OldMedUser's Kif/Oil Temple Balls

OldMedUser

Formerly Known as LabRat
I've had an oz of kif sitting around since my last crop at Xmas and about a month ago I got around to processing 3/4lb of left-over pot of fairly low grade to make some pretty nice oil.

!!! No flammable substances were used in the production of this hash !!!

Today I got around to putting them together and making some nice black, gummy hash like the old Temple Ball hash from back in the late 70's. You youngsters don't know half what you missed. :)

The oil was finished up in a pyrex pie plate so I put that on a pan of simmering water to heat up. I was going to heat up that larger glass syringe and scoop 5cc of oil but thought what the hell, I'll be cropping in 5 weeks or so and I can make BHO then and have fresh kief to make much better Honey Hash.

Hash01.JPG

I didn't know how much oil was in there but I made sure to weigh the kif so I could subtract the weight of what I used from the total to know how much oil I had.

Once the oil is all nicely warmed up and runny it's time to load up some kif and mix it in.

Hash02.JPG

I'm going to be looking for a good stiff silicon mixing spoon or spatula to do the mixing That skinny SS spatula doesn't work so well when that stuff gets stiffened up.

Hash03.JPG

And there she is. 4.5cm, 1-3/4" in diameter.

Hash06.JPG

Weighing in at an impressive . . .

Hash04.JPG

I'll go into more detail about mixing and knowing how much kif goes with how much oil. This is almost exactly 2:1. kif/oil.

Not bad for using up old stuff I had laying around the house eh. :)

L8r

Great, thank you. Going to start doing some oils, and using some kief I have saved up. Great share thank you!!

How did you collect the keif?

I collect mine through a Trim Bin. Good piece of gear, not cheap. But, if you're in it for the long haul that bonus down below will pay off quickly!

I made the oil for this with a good soak in naphtha but any oil will work. I distill the naphtha from Coleman's camp stove fuel then once I extract the oil I distill the filtrate to recover the naphtha then pour the more concentrated oil/naphtha into that pie plate and evaporate it on a pot of simmering water out in the carport.

The real good stuff I make BHO out of then add the kif. I call that stuff Honey Hash and it's a keeper. lol

They make nice little screw presses to form your kif into hard pucks just like the old blond Lebanese hash that used to be around a lot in my youth. No danger making that but dry sieving only gets about half of the resins off your pot so if you want it all you have to extract it with some sort of solvent. QWISO is about the safest method but pure grain alcohol like EverClear is a less toxic solvent that will do the same thing. Really cheap and easy to get is 99% methyl hydrate, aka methyl alcohol, and most hardware, paint stores and even gas stations will sell you a jug without batting an eye. Keep everything in the deep freeze to do a quick wash like QWISO. Make sure your pot is very dry and don't grind it up in the blender. Just put it in a clean mason jar and pound it with a wooden spoon or something to break it up. If ground up in a blender it makes super fine particles that plug up your filter right away.

Lots of methods in the Oil/concentrates forum so I'm not going to spell everything out here. All the solvents used for most oil making are extremely flammable so if you are a klutz then stick to pipes or joints for your own safety. :) I have had years of training and hands-on experience in handling hazardous materials so it's 2nd nature to me but not for everyone. Just look at all the dumb-asses blowing up houses and apartments giving us that know what we're doing a bad name.

The bulk of the pot I used to make the oil for this project was previously screened for kif. I get about 6g of kif per oz of trim but the yield would be lower with a finer screen and the product would be purer. Not sure how that would work for the hash as I think the very fine plant material in my kif helps hold it all together.

I would revise my ratio to more like 1 part oil to 3 parts kif by weight. The 2/1 ratio was too oily so I added 5g more kif and think I could have gone with another 5g but wanted to save some for canna cookies. Got more now tho so will be making some Honey Hash soon. :)

L8r

Thanks for the reply to that. Im pretty hesitant of alot of the solvents you mentioned for the very reason you also listed lol. If anything i would be fine with qwiso strained through cheese cloth left to evap in a ventilated area. Not trying to blow stuff up lol. Thanks again OMU you truly are a fountain of knowledge.

Back
Top Bottom