Here is what you remove when you wash buds - Pics

spacef

After seeing a video by Pigeon420, I decided to wash the buds to see if it can remove the fibers from cloth, or dust etc, and to take pictures to show to the world. I too, was afraid of degrading the trichomes, and not sure it could remove cloth fibers, etc, but in terms of washing, it works very well.

I used a different method that the one i saw (people, feel free to reply with your own dosage/methods etc to help other people).

Method: wash the buds then pour the dirty water in a filter of 0.25 microns .

1 full plant was washed. It is the Washing Machine strain, the name is her destiny ;-)

Dosage:
- I pressed 2 organic lemons, then I filtered the lemon juice with a tea filter (empty tea bags, to make your own tea bags), to remove the pulp. I got half a glass of filtered lemon juice (15 cl?).
- I added baking soda in the same proportions as filtered lemon juice (a bit less than 2 soup spoons)
- I added that lemon+baking soda mixture to 1 tank of 18 Liters of tap water (nb, it is fizzy and makes foam, don't be afraid, or just put them seperately in the water).

I used 3 tanks of water, 18L each. The 2 last tank are used to wash the baking soda + lemon.

2 first tanks = filled with tap water that i let sit a few hours to have less chlorine.
Last tank= bottled water only, no tap water.
Temp of the water, not measured, but probably around 24°C (slightly warm, not hot, not cold).

I dipped each cutting 5 - 10 second in each bath, a little bit more in the last one. In various motions (up-down, swirl) then up, let a few drops out, then to the next bath.
d102-002.jpg

Then I took the used water (not the last tank that i will use for my balcony) and poured it in the 0.25 micron bubble bag, and grabbed the DSLR:

Here is what i get from the 2 first tanks.

1st thing to note: whatever it is , there is not enough for a joint...may be 1 puff. But what is it really???
d102-003.jpg

Looks like a few amber trichomes and dust
d102-004.jpg

The Purple "bullets" come from the bubble bag, fabric. It is the only thing I have of this color. I did not wash it before use... so, wash your bubble bags before use.

There are a lot of fibers of different colors. I did not expect that much from washing....

d102-004b.jpg

The black things are probably old trichome feet. Remember that, between the net and the various manipulations during the 2 month of flowering, the plants trichomes have suffered a bit. this is probably the casualties. Unless it is insect poo, but i don't have insects that i can see with the eyes.
d102-004c.jpg

The clear thing is definitely trichome feet. The black stuff could be soil sent on the buds when spraying or watering. And I think there is a small insect (under the "black rock") or at least from this angle, it looks like a small insect skeleton, or it could be something else (young pistil? alien lifeform stuck in my weed? can't tell...)

d102-005.jpg

This is from an indoor grow with filtered tent inputs. It is not filtered when i open the tent's door, which happens often, that's when dust comes in, or fibers from cloth, or other stuff. Imagine that outdoors, it is probably much much worse.

I think I am convinced now that bud washing is beneficial to the cleanliness of the final product... I hope I won't have problem drying it...

nope, they look the same, and they dry pretty fast too in my environment (my drying tent is a small propagator tent, but has 190 m3/h extraction, so it makes a nice wind inside the room to suck humidity - my RH is 55% today). + it is filtered against dust of course :)

It is not really a "wash"', it is more about dipping and moving the buds gently into the water, several times. The lemon+baking soda do the work of removing grease and dust. It cannot be compared to washing an apple for example, it is much much softer.

heya friend,, interesting points about washing buds,, i do it as well, least for sure for my outdoor grows, but i can say this for sure,, a lotto folks say nothing of value is washed off the buds when washing,, but,, check the inside of the container the washing is being done in,, after the wash,, one can 'feel' the stickiness on the walls of the container, or the sink,, i am currently rethinking my washing techniques for the future,, cheers

couldn't that stickiness be pollution or treatment from the neighborhood? when i wash a tomato or apple bought at the store it can be greasy and sticky (non organic especially).
Also, one of the container was new, and I washed it like the others and it was sticky just as you said, some factory coating or other customers of the shop where i bought the tank
I mean, it could be the pollution itself.
Depends on how you do it too. I did it very gently, more gently than bubble hash, and in a water temp that doesn't break trich heads, and i think the dose of baking soda + lemon is active but gentle too.

Nice post Spacef.
Nivek I've seen the posted results of two different lab test on washed vs unwashed buds. One was done by Robert Celt and one by a 'former member' you know well who had the last name Panty. Both tests showed no loss of thc or any other of the ingredients we love so much. Actually both showed a tiny increase in the washed bud. Not sure if that was just lab margin of error or there is another reason.
My experience with bud washing was very positive. I just wish I had time to do it regularly, but most often have to trim and toss it in the drier and move on.

heya weaseley,, ha, known as dutty,, ha,, he will be remembered, indeed,, good points weaseley,, and space,, agree,, however,, this is what i know,,

there is sticky residue on the container when i am finished washing,,

now, even my wife noticed it in out kitchen sink when i washed the mama thai buds, they were so long i used the sink,,

and this, i think i remember about what i read about the no trichomes in the water testing like you said weaseley,, as i recall it,, there was no residue of any value 'in the water' after washing,, i do not recall if the report mentioned about the containers, any residue on them, dunno

space,, if you are adding something to the water, for washing purposes, that is for removing 'grease', as you mentioned, well,, grease is made of the same stuffs as trichomes, will lemon juice remove 'grease', i dunno that either

this i do know,, there is residue of the sticky variety on my containers after washing..

The tests I mentioned were on bud samples washed/unwashed and not on the water as far as I remember.
I can think of a good way to find out the answer... Mmmmm bucket scrapings :lot-o-toke:

ok, i am sure there was that test, but i do recall some testing,, maybe not real scientific, where the water was tested for residue, and none was found,,

space,, if you are adding something to the water, for washing purposes, that is for removing 'grease', as you mentioned, well,, grease is made of the same stuffs as trichomes, will lemon juice remove 'grease', i dunno that either

I don't put enough of that mixture to reach the point where it could disolve a trichom head :)

It is baking soda + clear vinegar at (15% or so) that would really harm the plants. I use baking soda+vinegar to clean vaping products, remove tar from coils etc.

But lemon is different and much softer.
the lemon by itself is just a bit of acid and allows to get rif of bacterias.
When you mix it with baking soda , i suppose it has a little more abrasive power but not enough to destroy the weed or the trich bubbles envelopes.

And I use a little dose, not much.

Moreover, it's edible (lemon juice+a little bit of baking soda, some people drink that for various health benefits), but i wash it anyway in 2 additional bath of only water.

Nice, do the flowers look any different after the wash?

Sent from my iPhone using 420 Magazine Mobile App

I find, as do many of us who wash our buds in this fashion, that the washed buds have a crisper coloration than unwashed buds. We've also determined that the wash helps the buds dry in a more uniform way and cure better. This is all anecdotal evidence, but there are many of us having these experiences, and we can't all be discounted.

ok, i am sure there was that test, but i do recall some testing,, maybe not real scientific, where the water was tested for residue, and none was found,,

nivek, be even more gentle the next time. Do you use any foliars in your grows? That could account for part of the stickiness. It could also be caused from the tiny number of trichomes damaged by the process. That stuff spreads like mad and sticks like glue to anything it comes into contact with, so it wouldn't surprise me to find a small sheen of lost oils.

I washed my yard grow for the first time and it gets my BIG buds too wet I think. Ive got a floor fan on them because Im afraid they will ruin. My small buds are great but the monster 1/4lb.ers seem too wet. Im not sure how much of a fan of washing I am yet. 2" rain over the weekend and mother nature washed and flushed them enough for me. Last pic is whats going next!
Namaste
20161012_150802.jpg
20161012_151841.jpg
20161012_151823.jpg
20161015_121005.jpg

Here it dried in 7 days. around 55 % hygro, 19 / 21°C, in a small box with 190m3/h extraction, that ensure that there is air going through.

I love the texture it has. Not sure it is the weed or the washing process but it is great. leaves are not crisp but grind easily. I can feel all the sugar heads between my fingers. I am happy to got rid of all the cr*p i removed. less opportunity to cough (or smoke dust and fibers or else).

I washed more :)
d108-072-0006.jpg

darn,

Today I chopped and manicured but no bud wash :rofl:

She was grown with a "HEPA" airfilter attached to the blower that forced air all over her round dank body.

but I'm not dissing the wash... I think it's great for dusty buds for example

Ever since Pidgeon, or someone else perhaps noticed that there was a sticky scum lining the bucket after the wash which kinda concerns me so I didn't do it this time.

Yea this grammar is terrible but continue reading :bongrip:

One time I tried to make ice hash with fresh bud and something similar happened... sticky film around the inside surface of the bowl.

So maybe washing fresh buds is dangerous to the trichomes... just saying.

Here's a trich shot and it came out like this :

IMG_014350.JPG

I washed my yard grow for the first time and it gets my BIG buds too wet I think. Ive got a floor fan on them because Im afraid they will ruin. My small buds are great but the monster 1/4lb.ers seem too wet. Im not sure how much of a fan of washing I am yet. 2" rain over the weekend and mother nature washed and flushed them enough for me. Last pic is whats going next!
Namaste

That rain soaking may well have been enough of a wash. :laughtwo: I'm curious as to how the mega buds dried. Our experiences have been smaller buds, for the most part, but the wash actually helps them dry more evenly.

She was grown with a "HEPA" airfilter attached to the blower that forced air all over her round dank body.
So maybe washing fresh buds is dangerous to the trichomes... just saying.

I will get a HEPA at some point (i am building my own purifier with carbon filters and extractor i don't use anymore) , but also i think i will get an outfit without fibers, like science guys wear in their labs..; i am just concerned that, if someone sees me in this outfit, he will think that i'm "Walter White aka Heisenberg " making meth in my living room :) ... unless i choose the "adam" outfit :)

I don't know if washing buds does something to trichs, but i can tell you that my washed weed is really fine ;-) :ganjamon:

spacef said:
I don't know if washing buds does something to trichs, but i can tell you that my washed weed is really fine ;-) :ganjamon:

Couldn't agree more.

IMG_024858.JPG

I hesitate to remove this one, since it's already been liked by someone, so I'll leave it here as a reminder to myself to start checking the thread I'm on before I post. :laughtwo: Thanks for tolerating my madness spacef. :hug:

Let's stop worrying about the sheen on the Carnival. I went to check the clones and realized they don't have a sheen either.

IMG_025857.JPG

What they have is the look of very healthy plants. Just like the big girl in the tent. I'm sure the Recharge will give her the umph! I'm looking for.

Sorry about the confusion guys. I was so high when I was going out to dinner that I didn't realize I was on the wrong journal. :laughtwo:

While out I was wondering where this post ended up. I was beginning to think the Dark Devil Auto had me doing some serious hallucinating. Lol! I'll just take the wandering post back home where it belongs.

Back
Top Bottom