Going away how to do with curing & harvest?

Cyndom

Hello! i am at the moment growing Durban Poision Auto. and im not sure if i will be able to finish it before going away for 5 weeks! but if i do havrest it, how can i make so it doesn't get bad until i come home ?, i can't cure it right ? because i have to open the lid everyday for 4 weeks right ??

re: Going away how to do with curing & harvest?

Hello! i am at the moment growing Durban Poision Auto. and im not sure if i will be able to finish it before going away for 5 weeks! but if i do havrest it, how can i make so it doesn't get bad until i come home ?, i can't cure it right ? because i have to open the lid everyday for 4 weeks right ??
Check this thread out, it may be just what you need. I am going to try it myself, but not because I'll be gone, it just sounds like you can get a very nice cure.
DrZiggy's Low And Slow Drying: Maximizing Your Harvest

No you don't have to open the lid every day. All you have to do is dry it to a point where it won't mould- then stick it in the jars. Get digital hygrometers that fit in your jars. As long as they're reading under 70 RH you should be mould prooof. Around 65 RH is even better. (give them several hours or preferably overnight in the jar to show a true reading). When you get back you can start opening the jars and dry the rest of the way down to about 60 RH.

No you don't have to open the lid every day. All you have to do is dry it to a point where it won't mould- then stick it in the jars. Get digital hygrometers that fit in your jars. As long as they're reading under 70 RH you should be mould prooof. Around 65 RH is even better. (give them several hours or preferably overnight in the jar to show a true reading). When you get back you can start opening the jars and dry the rest of the way down to about 60 RH.

how long would that be ? is it 3 days or 3 weeks ? , because the havrest and the trip will be verry close to eachother.

How long would what be?
You mean how long does it take to dry to the point where it won't go moldy? The longer the better if you want to have smoke that's not overly harsh. Three days is a sort of minimum for that. A week is a nice slow dry. But you can dry it in a few hours if you want to stick it in the oven or the microwave

How long would what be?
You mean how long does it take to dry to the point where it won't go moldy? The longer the better if you want to have smoke that's not overly harsh. Three days is a sort of minimum for that. A week is a nice slow dry. But you can dry it in a few hours if you want to stick it in the oven or the microwave
oh yeah thanks you answered the right question!, i forgot to finish the sentence!:D, so if i can take care of the weed for like 4-5 days it should be able to survive 5 weeks inside a closed yar ? and be used when i get home ? but it MIGHT also get destroyed ? its like 50-50 chance it would be ffresh ? , thanks for helping me im verry new at this so verry insecure about these stuff.

Destroyed? No not at all. Why would it be? Just get however many hygrometers you need - one per jar- make sure they'll fit inside. Get it dried to under 70RH and its business as usual. Personally if I see it's at 70 i feel nervous about mould still- I like to take it down to about 65 before assuming it will be fine.

Destroyed? No not at all. Why would it be? Just get however many hygrometers you need - one per jar- make sure they'll fit inside. Get it dried to under 70RH and its business as usual. Personally if I see it's at 70 i feel nervous about mould still- I like to take it down to about 65 before assuming it will be fine.
IF i dont have enought time to take it down to 65 before i have to go to my trip, how can i make the proceess faster so i can be sure it wont be all moldy and destroyed when i get home ?:),1 more question.. i have CFL lamp now 125w but it feels like it take ages for it to grow, wouldnt it be cheaper to just buy HPS if it goes faster with HPS? i mean in the end the cost should be the same, shouldnt it ? i mean if the CFL takes longer time to grow with, and HPS faster shouldnt the price be around the same but grow faster with HPS ? (im sorry for my bad English ), thanks for all the help!:)

As far as whether or not you have time to dry it before you go... the obvious answer is that if you want it dried you have to make time to dry it. Harvest it early enough that you have time..
Another option is to just throw it in the freezer green and undried. Can be used to make edibles and concentrates later. Not sure how it would be to try and dry later if it was frozen green - I don't know of anyone personally who's done this.

HPS lights are far better than cfls. They aren't the same price though since cfls only cost a few dollars each and a HPS setup is a few hundred. You will probably be dealing with more heat if you install HPS- and need to use vent fans.

As far as whether or not you have time to dry it before you go... the obvious answer is that if you want it dried you have to make time to dry it. Harvest it early enough that you have time..
Another option is to just throw it in the freezer green and undried. Can be used to make edibles and concentrates later. Not sure how it would be to try and dry later if it was frozen green - I don't know of anyone personally who's done this.

HPS lights are far better than cfls. They aren't the same price though since cfls only cost a few dollars each and a HPS setup is a few hundred. You will probably be dealing with more heat if you install HPS- and need to use vent fans.

ahh yeeah you are totally right! lol i was thinking about it but wasnt sure if it is more worth cutting it early and it might be abit less potent or if its more worth to fast dry it somehow before putting into jar.

well yeah i bought a tent , ventilation , reflector + "special" bulb holder , CFL veg lamp . 125w 6500k -> flower lamp CFL 125w 2700k For around 40- 50 euro each with special holder. but what i meant was.. if i pay lets say ... 30+ euro each month for electricity with the cfl one, but i maybe pay 50euro? with hps ? idk. but if it takes like 3-4 months with CFL and maybe 2 months with HPS, aint it more worth going with the HPS one ? because in the end aint the price almost the same in electricity cost?

A HPS lughtbisnt going to change the plant's growth cycles. It will take just as long to mature and to flower as it would under any other sort of light. But your plants will grow faster in the sense that they'll increase size faster in veg. And quality should be better. It's not economical to buy hundreds of dollars worth of cfls. They work ok for a tiny space but for anything bigger than that it makes more sense to upgrade to a different lighting style.

A HPS light isnt going to change the plant's basic growth cycles. It will take just as long to mature and to flower as it would under any other sort of light. But your plants will grow faster in the sense that they'll increase size faster in veg. And quality should be better. It's not economical to buy hundreds of dollars worth of cfls. They work ok for a tiny space but for anything bigger than that it makes more sense to upgrade to a different lighting style.

A HPS light isnt going to change the plant's basic growth cycles. It will take just as long to mature and to flower as it would under any other sort of light. But your plants will grow faster in the sense that they'll increase size faster in veg. And quality should be better. It's not economical to buy hundreds of dollars worth of cfls. They work ok for a tiny space but for anything bigger than that it makes more sense to upgrade to a different lighting style.
ahh i always thought HPS lamps made the growing time faster!

Back
Top Bottom