The Answer's DIY Kief Box

TheAnswer1776

I am posting my DIY kief box for those who might be interested in a low budget alternative to Bubblebags or just overpriced kief boxes. So after eating some cannabutter brownies for breakfast(MMMmmm!!!), I went to my local Micheal's Art and Crafts. I asked for silk screen and got pointed to there t-shirt making section. Sure enough they had a premounted 110 Micron screen. It is 15x19 inches total, with 11x14 screen area. I searched around the store, for a suitable box to collect the kief. My search led me to the framing department where they had a selection of shadow box frames. I found one that was 12x16, which was close to the screens 11x14. The shadow box style is perfect, as the glass is fixed in place and there is a good three inches of height to the frame, making it perfect to collect trichs! The screen is fixed in a metal border and it sits perfectly on the back of the frame. I am currently thinking of ways to attach the screen to the box, maybe some pegs coming out of the frame that the screen can sit on. You can easily drill through the metal border and something to hold it in place will be nice. Look for future updates!!

12x16 Shadow Box frame
Bubble2_609.jpg

110 micron premounted silk screen
Bubble2_607.jpg

I removed the back of the frame, but keep it for later usage.
Bubble2_598.jpg

Screen area fits perfectly above frame opening!
Bubble2_604.jpg

Silk screen $20
Shadow box frame $15

TOTAL for DIY Kief box $35

The frame and screen are very well built. I think this setup is a bargain for the price and ZERO setup. So results...............????:ganjamon:

Ok so obviously I wouldn't leave you guys with no results!! I have a couple freezer bags of trim and some small underbuds that I placed into the freezer one and a half hours before this test run. I have read many different screen hash making tutorials and the freeze time varies from 1 hour to 24 hours!! I just took a small amount for now and will let the rest freeze overnight.

As you can see here I took just a small amount to test it out.
Bubble2_616.jpg

In the earlier post I said keep the felt backing, that is because I put that under the glass in order to see the collection of trichs better. After working the material for about ten minutes I had this!
Bubble2_599.jpg

Not bad for about 5-6 grams of scrap, I can't wait to do the rest!!
Bubble2_608.jpg

So now, instead of blazing this little bit of kief into a single lung busting hit, I decided to experiment with a press. Luckily while at the arts and crafts store I found this:

Clay press $10
Bubble2_601.jpg

Bubble2_610.jpg

So I loaded the kief into the press and pressed away. This is my end result:
Bubble2_613.jpg

Or, hold on this was my end result:
Bubble2_605.jpg

Or maybe this was the end result:

:grinjoint:

Thank you for this! I have wanted one for awhile. Awesome :cheer:

Man, oh, Man,that is awesome. VERY AWESOME!!!!!

Please ask Soniq420 or someone to STICKY this thread. I love the box, and I love the press! And I'm going to get that press today!

I am going to put a link to this in my HASH and Kief Thread and I wish you could or would post this there too!

This is really very good! INGENIUS!

Excellent thread Theanswerto1984is1776! :goodjob: :cheer:

Did they have any other mesh sizes? The 110 would be good too tho. The smallest I have for my rig is 180 and I can see the plant bits with my little 30X scope. I would definitely get a better product with 110. I've seen that clay press before but had forgotten all about it. A piece of the screen stretched across the bottom of my finest pan would probably work for me.

Thanks for the heads-up to this thread Roseman! I tried to rep both of you but I can't yet.

C'ya L8r.

:peace:

Man, oh, Man,that is awesome. VERY AWESOME!!!!!

Please ask Soniq420 or someone to STICKY this thread. I love the box, and I love the press! And I'm going to get that press today!

I am going to put a link to this in my HASH and Kief Thread and I wish you could or would post this there too!

This is really very good! INGENIUS!

Thanks Roseman!! I will definitely do that!

Excellent thread Theanswerto1984is1776! :goodjob: :cheer:

Did they have any other mesh sizes? The 110 would be good too tho. The smallest I have for my rig is 180 and I can see the plant bits with my little 30X scope. I would definitely get a better product with 110. I've seen that clay press before but had forgotten all about it. A piece of the screen stretched across the bottom of my finest pan would probably work for me.

Thanks for the heads-up to this thread Roseman! I tried to rep both of you but I can't yet.

C'ya L8r.

:peace:

They only had the 110 micron there, but other microns can be obtained from most local screen printing shops.

I think I'm finally getting the idea here, you use the finest screen you can find to keep the leaf particles out and only the trichs fall through. When you are pushing the material around you don't grind it into the screen, you really only turn the stuff over so the trichs can fall into the box.

So it's just a soft motion back and forth across the screen. Am I getting close? Sometimes you need a 2x4 to help me figure these things out! It can be tough when you're not to bright! lol

Back
Top Bottom