped all on the same bud. I thought maybe because the plant has been heavily manipulated is why? But also maybe my imagination? Ive only done a few grows and Ive had (Experts? Ha!) people tell me I wait too long and I dont wait long enough! I now know its not by how many days or red hairs or smell its by tric. development! Yes!
Ok question was...... you think they seem to be cloudy, dark and popped on the same bud is because of the plants manipulation???
I will see this years yard grow from seed without any manipulation. Theres only one out there this year that was reveged.
Namaste.

Ok question was...... you think they seem to be cloudy, dark and popped on the same bud is because of the plants manipulation???

Well, I'm new and no expert but always thought Trichomes have different ages. I mean, how can they all appear at exactly the same time? So if they don't, would suggest a variety of stages through-out the Trichomes and then come down to personal choice of what percent one wishes cloudy or amber. Just my 2-cents

I'd guess two weeks+

Looks/feels like two weeks on the Vanilla to me as well and I do have a loop. Thinking of getting a portable microscope with a SD card so I can snap better Trichome pictures and upload them on the PC. Would you guys suggest that or am I being too anal?

Today's pics just for future reference.

Vanilla Kush (Expect to be ready in two weeks or so) Probably space the harvest of these three vanilla plants out to have sort of an early, middle and late harvest. In fact, probably do that for all three varieties.
Vanilla_9_17_2016.JPG

Laughing Buddha (easily another month, I think)
Buddha_9_17_2017.JPG

Acapulco Gold (possibly a week or so before the Buddha, so perhaps 3+ weeks)
Acapulco_9_17_2016.JPG

Thanks -Zafu

If you have a big plant take the biggest colas first, and then middle ones week or 2 weeks after, and then smallest ones if they can sustain the weather conditions. Easier to dry them too in batches than all at once. As far as maturity go with trichomes but also look at the whole plant. If colas do not pack anymore, pistils start to die, and the plant looks ready, start harvesting.

Back
Top Bottom