Water Curing?

How has your water cured bud been? My goal with this thread is to have side by side comparisons of air cured vs water cured by those who have done both, hopefully with the same strain from the same plant. Here is the start of my journey:
420-magazine-mobile276628603.jpg
420-magazine-mobile887628614.jpg

I'm using reverse osmosis water to water cure and this is day 1 about 16 hours in.

If you have successfully completed this please upload pics of water and air cured buds and give us a description of the flavor, aroma, smoke, and high of both (if they are the same strain).

Doesn't that make your buds soggy and hard to light? ;)

Seriously, this looks interesting. I'm getting ready to harvest and am willing to give this a try on a sample bud. (And that photo sure got my attention.)

Question: Why not just take the next step and grind the buds first to make the extraction of the water-soluble component more efficient?

<edit> On the thread below they talk about being gentle with the bud so as not to knock the trichomes off. Hadn't thought of that.

I don't like inhaling any kind of smoke, so I usually vape or make tinctures. It occurs to me this could be a first step in that process to remove the water-soluble components and maybe make the tincture taste better?
</edit>

Here's a good, eight-year-old thread about water curing for the curious: Water Curing Marijuana

Doesn't that make your buds soggy and hard to light? ;)

Seriously, this looks interesting. I'm getting ready to harvest and am willing to give this a try on a sample bud. (And that photo sure got my attention.)

Question: Why not just take the next step and grind the buds first to make the extraction of the water-soluble component more efficient?

On the thread below they talk about being gentle with the bud so as not to knock the trichomes off. Hadn't thought of that.

I don't like inhaling any kind of smoke, so I usually vape or make tinctures. It occurs to me this could be a first step in that process to remove the water-soluble components and maybe make the tincture taste better?

Here's a good, eight-year-old thread about water curing for the curious: Water Curing Marijuana
My understanding is the benefit is greatest for those who don't smoke. It's supposed to be amazing for edibles, oils and the such. I'm going for smoke and haven't came across much info for that side. So here we are. Being gentle is no. 1. The only issue I've had so far is air bubbles on the bud. Some tapping and light shaking helped.

You would probably get more and better responses over on the Harvest, Preparation & Curing forum. (You could click "Report Post" and ask an admin to move it.)
Thank you. I use the mobile app and, as smooth as it is, it's not easy to navigate and some functions are lost (or impossible for me to find). I've reported and asked it to be moved.

I water cured my last grow. But this strain (Shining Silver Haze) is really hard to smoke, even water cured.
But all went in coconut oil.

The big difference is that it smell and taste nothing compared to air cured.
I smoke other strain water cured, it was really smooth, and tasted like water! :laugh:

Here's some pictures, 7 days water cured then 24h air dried.

IMG_20170308_190048.jpg

IMG_20170308_190248.jpg

I water cured my last grow. But this strain (Shining Silver Haze) is really hard to smoke, even water cured.
But all went in coconut oil.

The big difference is that it smell and taste nothing compared to air cured.
I smoke other strain water cured, it was really smooth, and tasted like water! :laugh:

Here's some pictures, 7 days water cured then 24h air dried.

IMG_20170308_190048.jpg

IMG_20170308_190248.jpg
Great pics! Interesting on the taste being like water. Mine smelled like mangos when I pulled it out today.

I'm wondering if changing out to clean water more often will make the process faster.

I would think that up to a point, yes. I mean, what you're doing here it seems to me is just letting any water-soluble components go into solution and then removing them. As someone here said earlier, fresh water means lower osmotic pressure (i.e. less stuff "pushing back" on other stuff coming out of solution), so you should get faster extraction. I kind of doubt if that's a big effect. I would think that just keeping it in cool water (to reduce biological activity) and changing the water once a day should do it.

The best way to speed up the process would be to grind first to increase surface area.

Just changed out the water again. She looks the same and wasn't as cloudy as the first change out. Smell has changed from mango to grassy. Maybe that's a sign of what it's pulling out of the plant. Terpenes might have went first and now the chrolophyl and harsh stuff. Just a guess.

What the basic process? I've never heard of this method and I'm too lazy to google it. How long will you leave it in the water, and what will you do with it in the way of drying/curing after you take it out?

What the basic process? I've never heard of this method and I'm too lazy to google it. How long will you leave it in the water, and what will you do with it in the way of drying/curing after you take it out?

From an earlier post. (It will require the effort to click the link and then read the thread--no royal road and all that. :reading420magazine:)

Back
Top Bottom