Silk Screen Hash - Advice Needed

abzorb

I want use a silk screen to filter my tric's. Would any kind of silk screen work or do I need to use something specific. I was looking at one from amazon. I want to make a soft hash versus the very hard heat pressed discs I see in the market so how do I make that soft gooey stuff.
Please, only reply if you have experience.
Speedball_16-Inch-by-20-Inch_Screen_Printing_Frame.jpg

I have made a LOT of silk screen hash and can offer some tips that were gained from first-hand experience.

I used a silk screen that was about 6" X 8", with nylon screen material and a wooden frame (very similar to the one you have pictured in your post). I got it from a supply house via Amazon. I use an ordinary, non-stick, cookie sheet to catch the trichomes. I use my old plastic Kiss Army membership card to scrape the powder together when I am finished.

I grind up the weed to a fairly fine consistency, but not TOO fine, or else I get too much plant matter in with the good stuff. A couple of twists in a "hocky puck" grinder usually will be enough, especially if most of the lumber is removed.

I then put a few grams into the screen frame and, keeping it above the cookie sheet, I rub it around and let the powder fall through, catching it on the cookie sheet. This is a pretty tedious process, so I usually put something good on TV, like Family Guy to help pass the time.

You should probably not work the material too much. What I do is scrape the powder to one end of the cookie sheet, so that I can see when the material is almost spent. There will come a point when you will know it is time to use a fresh supply. Be sure to scrape the bottom of the screen over the cookie sheet before you dump the exhausted material, as the trichomes will tend to accumulate there.

After you have gone through about an ounce of material, you will probably feel that "enough is enough," and you will want to sample the fruits of your labor. Unfortunately, the only way to do so at this point is to load a bowl and sprinkle some of the powder over the load and go to town. Fortunately, this is a very nice way to enjoy the powder.

I have never gotten "soft gooey stuff" using this method, because when I tried to form the powder into a mass, the trichomes just stuck to my fingers. I purchased a "Pollen Press" from a local smoke shop and made the discs that you spoke of in your post, but without using any heat. This was a good way to store the powder, but I did have to chip it off of the disc to put it in my pipe.

After I discovered the honey extractor, however, I mixed the powder in with the oil and made what some folks call "earwax," which you can read about in another thread in this forum.

While the spent material is very low in potency, I was able to get "some" oil out of it via the honey extractor, but not enough to justify the expense of the butane needed to do so. I did use the spent material to fuck with my roommate's mooch brother, by leaving it out when I knew he was going to come over and watching him try to catch a buzz on it. All he really got was a head ache, until I felt sorry enough for him to let him smoke some of the oil/powder mix. THAT cured his headache for sure!

I hope this post helps. Feel free to ask further questions if I have been unclear or vague in any of the information included here.

Peace!

I'm wondering if the hash made by the silk screen is as good as the bubble bag hash. A lot of people swear by the dry sieve method. I'm wondering what size the micron size of the silk screen is because that will determine how much hash you get. The reason I ask is the original question was will any silk screen work or do i need a specific size. The question is yes and no. I have a 7 bag 5 gallon bubble bag set. These bags range in size from 220 micron for the "work bag" on down to 25 micron and each bag yields hash of varying quality. Typically the smaller the micron size the more potent and pure the hash is. Out of 7 bags I will only pull a gram of hash or so out of the last 3 bags. With the best hashish pulled out of the last bag with the smallest micron size holes. With dry sieve all these varying grades of hash would be mixxed together I presume. Now, I am no expert on dry sieving using silk screens but there are some videos on youtube where these guys in Morocco are getting some pretty decent hash from using a silk screen stretched over a bowl with weed plants, stalks and all on top, covered with a plastic bag and a bungie cord and beating the hell out of it with sticks. I would like to try the silk screen method and do a comparison because I feel that a good dry sieve method would yield much more hash than with the bubble bag method. Also, I need to practice my drumming skills and also get a work out at the same time. A few times making hash this way you would have Popeye arms.

I just got silkscreen from Michaels (art store). It's framed in metal. I beleive it's intended purpose is Tshirt screening. Costs about $25. It's marked "110" so I assume that's micron.
I ran all my dry shake through it twice and filled a film container with pollen.
I still have yet to press it or smoke it. Figured I would stash it for a rainy day..
I just got started growing in October. Shelled out a bunch of $$ for lighting, nutes, seeds, etc. Wanted to try something inexpensive first then maybe try the bubble bags..

Thanks P8riot, growing247 and lingus. I appreciate the wise words! I saw that video 247, they were beating the shit out of that silk screen drum. I think I'll beat the drum too. I was talking to a guy from Afghanistan about hash, he said they used the palm of their hand and worked the trics, compressing it hard and generating enough heat until it became hash. Is that the way to make the gooey stuff?
If not the gooey stuff, then earwax it is.:Namaste:.

I just ordered screen fabric. I got the 6xx and the 16xx, the number refers to the holes per inch, higher number smaller holes. Also, I ordered grain alcohol for the oil extraction. I don't get out much these days cause the chemo makes things miserable so these little projects that I muster up really excite me and give me something to look forward to.
Multifilament Polyester Screen Fabric - BLICK art materials

Thanks P8riot, growing247 and lingus. I appreciate the wise words! I saw that video 247, they were beating the shit out of that silk screen drum. I think I'll beat the drum too. I was talking to a guy from Afghanistan about hash, he said they used the palm of their hand and worked the trics, compressing it hard and generating enough heat until it became hash. Is that the way to make the gooey stuff?
If not the gooey stuff, then earwax it is.:Namaste:.

The hand rubbed hashish are called "Charas" and it takes some skills to do it and a LOT of pot. It's a popular method for making hash in Nepal and India. If you go on youtube and watch the Strain Hunters India expedition they go to India and make hand rolled Charas. I have tried making it myself but it takes considerable practice and skill. Kind of like being able to roll a joint with 1 hand. It's a lot easier for me to throw a bunch of trim in a 5 gallon bucket and mix it up with water and ice. Depending on how good the trim is I usually get about 3 or 4 grams every time I make the hash. One thing about water hash is it is really important to let it dry completely before smoking it. Working it in your hand helps remove some moisture but it needs to cure a little bit like bud and it will get this dark skin and it will be light brown on the inside. Typically the more "blond" the hash is, the better the quality. However, this is not always the case because I have seen some hash made from Purple Urkle and Sensi Star that was black and was super potent. Nice thing about hash is it keeps for a long time and it only takes a little bit to get you ripped out of your melon. I would love to get a silk screen myself because I have loads of trim around here and would like to try the dry sieve method, mix it with some butane hash and make some ear wax. That would be some seriously potent hash. :cool:

I figured I would try to contribute to this thread as I have made hash many times and even just made some last night and will be making another batch in 5 days. I will put up a full pictoral following this post to demonstrate the way I make it. I developed this system a few years back. I had borrowed a set of "bubble Bags" from a friend and twice made "water/bubble" hash with them. At 1st I really thought that they were great, 5 gal pail, a bag of ice and a drill with a paint mixer attachment.... seemed easy and got quite a bit of hash in return. Shortly after useing the bags I began to wonder how it worked, resin like sap is heavier than water and green matter floats.... seemed basic enough... then I thought "Do I even need the bags to do this"... the answer I discovered was, no.
Here is how I make "water/bubble" hash. Take a jar, fill 3/4 with icy water(almost crystalized) put in trimmings, then shake the hell out of it for 30 seconds. Set the jar down and watch the magic happen. Within 5 mins all the green matter is floating on top, and the bottom is covered in golden trichs! Scoop off the green matter (which you can 2nd wash if you want), keep gently adding water untill all the green matter flows off the top. Now take a coffee filter and run the whole jar through it. Once the water passes through the filter just put on flat surface and scrape the hash off the filter... let dry and you are done.
I have now done this 15-20 times and have learned a few tips but basicly the best way in my opinion.
In 5 days when I make the next batch I will take a series of pics to demonstrate the process. I will also post some pics shortly on what I got from the batch I did last night.
Hope this info helps,

Jonny

I use a method I modified from talking w/ my Lebanese relatives. Over there they build a hash box. It's a simple box with fine screens inside,and slit to insert bundles of kindling dry bud laden branches into the box. The top screen is rigid and fine. They stick the bud laden branches through the slit and proceed to beat the branches as hard as they can against the top screen. This knocks the trichs off and the first screen separates them from the plant matter.When the plant matter has started build up,they open the upper side of the box,and rake the plant material out. The whole process then starts again. The finest hash ends up on the bottom,the next on the screen above etc..... They then press the hash in a screw press into slabs.

Now,here's the way I've done it since the 70's. I let bud dry completely and break it up by hand over a homemade paper funnel in a quart jar until it's about half of the way full. I throw about 10 nickles in the jar. I stretch a piece of very fine nylon mesh over the mouth of the jar making sure it overlaps the sides well and stretch a rubber band around it to hold in the place. I put the jar lid on tight and begin to shake it rotating it as I do.

After a few minutes of shaking I hold the jar upside down at a 45 degree angle and carefully remove the lid over a white piece of paper. The trichs are collected in the lid. I then pour the trichs into a large mint tin. This first run is generally the best hash,as are the trichs held on the side of the jar by static. These I wipe out with my index finger. They go in the same tin.

After that I go through 2-3 more shakings until the trichs quit appearing on the lid and the side of the jar. These are put in another tin.

I find that my yield is about 2.5 grams of hash per ounce of bud,depending on the trich content and size.

Now for the gooey hash. After a couple of runs extracting the fine trichs that cling to the jar with your fingers,you're going to notice them turning greenish black and quite tacky. You want to rub your thumb and first two fingers togther over that white piece of paper. You're going to notice thin strands of a dark substance falling from your fingers to the paper. That's the resin coming off and is finger hash. You might have to process a couple of ounces of bud to get a nice lil' ball,but it will knock you on your ass.

Another way to get gooey hash is to take the trichs you've collected w/ the above method,put them in one of those plastic boiling bags and place that in a second bag sealing both well. Put a pot of water on the stove top. You need to have a meat or candy thermometer. Heat the water to about 140 degrees and turn off the heat. Add the double bagged trichs and wait about 10 minutes. Voila',you've got gummy gooey hash that you can roll into any shape you want.

Oh yeah,wait until the hash is just cool enough to handle. Nothing like a scalding resin stuck to your skin.

BTW,that jar method is great for making hash out of cheap dried up powdery schwag. I don't know why,but schwag hash can often turn out to have a much more pleasnt high than hash produced from high octane weed?

I figured I would try to contribute to this thread as I have made hash many times and even just made some last night and will be making another batch in 5 days. I will put up a full pictoral following this post to demonstrate the way I make it. I developed this system a few years back. I had borrowed a set of "bubble Bags" from a friend and twice made "water/bubble" hash with them. At 1st I really thought that they were great, 5 gal pail, a bag of ice and a drill with a paint mixer attachment.... seemed easy and got quite a bit of hash in return. Shortly after useing the bags I began to wonder how it worked, resin like sap is heavier than water and green matter floats.... seemed basic enough... then I thought "Do I even need the bags to do this"... the answer I discovered was, no.
Here is how I make "water/bubble" hash. Take a jar, fill 3/4 with icy water(almost crystalized) put in trimmings, then shake the hell out of it for 30 seconds. Set the jar down and watch the magic happen. Within 5 mins all the green matter is floating on top, and the bottom is covered in golden trichs! Scoop off the green matter (which you can 2nd wash if you want), keep gently adding water untill all the green matter flows off the top. Now take a coffee filter and run the whole jar through it. Once the water passes through the filter just put on flat surface and scrape the hash off the filter... let dry and you are done.
I have now done this 15-20 times and have learned a few tips but basicly the best way in my opinion.
In 5 days when I make the next batch I will take a series of pics to demonstrate the process. I will also post some pics shortly on what I got from the batch I did last night.
Hope this info helps,

Jonny

I have heard about hash made this way, and seen pictures but never made it that way. This should be interesting. I would like to buy a dry siev machine. Right now they are way out of my price range but maybe one could be made DIY style? I like the water hash but really want to try something new that doesn't involve water and ice. Very good info in this thread. Lot's of knowledge on these boards.

I have heard about hash made this way, and seen pictures but never made it that way. This should be interesting. I would like to buy a dry siev machine. Right now they are way out of my price range but maybe one could be made DIY style? I like the water hash but really want to try something new that doesn't involve water and ice. Very good info in this thread. Lot's of knowledge on these boards.

FYI I completed my post on hash. you can find it here:
Stilletto's screen/water hash method - Pictoral

Jonny

Sifted/sieved hash is easy to make diy,Growing. I've been using the jar method I posted above for nearly 40 years. The first couple of years I did it I used sliced up panty hose as my final sieve.

I use mesh from nylon bags used to hold potpourri these days. You can buy the bags at any craft store for next to nothing. They run around a 110 micron weave.

I've got some bags of various weaves used for steeping grains for homebrewing. I'm tempted to experiment with those. Much cheaper than silk screen and much more durable than both the silk screen and nylon potpourri bags.

Anything with a fine weave will get you started.

I just got silkscreen from Michaels (art store). It's framed in metal. I beleive it's intended purpose is Tshirt screening. Costs about $25. It's marked "110" so I assume that's micron.
I ran all my dry shake through it twice and filled a film container with pollen.
I still have yet to press it or smoke it. Figured I would stash it for a rainy day..
I just got started growing in October. Shelled out a bunch of $$ for lighting, nutes, seeds, etc. Wanted to try something inexpensive first then maybe try the bubble bags..

The "110" for silk screen is threads per inch. So a 220 would be a much finer (less microns) weave. They also have different thread diameters which will effect micron size.

I've always made sifted hash using 120 nylon mesh, Some meshes work better than others but it really comes down to the strain and more so how it's grown. Fat tall standing trichs are best!

I've made sift that clumps and goo's together by itself and smokes like a dream as well as powder that will not stick together no matter how many times you try.

I have discovered that:

Plants overloaded in chemical nutes produce less trichs and whilst sifting tend to crush into fine powder resulting in substandard product.

Outdoor plants have a more "meaty" leaf and bud structure that results in a more pure product. While indoor plants differ greatly on how they were grown.

Back
Top Bottom