Pictures on when to harvest: Trichome colours

Smokin Moose

Fallen Cannabis Warrior & Ex Moderator
A reminder.

when-to-harvest_1_1.jpg

nice pictures. IMO it's best to keep pics with their original posts though. That way the entire story gets told. Just a personal thought. Below is the entire post that goes with those pictues.

How to know when to harvest.
This was written by oregongrown on my old site...

The essential facts of timing your harvest

You've managed to make it to the end. You've maintained your plants well, now it's getting closer to harvest time, and you're wondering just how and when to harvest and dry those beautiful buds. Hopefully I can give you some insight into how this can be successfully done; the do's and dont's of proper harvesting and curing. First, lets take a look at the harvest side of things.

Timing of your harvest is critical! Harvesting at maximum ripeness is the key. In my experience, there is usually a five to seven day window when the Cannabis plant will be at maximum ripeness. To understand this, you will need a jeweler’s loupe, or magnifying lens, light optional. I would recommend a power of 30x or better, but you can get by with less. A greater magnification makes it much easier to see the trichome heads at the top of the stalked resin glands.

Resin gland color, potency, and type of high

Gland color will vary with ripeness of the individual THC glands, starting at clear, turning to milky, then turning to an amber color. There may be some exceptions, such as some of the Blue strains and Blackberry. These will have darker, sometimes purple gland heads. But by far and large, these three steps of ripeness will exist with the vast majority of strains on the market. The first stage, clear, will tend to make for a more cerebral, up high, with very little body effect. Harvesting at this stage when little if any trichomes are milky yet, can be tricky. Harvesting too early can make for a beautiful plant that will not have much psychoactive capability! THC needs to "mature" to be able to pass its psychoactive capabilities down to the smoker. This is why I always recommend waiting until 50% of the trichomes hit the second stage: milky or creamy. At this point, you will definitely have a plant which has reached its genetic potential.

The milky trichomes have some "cerebral" qualities, as well as some of the more "physical" characteristics of the high. The last stage, amber, brings on a more sedative, physical stone. If this is what you're looking for, than I would recommend a sativa/indica cross, or an indica dominant plant. Amber trichomes seem to ruin a sativa high if the plant goes too long. The below photo is a good example of a ripe plant: at least 50% of the gland heads have turned "milky," some heads are still clear, and a few are amber. This plant was harvested two days later.

Many times you'll read from new growers, "My hairs are 50% changed to brown or red, looks like its ready to come down." Calyx hairs turning color is one thing, calyx hairs withering, is another. When they have withered, they are for the most part, as ripe as they will get. But just turning red/brown does not necessarily mean the plant is ready. Calyx hairs are just an indicator that the plant is ripening, not necessarily ripe yet. I have taken full Indica strains with 60% hairs turned, and sativas when 90% hairs have turned, and they were all at peak ripeness. The trichome color is the only true indicator!

when-to-harvest_1_.jpg

When using a magnifying glass or loupe to determine ripeness, you’re examining the resin glands on the buds for signs of maturity and/or decay. During flowering, these glands start out small and increase in size as they fill with resin. As they near maturity, the head of the gland will begin to expand and it will start to look like a tiny mushroom. This is the first sign that they’re nearing the point of diminishing returns. This is the point at which production of fresh THC laden resin has slowed and is equal to the rate of decay of THC into CBD.​

The decay of THC is accompanied by a change in the color of the resin from clear to amber. This is the other sign of ripeness that can only be determined by magnification. What you’re looking for is the point at which the production of fresh resin is still just barely outpacing the decay. It’s impossible to know the exact moment. You just need to keep checking and go with your gut. 30 power magnification is enough to make the call, but 100 power would be easier to see clearly. You can find a loupe online by searching for jeweler supplies on any search engine.​

Thank you so much for the information. I traditionally look for about 80% of the pistils to turn colour as my indicator but with a microscope it gives greater accuracy. Thank you again.

I am not sure I agree 100%...

I flush when all the tri's are milky...by the time it's ready to harvest I have mostly amber tri's...but if you wait to harvest until they are all amber you are going to start loosing potency.

I have NEVER in my life heard of harvesting at different times for different body highs. A plants gentetics are the plants genetics...

I could be full of shit too but I have been growing for over 2 decades and know at least 10 other professional growers who would not agree totally with this post...in my humble opinion!

Greg Greens Cannabis Grow Bible, Jorge cervantes grow bible, Ed Rosenthal indoor cultivation, all of these Master Growers convey this message to me when reading. With time and maturity the high will go from 'buzzy' to 'narcotic' high, and when approx 100% of the trichomes are darker amber will the thc begin to diminish. in my opintion i had the chance to test this no more than a week to four weeks ago. i cut the same strain 1-2 weeks apart, with the first i had a buzz stone not to tired or laggy when i came down. the second i actually got more flavor and had more of a BAM! stone. this latest is the type that puts me to sleep, couch lock from hell. all great just depends on what you want. give it a whirl and enjoy!

I am not sure I agree 100%...

I flush when all the tri's are milky...by the time it's ready to harvest I have mostly amber tri's...but if you wait to harvest until they are all amber you are going to start loosing potency.

I have NEVER in my life heard of harvesting at different times for different body highs. A plants gentetics are the plants genetics...

I could be full of shit too but I have been growing for over 2 decades and know at least 10 other professional growers who would not agree totally with this post...in my humble opinion!

I dont think they mean all amber. I dont know that is possiable. Some turn amber after harvest because the plant parts are still living and metabolizing for a few days after harvest. When you dry , the plant breaks down the chlorophyll in the bud. If the plant is dried too fast it will lock the chlorophyll in the bud and you get a plant taste. It also make the effect kinda speedy and head buzz. THC and CBN in the plant breaks down to CB7 which is more physcoactive. Trichomes may never turn amber in some strains I have been told. about 40 percent amber and no clear. Some Trichomes start milky and are not even close to done.... When the brown hairs fall off or are pulled into the bud and no white hairs are on the plant is a good sign you cana harvest. The real Key is looking at the Calyxes. Have the swelled all the way down the branch and have all the hair turned brow and no longer standing but shriveled into the bud...No sooner than 8th week on any plant, up to 15 weeks tops on pure Sativas. 7ths week is too soon, 8th week is early, 10 weeks tops for indica strains. Good luck Ill need it,

:nomo: Great info! How about the other end? I'm curious as to when I should be able to determine the sex of my babies. I have some pictures of what to look for but am not sure when it should be obvious. Do I need to wait until I reduce lighting time for flowering? And any info or specifics on being sure so I don't make a mistake and execute a lady or stay the execution of a nasty boy. I have received a lot of helpful info from this site regarding lighting etc. and am very thankful. This is some info that could be helpful shortly. Any Pro out there who can de-ingnorantize me?

hi,guys just a quick question,im on to 62 days 12/12,i just done the magnifing thing,an my trichomes(mushroom shape)are clear. how long is it til they go amber/clear.should i start flushing now or wen they go amber/clear..cheers guys

Yes, great example. :cool:

That is very cool... thanks for the post.
uJsm4.png

first time grower here just wondering if u dont know the strain or anything about trichomes wen do u start to flush? few days after first signs of amber trich's or is there some other indicator wen you should start a 1-2 week flush?

Back
Top Bottom