When do you like to harvest and why?

TopCola

420 Member
This thread is for the experienced growers of 420 magazine to share their harvest techniques and when they like to harvest. This is not a thread giving advice on how or when to harvest. We have all read the numerous "when should you harvest" blogs and we don't need another one. In this thread I would like to hear the different times people harvest and why they harvest then. I will start.

I like to let my plants go a little longer than recommended by the breeder. I find that the breeders give the earliest date it can be harvested to attract buyers. I mainly grow fast flowering 7-8 week (as recommended) varieties. I find letting them go a little longer lets the bud size increase. Typically I have gone 9-10 weeks. I wait until I see about 20 percent amber, and the fan leaves start to yellow. Then I cut them, trim them, and hang them in the dark. I certainly think I will try some other curing methods, like the low and slow cold cure. But currently I am comfortable doing the traditional 2-3 week dark room drying. I do fine that depending on the Cola you look at, there will be a different percentage of amber.

When do you like to cut the plants? How long in flower? What percent amber? What's your cure method? Do you do it all at once? Why do you cut it at that time?

I like to cut plants when they are ready. I say this because each strain is different.. there's no set days or weeks, no guarantees. The seed banks and breeders list weeks under perfect growing conditions. They are best case scenario numbers.. not necessarily lying about the numbers. If you don't have the basics down, then it will obviously take much longer than outlined. But I have noticed 8-10 weeks is the average..plus I go by trichomes alone. Once all are milky, it gets chopped. I do this to run true to the strain.. I don't want to chop early(clear) and end up with speedy super sativa.. nor do I want to let trichs to amber up. As that is a sign of degradation to flavor/potency. If you run them to complete milkyness all the time then you can really appreciate the different hybrids. Pineapple Express is a fav. daytime medicine when ran true. So, no clear, no amber. Whole milk! :) My cure method is actually almost patent pending, so I can't disclose that at this time lol. But I chop, trim n hang plants for about 5 days.. then finish trim and start cure. Low and slow is the way to go. Once the 'hay' smell is gone, I sample product. Then continue cure. Just how I do my thing :)

Back
Top Bottom