How To: Hash Oil Extract With ISO

Hey everyone. I have had a few people asking me about how I make my hash and honey oil extracts so I decided to make a little how to thread on how I make my small batches of oils. Hope all of you enjoy and learn from this thread. If anyone else has other ways they like to make theirs or if there is something that may improve on the way I do it then go ahead and post it :)

**Please ensure you do this in a well ventilated area (fans, exhaust, outdoors) and not near any open flames**

So, to start off this adventure we need to have a look at the household materials needed. Here is what I had around the house to use..
- Hot plate (anything with an enclosed element will do, safety first)
- Ceramic or pyrex dish (ensure it is big enough for the amount of iso being used)
- 2 other bowls/dishes (for pouring strained liquids into)
- 2 liter pop bottle (cut the top 1/4 off, enough that coffee filters will sit in nicely)
- Reusable coffee filter (for first straining)
- 2 paper coffee filters (non-bleached is best if you can find them)
- Razor blades
- Silicon spatula
SAM_2974.JPG

You will also need the main ingredients and they should be put in the freezer for a couple of hours before use.
I decided to use all of my sugar trim that was sitting around for a bit and was mostly dry but not crumbling to dust, you can use buds as well to make a more potent and tasty oil. You can also use whatever desired amount.
- 42 grams sugar trim (loaded in trichomes)
- 99% isopropyl alcohol (I needed 1 liter)
SAM_29771.JPG
SAM_29791.JPG

To begin the process, go get your buds or trim and alcohol out of the freezer where it should have been for at least a couple of hours, this will help the resin glands come off the trichomes easier. If using buds or big leafy trim bust or grind it up some so it's easier to work with and doesn't take up as much room in the bottle.
SAM_2976.JPG

Put all of your bud or trim into the bottom part of the bottle that you had cut the top off of while getting your materials ready. Once that is done you can go ahead and pour in the cold alcohol and fill it up just over the top of your bud or trim.
SAM_2978.JPG
SAM_2980.JPG
SAM_29811.JPG

Give the mixture a quick and gentle stir for about 30 seconds ensuring all of the plant material has been covered in alcohol and has had the chance to loosen up and grab onto the resin glands we need to extract.
SAM_2982.JPG
SAM_29831.JPG

Get the reusable coffee filter and one of the bowls, hold onto the filter and pour the liquid through the filter and into the bowl, keeping the majority of the plant material in the pop bottle for the moment.
SAM_2986.JPG
SAM_2987.JPG
SAM_2988.JPG

Now with the 2nd bowl take the reusable coffee filter and start to pour the plant material into it until full and gently squeeze the rest of the alcohol out into the bowl, repeat with this step with the rest of the plant material. Don't squeeze to hard or let the alcohol sit in the plant material to long as you will start to get a darker, more green color like I sort of did. If you skip the squeezing step and just do a nice quick rinse it will look more golden, I will show an example here of this.
SAM_29891.JPG
SAM_2990.JPG
SAM_2991.JPG

Here was my last batch that I made from 1oz of sugar trim and got 3 grams return in super tacky oil.
SAM_29452.JPG

Grab your ceramic or pyrex dish, top of the pop bottle you cut off and the 2 paper coffee filters. Place both filters evenly into the top of the pop bottle and place this over top of the dish, now start pouring your alcohol mixture from the bowls into the coffee filters. This process can take a while but will ensure you have nice clean oil, free of any fine plant matter. You can also do what I did and make a 2nd or several filter setups to make it quicker.
SAM_29931.JPG
SAM_2994.JPG
SAM_2995.JPG
SAM_2996.JPG
SAM_2997.JPG

Turn on the hot plate to low-medium heat, place the dish on top of the hot plate and keep a fan near by blowing lightly over the top of the dish to move the evaporating alcohol away from you. Ensure the mixture doesn't start boiling until you are nearing the end. Keep moving the mixture around every so often to keep the forming oil ring from cooking to the dish.
SAM_29991.JPG
SAM_3000.JPG
SAM_3001.JPG

.... Bit of an intermission here, waiting patiently for the alcohol to evaporate down... :rollit:

Things are starting to thicken up a little now, keep moving that liquid around and try to keep as much as you can from sticking to the upper parts of the dish (I didn't do a very good job at it this time, think I had the heat a little higher than last time)
SAM_30051.JPG

Around this time the thickening alcohol and oil mixture will start to bubble as the last of the alcohol gets evaporated out of the oil. Keep your fan close to keep the oil cool but still on the heat, you can also lift the dish off the heat periodically to keep the bubbles to a minimum.
SAM_3009.JPG
SAM_3010.JPG
SAM_30131.JPG

I take a razor blade or knife and mix up the oil while busting the bubbles that form and keep the oil moving around. Once the bubbles from the alcohol have pretty much stopped forming and you see hardly alcohol left you can remove the dish from the hot plate and keep the oil spread out so the last of the alcohol evaporates. Set this dish in front of the fan while it's still hot.
SAM_30151.JPG
SAM_3016.JPG
SAM_3017.JPG

Let the dish sit out for a while in front of the fan, maybe take it somewhere that wont be dusty or anything so you don't get crap in the oil while it sits. I let it sit for at least a couple hours, this will ensure that all of the alcohol is evaporated. Set the dish back onto the hot plate on low heat to make the thickened oil movable and easy to get into it's final container.
SAM_3018.JPG
SAM_3022.JPG
SAM_3021.JPG

And there we have it folks, quite the process but this is pretty much how I was taught, I have just changed the odd little things around to work better for myself and to also try experimenting with a few different variables.
Hope all of this makes sense for everyone, if you have any questions please feel free to ask. I also hope you all had a great 710 dabbing day!! Dab on folks!

SAM_3031.JPG

Thanks for this. Going to give it a go this weekend. I put my sugar leaf straight into the freezer after I trimmed it though so I'm thinking I should have dried it out first? I wonder how this will affect the results.

I have never actually tried using the fresh frozen method. I should sometime to see if it makes much difference. I have heard some sort of controversy over what it actually does to the cannabinoids when frozen fresh or frozen for storage purposes. I haven't looked into it much since I just usually do what works best for me, so I can't really comment on it for the fact I don't want to misinform you. I'm sure with some quick googling you will find out the pros and cons of using fresh frozen material vs dried then froze vs not frozen at all. I really should get into some experimentation sometime though and figure what works the best overall. That will require a big jug of alcohol :)

Very basic pot oil like we made back in the 70s.

Much too long soaking in the ISO for toking but would be fine for RSO where you want a whole plant extract for medicinal purposes and taste is not a big concern.

Too get a purer product with ISO you want to use a QWISO, or Quick Wash ISO technique. As you are after the resin glands there's no benefit to quality by grinding your pot prior to the wash. You just open up the plant cells so that more chlorophyll, sugars and waxes get extracted along with the oils you are after. Your yield will be higher as there will be a lot more contaminants in your oil.

Better off using glass containers like mason jars to do the extraction as well. They will hold the cold temp better than the flimsy plastic of a pop bottle and not leach toxins from the plastic into the oil tho it's really not much to worry about as it is food grade plastic.

Two 1qt mason jars is enough for an oz of trim/bud. Put all the well dried pot in one and enough iso in the other to more than cover the pot. Put lids on both and store in the freezer until used. Rig up something to hold your filter basket over your collector tray so it can be quickly poured through. I use a Pyrex pie plate so I can set that on a large pot of simmering water to evap the ISO rather than set it directly on a hot element. Can usually be found at a thrift store for a couple dollars.

Just add the ice-cold ISO to the pot then swirl around until you see a hint of green then pour quickly through the filter. Add a bit more ISO for a rinse and pour that thru right away too.

You'll have a much better toking experience.

@CBMedzNewb For ISO or other alcohol extractions you want to use very dry pot as the moisture in the pot will help extract unwanted things like chlorophyll into your oil and dilute the alcohol a bit as well.

:peace:

Thanks for the good info. I do know about quick washing as I had said throughout the tutorial and showed the picture of my quick wash batch made before this one.
SAM_2955.JPG

This was more of a basic and cheap approach for the people that may be new to making extracts. I tried to use basic things found around the house to do this. I guess I could have titled it a little differently or mentioned that in the beginning.

This oil is still fine for smoking as well, not to harsh and packs quite the punch with a couple hits. Nowhere near as tasty or potent as my other batch though of course.

Thanks for stopping by though and adding to the information for everyone!!

Very basic pot oil like we made back in the 70s.

Much too long soaking in the ISO for toking but would be fine for RSO where you want a whole plant extract for medicinal purposes and taste is not a big concern.

Too get a purer product with ISO you want to use a QWISO, or Quick Wash ISO technique. As you are after the resin glands there's no benefit to quality by grinding your pot prior to the wash. You just open up the plant cells so that more chlorophyll, sugars and waxes get extracted along with the oils you are after. Your yield will be higher as there will be a lot more contaminants in your oil.

Better off using glass containers like mason jars to do the extraction as well. They will hold the cold temp better than the flimsy plastic of a pop bottle and not leach toxins from the plastic into the oil tho it's really not much to worry about as it is food grade plastic.

Two 1qt mason jars is enough for an oz of trim/bud. Put all the well dried pot in one and enough iso in the other to more than cover the pot. Put lids on both and store in the freezer until used. Rig up something to hold your filter basket over your collector tray so it can be quickly poured through. I use a Pyrex pie plate so I can set that on a large pot of simmering water to evap the ISO rather than set it directly on a hot element. Can usually be found at a thrift store for a couple dollars.

Just add the ice-cold ISO to the pot then swirl around until you see a hint of green then pour quickly through the filter. Add a bit more ISO for a rinse and pour that thru right away too.

You'll have a much better toking experience.

@CBMedzNewb For ISO or other alcohol extractions you want to use very dry pot as the moisture in the pot will help extract unwanted things like chlorophyll into your oil and dilute the alcohol a bit as well.

:peace:

Thanks for that tid bit, and I think as Dick also mentioned as well, I kind of suspected that dryer would be better in this case. Alas I'm not going to bother thawing it and drying it out at this point. lol I guess I will just have to see how we go with what I have.

Thanks for that tid bit, and I think as Dick also mentioned as well, I kind of suspected that dryer would be better in this case. Alas I'm not going to bother thawing it and drying it out at this point. lol I guess I will just have to see how we go with what I have.

Will be interesting to see how yours turns out! If it's anything like them plants you grew it should be awesome :)

Thanks for the added pictures, it helps alot, I'm about to attempt this with my sugar trim for the first time, and the pictures really bring the instructions together.

You can use them for seeds to hunt females, work on making your own feminized seeds or a concentrate of some form. The biggest reason they are tossed aside is to keep them from fertilizing the female plants, to save money on nutrients, and of course the low quality and seeds.

Back
Top Bottom