First time growing - Outdoor harvest check

fryingtiger

Let me start by saying this is my first time growing and it was completely by accident. I noticed two plants growing off my patio (where i pitch any seeds that I find) So I potted them.
Flowering began first week of september, Its now mid october (about 7 weeks total).
This is what they look like right now. I have no way to check the tri-chromes but I took these photos with as much zoom as I could manage. It is getting colder here rapidly (overnight temps down to lower 50's even high 40's some days) with daytime temps reaching 70's max. Plus alot less sun and cold rain. So I am concerned the crop will spoil if its allowed to stay out for much longer.
Also I should note that this is a totally unknown to me strain as it was just two random seeds that began growing.
Any ideas or suggestions would be welcome, and Thanks.

IMG_248024.JPG
IMG_247730.JPG
IMG_247520.JPG

From what I can see in the pics they Trichomes do look like plastic (cloudy no longer transparent. What kind of his GB are you after? For a energetic heady high harvest when 50-60% of the hairs are brown kinda like they are now in certain photos. If your more into the body high (Bruh I can't move) then give it another week or two until more hairs go brown.

I would prefer if I could to get a 50/50 result Not couchlock but still speedy. So I wanted to shoot for what would be a 40% trichrome change (I think based upon reading). However, at this point of the year I would just settle for good to go whatever way it works out, as long as it doesnt get spoiled by too soon or possible unforseen shock frost.

I have not done this but some folks throw a sheet or light tarp over them at night when freezing temps are forecast. However if they are visible to neighbors that could be an issue.

Best of luck, even they look great.:thumb:

Honestly if that's the buzz you want get them out now, judging by the photos they look ready for that kind of high. I prefer the energetic high as well , can't play basketball with couch lock!

Those temps arent that cold yet in my opinion. low 50 and high 70?? Close to mine. Id say leave it.
You need a magnifier and check Trics. A plant can look done as heck but clear to cloudy Trics and 3 weeks off yet. (You experts please weigh in)
I harvested some already but a little too soon I think. Im waiting until Fri. for next round. The last pic is whats going next
Happy Harvest!!
Namaste
20161003_111615.jpg
20161012_090700.jpg
20161012_151841.jpg
20161012_151823.jpg
20161015_121005.jpg

I'm not an outdoor grower so unfortunately I can't judge what the weather will be like for you over there but looking at the lack of fully swollen calyces, plus the fact that you have strong white hairs (pistils) growing from them, and not even a hint of amber in sight I would definitely try to hold off awhile as the yield will be far greater and the potency much more so. You should still get a speedy high as they are but it will be weak and probably won't last very long (sometimes a good thing). Worst comes to the worst though you still have a yield currently and they will mature slightly during the drying/curing phase. All the best

Compare your bud shot to the ones 4Dutchess has up and you will see what I mean. Nice work there too 4Dutchess

Thankyou Kriase.
Checking Trics can be confusing. Ive got clear, cloudy and amber on the same bud. Im thinking that if its showing any amber its done, or VERY close.
Ive read much on checking trics and harvest, As a greenhorn grower Im trying to learn. This 420 site says to check trics after its dry and to speed dry it??? First Ive read to check trics dry but makes sense. So if any are amber while growing Im thinking its done??? Anyone?????
Namaste

Hello 4Dutchess, I usually check my trichomes with either a close up macro shot or I put them under my microscope (which makes for some pretty ethereal pictures btw). I see no need to quick dry the bud as that would make what I'm seeing irrelevant to the plant as it actually is currently.

As for when to harvest that is more down to a matter of preference, clear heads will be a very cerebral high and may not last so long whereas mainly cloudy is usually when the trichomes are reaching peak THC levels. For a body stone some people will wait until 30% amber trichomes, but bear in mind that those amber trichomes are not true CBD along with it's medicinal properties, it is just THC degrading into CBN. Basically you can't 'create' more CBD on a plant than it actually has in it's strain, it's all CBN which simulates CBD ;)

Whilst it was mentioned I'll post a couple of those trichome pictures taken using photomicrography:

IMGP3366rs.jpg
IMGP3410rs.jpg

Back
Top Bottom