Cure times?

Jackalope

One thing I haven't seen here is optimum cure times for certain strains. Cure times really effect taste and smell and take time. How long are your Cure times?

Two weeks is the bare minimum where I can be pretty sure it's stabilized in the jar and I can assume the hygrometer in the jar is trustworthy, it doesn't need to be checked a lot, and isn't going to go mouldy behind my back. You can smoke it, it won't kill you but it's going to be a fairly shitty version of what it could become.

Six weeks is when I find that the smell and flavour is really starting to come out. This is about the minimum cure time before I would give any away to friend without having to apologize profusely for the low quality and harshness.

Three months is kind of a minimum 'good cure'

After ten months I'm noticing smells come out that weren't there before. For example, a blueberry I used to grow smelled amazingly like blueberry during flower, but the smell never came out in the jar -till it was forgotten in the back of the shelf and cured ten months.

A year or longer and the smoke continues to mellow. Smells may start to decline just a little - but better described as a mellowing effect. At this point you're getting into long term storage and might want to consider things like vacuum jars and Boveda packs, if you haven't already.

I thought I might get a few more response to this thread. Thanks for the input weaselcracker. Not often do I have enough to tide me over for a longer cure time.
A month is my normal cure time. Mostly because it is needed. As time goes by more flavor starts coming though. Trailer Trash Betty my favorite strain needs very little cure time. The breeders says longer cure times only deplete the THC content. He has grown this for years so I go with what he says.
I have some Jack the Ripper and Tangie budding now and I want to give them the proper cure.

Yeah I thought you to get more input as well. And maybe you will. There are some good threads discussing curing in this forum and sometime when I have more time I could dig some up for you. But I think what I said pretty much covers the basic timeline. Not so sure about that idea of 'thc dropping' with a cure, but who knows.

Thanks for the info. Looking for more cure information on threads here. I have never had any problems with curing. I'm just looking for ways I can take my stuff to new levels.

Back
Top Bottom