Malawi Cure

Jackalope

Malawi Gold from Seeds of Africa was the first landrace sativa I've grown. For a landrace it did grew well indoors.
grow_2-2_016.JPG

Drying was a bitch. While the buds were firm they dried really airy. Twice I had to put fresh leaves in the jar to re-hydrate them. A trick a old grower taught me. It works great when your weed gets to dry. Finally I got the moister content right and got to jar it up to cure. First try was after a week. While it still smelled and tasted green the high ok. I figured from the start that this one was going to need a good cure so I had no problem tucking it away for a couple months.
Opened the jar after 2 months and was pleasantly surprised to find a nice piney, incent smell. The taste was better also. The difference between jarring and a 2 month cure was the most dramatic of all the strains I have grown. This really explains the cob type curing this strain is known for. " For those that don't know " Malawi was rolled in banana leaves and buried to cure. Kind of like corn on the cob. Hence the Cob name.
So to some this all up. The jar is going to be closed up for another month and check for flavor then. All in all the Malawi show's promise. Crosses to improve resin content and flavor could prove to be really special.

So is the Malawi is mold resistant, in a regular cure for the first couple of weeks you would open your jar everyday for 20-30 min's to naturally air/moisture out your buds, either way for a decent cure you should go at least 2 month's with the Malawi. I have some S. African Kwazi Zulu fem seed's I haven't grown yet, I'm looking forward to it now, thanks for the tip on the fresh leaves to rehydrate your bud, I use orange peel when needed, works pretty good.

It’s really best to use a 62% humidity pack. Orange peel and fresh leaves have caused mold to grow on bud I was rehydrating. Long before Boveda or Integra packs were around. But they’re the best way to rehydrate bud in this future we live in.

another interesting thing about COBS is that they cure anaerobicly - just like Mexican brick weed that was so prevalent in the 70s-90s. They’d take the females and males and chop them down fresh and just compress and vacuum seal them still moist then load them into concrete or tires or whatever.

While the buds were often really quite nice quality Mexican Sativa, it’s not remembered too fondly except by the blunt smokers and shotgun tokers. And by people who had access to Kine Bud as it was called back then, but preferred to smoke Schwag. It’s because in the anaerobic cure, the bud underwent a very similar anaerobic cure as AFRICAN COBS.

Lots of folks really liked the way that the anaerobicly cured bud made them feel. Seeds and stems and leaves be damned. I had a long conversation with 3 old friends about it a few years ago. We couldn’t get much else in DC in the early to mid 90s when we were in high school. That all changed when I went to NYC for college. Sour Diesel was everywhere. Beasters and Super Silver Haze too. Yet, for how poorly that Schwag was treated, it had a delightful high that’s just not possible to replicate with anything but COB cured buds.
Just a little fun fact about anaerobic vs. aerobic curing. They cause a very different effect to emerge in the final product. Pretty fascinating stuff.

Back
Top Bottom