Acetone Hash from last grow

Piranha

I have access to large supply's of acetone and was trying to decide how i was going to make my hash.

During my harvests i always have a bucket of acetone near me for cleaning my clippers and washing the resin off my hands i literally dip wipe and its gone, its that good at dissolving the resin.

So i decided to experiment i threw away all large fan leaves and only kept leaves with dust on, I ended up with a 5 gallon bucket filled to the brim with trim.
I then added the acetone about 3 gallons, left the room to make coffee when i returned to my amazement the acetone had reacted with the moisture in the trim, it had reduced the mass to a watery soup when i picked up some of the leaves they were crispy like they had been in the oven.
I then got my aluminum baseball bat and began to smash and stir, I did not want the acetone to start breaking down the organic stuff just the resin so i did this for 20min non stop the trim was very crispy and did not take much bashing to powder out in the acetone.
I then used a stainless steel kitchen sieve to filter through the acetone and separate the waste, i poured it into a large glass roasting dish and left it.

Acetone evaporates 100% after a week the acetone was gone and was left with a thick resin wet with moisture not acetone, i let it dry for a week.

This is the best smoke I have ever experienced I ended up with 37 grams of dry resin, I was expecting under 20grams like using the bubble bag method.
My uncle said it was also the best smoke hes had since he visited a cannabis farm in Morocco and smoked pure hash oil.
The hash has a green browny color but if warmed up with hands can be rolled into a ball and turns pure black it also drips when when exposed to a naked flame.
to me this method has 100% separated the resin from the plant and left over material has no smell no stick nothing.
From now on this will be my method for waste the plants used for the job was from 4 mazar plants grown under 600w in 5 gallon buckets with coco 1.2m x1.2m tent with a 16 ounces of pure bud and 37g aceyhash.

Thought I would share as not much on the net using this method.

This is what I have left.

20141101_093655.jpg

20141101_093734.jpg

20141101_093845.jpg

Just be sure to do this outside in a well ventilated area.
I prefer to distill my own moonshine and use it for cutting the hash. The moonshine can be redistilled and re used again and again. And if you get thristy you got a nice drink.lol

How involved is it to make the moonshine? I was thinking of trying this with Everclear but they banned sales in my area.

I definitely agree, to use a fume hood (stove vent doesn't count), or do outdoors. Acetone is flammable as hell. Plus, even the fumes will dissolve certain things exposed to it. Don't get it near an old Strat or Tele. Pretty sure they were lacquered with nitrocellulose, which dissolves into liquid when exposed to acetone. ;)

Very interesting process, though. Will try sometime. Acetone is certainly cheaper, than some other solvents.

Potential Chronic Health Effects:
CARCINOGENIC EFFECTS: A4 (Not classifiable for human or animal.) by ACGIH. MUTAGENIC EFFECTS: Not available.
TERATOGENIC EFFECTS: Not available. DEVELOPMENTAL TOXICITY: Classified Reproductive system/toxin/female,
Reproductive system/toxin/male [SUSPECTED]. The substance is toxic to central nervous system (CNS). The substance may
be toxic to kidneys, the reproductive system, liver, skin. Repeated or prolonged exposure to the substance can produce target
organs damage

Not exactly food grade.

Special Remarks on Chronic Effects on Humans:
May affect genetic material (mutagenicity) based on studies with yeast (S. cerevisiae), bacteria, and hamster fibroblast cells.
May cause reproductive effects (fertility) based upon animal studies. May contain trace amounts of benzene and formaldehyde
which may cancer and birth defects. Human: passes the placental barrier

Inhalation at high concentrations affects the sense organs, brain and causes respiratory tract irritation. It also may affect the
Central Nervous System (behavior) characterized by dizzness, drowsiness, confusion, headache, muscle weakeness, and
possibly motor incoordination, speech abnormalities, narcotic effects and coma. Inhalation may also affect the gastrointestinal
tract (nausea, vomiting).

Potential Chronic Health Effects:
CARCINOGENIC EFFECTS: A4 (Not classifiable for human or animal.) by ACGIH. MUTAGENIC EFFECTS: Not available.
TERATOGENIC EFFECTS: Not available. DEVELOPMENTAL TOXICITY: Classified Reproductive system/toxin/female,
Reproductive system/toxin/male [SUSPECTED]. The substance is toxic to central nervous system (CNS). The substance may
be toxic to kidneys, the reproductive system, liver, skin. Repeated or prolonged exposure to the substance can produce target
organs damage

Not exactly food grade.

Special Remarks on Chronic Effects on Humans:
May affect genetic material (mutagenicity) based on studies with yeast (S. cerevisiae), bacteria, and hamster fibroblast cells.
May cause reproductive effects (fertility) based upon animal studies. May contain trace amounts of benzene and formaldehyde
which may cancer and birth defects. Human: passes the placental barrier

Inhalation at high concentrations affects the sense organs, brain and causes respiratory tract irritation. It also may affect the
Central Nervous System (behavior) characterized by dizzness, drowsiness, confusion, headache, muscle weakeness, and
possibly motor incoordination, speech abnormalities, narcotic effects and coma. Inhalation may also affect the gastrointestinal
tract (nausea, vomiting).

Very good documentation of health effects. From MSDS, I assume. We ought to pay closer attention to MSDS a lot. I use to peruse them on my lunch breaks at work, when I worked. I was a safety officer for a while, though, lol.

They use acetone in monstrous amounts in nail salons. Doesn't justify its use here, but it does see a LOT of skin contact in that industry. Acetone should evaporate completely when exposed to the atmosphere, and more quickly when exposed to a little heat. I have a feeling, that like butane, a vacuum purge may help achieve a more complete evaporation of all acetone from product. Reflux it, you've got your acetone back, and none goes in the atmosphere.

AMK - spot on about the MSDS. Information was more for when you are using it in preparation of hash. Not a nice substance when liquid.

I have a feeling, that like butane, a vacuum purge may help achieve a more complete evaporation of all acetone from product. Reflux it, you've got your acetone back, and none goes in the atmosphere.

Even if the acetone is gone, what about the benzene and formaldehyde? Would they evaporate, or stay in the mixture?

Acetone: (CH3)2CO It may be produced using benzene, but in the end, it's a colorless, volatile liquid named acetone. I've personally never tried to distill acetone, but from reading around, distillation is how acetone is purified most easily. I can infer that impurities can be left behind after distillation. Benzene would certainly evaporate, if it were present. Formaldehyde is a little tricky, I think, as it's both flammable and explosive, and we don't want to fuck with explosives. However, I think any formaldehyde would get pulled out during the vacuum process, along with benzene. Why the acetone would break down, however, I'm not sure. Could you explain that?

Unfortunately, I am not an organic chemist. Just another wanna be washed up old out of work safety officer (we should start a club). Maybe one of the smart people here could chime in. In any case, I don't think I'd like to be messin' with formaldehyde in my smoke, just sayin'.

I agree, mate. I'm thinking there would be little if any formaldehyde there though. We could use a proper organic chemist to chime in here.

I am not chemist. Or a scientist. Or even particularly smart.
But ... I have to agree with Too Old. Maybe because I'm too old too, and us old stoners gotta stick together.

I just can NOT imagine putting those kinds of chemicals in my body. I have done some work with fiberglass and therefore had to work with some of these ingredients. Had to damn near wear a hazmat suit. And, even then it effected my health in a negative way. They are readily absorbed into skin, easily inhaled, and instantly toxic at even micro doses. Had to quit that job.

Are you sure you want to use these toxic, poisonous, and harmful chemicals for your 'medicine'? You really want to handle and ingest that stuff?

Think there may be a better way?

Just Sayin,

~Auggie~

Personally, I'll stick with tried and true methods that are safe, or that I'm knowledgeable enough in to keep safety as a top priority. Acetone is something I might try with some seedy brick weed, but not with primo medicine. I am fully conscious of the safety concerns surrounding acetone, but I also think it is something we shouldn't promote without proper warnings and disclaimers. Someone with no experience working with these solvents could get seriously injured (and/or very ill). Better in most cases to stick with ice water and bubble bags, or Everclear, but even liquor is very flammable, and evaporates into a even more flammable gas.

Back
Top Bottom