What size mesh to use for good Hash

Keith Lake

420 Emeritus
420 Staff
conversion.JPG

LPI is lines per inch, which is the same as U.S. Mesh. In real world applications in the United States, silk screen may be sold simply as 155 mesh. This would be the same as calling it 155 lines per inch, or 155 U.S. Mesh.

A micron is equal to one twenty-five thousandth (1/25,000) of an inch, or one millionth (1/1,000,000) of a meter. A millimeter is equal to one thousandth (1/1,000) of a meter.

Screen mesh made out of multifilament polyester should not be used for sieving hashish because it is not as good and will not last as long as other types of mesh materials. You can tell multifilament polyester by a mesh rating with xx in it. Example 10xx, 12xx, 14xx, 30xx plus, etcetera.

When making hashish, you can vary the mesh size from about 65-125 microns (about 120-230 lines per inch). If the particles are larger than 125 microns, they are not very potent. As the particle size decreases down to 125 microns, the potency increases.

At about 125 microns, the powder is what most people would consider good hash. The potency increases as the particle size decreases down to 65 microns. At 65 microns, the trichome particles are at a point that most consider optimal. Particles smaller than 65 microns tend be broken or immature trichomes (medium potency).

Source

hey that is an excellent chart,, cause many times i have been out looking for some screens to purchase and always had either lines per inch, or mesh size or micron size and never knew which ones were what,, now i will know,, thanks,,

I've around 8oz of W/Widow and Durban outdoor trim and secondary buds so not exactly covered in trichs but not too bad, I'm looking to make some hash but I'd like it to be medium good quality to increase the amount I'll actually get from it. Would a bigger mesh size (say around 150) be a good idea for this? Anyone know roughly how much Id get using this method? Also is it better to freeze overnight before sieving? Thanks for any help or advice.

I use a 120 mesh silkscreen, works good. Just ordered a 200 mesh. I freeze the bud/trim before breaking it down and cleaning all the stems out of it, and then refreeze before running it thru the silkscreen onto a big mirror. Works very well, put about an 1/8's worth of the kief into a cig cellophane, wrap it up, tape and then wrap in 2-3 layers of newspapers, tape. Wet the newspaper and the bake in the oven for 10 minutes at 350F, remove from oven and press it flat with a rolling pin and then stick in the freezer for a few mins. Makes nice "surfboards" of hash, tasty. Not sure how much you would get, I've only got thru 1/4 of the few oz's of bud/trim I prepped and got about 3/4 oz of tasty hash. It would depend of the quality of the material. I used Green Crack and Cheese buds/trim. I love living in a Legal Weed State.

Back
Top Bottom