Curing fan leaves to use as wrappers ala cigar wrapers

CookieMan

Passionado
Hi, I want to try making a wrapper leaf from large fan leaves like is done with tobacco leaves for cigars. I understand that the fan leaves are not ideal for this from a shape perspective, but I also had to cut down a male plant today.

I intend to document my journey here and I hope this proves helpful to someone else. If you have any experiences or would like to join in, please feel free.

I chopped down the plant on the right today:

5-6-17-5.jpg

All the fan leaves were removed and the small leaves were discarded. I sorted the fan leaves into three piles based on size. They were stacked neatly and placed in a glass pyrex baking dish, then covered with a towel. I plan to burp the towel once daily and let the leaves dry slowly over the next month or two. This technique was inspired by this video on YouTube about curing tobacco. The goal is to let the leaves yellow and then start to brown before hanging to dry. I hope for the leaves to get a nice brown cure and be flexible like a cigar wrapper leaf.

No, they got crispy before turning brown. I will keep expirimenting to try and get a process that works. I think having a larger volume of leaves might help. It also probably helps to have more mature leaves. I may also try with boveda packs.

how about wrapping them wet then letting them dry around the weed.
Greetings @Hash Hound !

That's really the difference between green rolling (with fresh/wet leaves), and cured-leaf rolling (as @CookieMan is describing): curing before or after the roll.

I'm trying to learn best practices for fan leaf rolling, and there seem to be those two schools of thought - green vs cured leaf rolling. From what I've gathered, those who prefer cured leaf rolling would argue that green rolling doesn't allow for a proper cure, and that it either traps chlorophyll or transfers it to the core during the curing process. I am NO expert and have yet to try either method, but I'm leaning toward using cured leaves.

As for the curing process itself, green rollers typically place the rolled cannagar into a mason jar to cure for at least two weeks. The green fan leaves will dry in place, throwing off what chlorophyll they can. The finished product is ideally not especially green, but I've seen some very green rolls that were considered finished products.

Cured leaf rollers first (obviously) cure the fan leaves well in advance of the roll. I've heard one experienced cannagar maker explain that he places green fan leaves between sheets of cardboard. The cardboard absorbs and wicks away moisture, while also keeping the fans fairly flat as they cure. I would assume that you would want to store that cardboard-fan leaf sandwich in a cool, dry place and periodically check on it to ensure even drying and overall progress of the cure. I've been advised that this process takes about 2.5 weeks for a proper cure to remove all available chlorophyll so your leaf wrapper doesn't detract from the flavor and experience of your creation.

Investigation continues, and I intend to report back in 2.5 weeks. 😬

Back
Top Bottom