What did I do wrong? IPA cannabis oil

dirtybud

So I made some dabbing concentrate. Somehow it didn't go so well according to a seasoned dabber friend.
The review I got was that it wasn't cooked right or rushed. But I think I did everything right.
I started with the QUiSO method, but I didn't see the need to decarboxilate and freeze my trim. So I skipped these steps since it was for use in a dab rig ... so I figure decarb is a wasted step here. Correct me if wrong. But dab rigs provide it's own heat. So decarbing is a wasted step unless you want to use it directly for ingestion without additional heat to deliver THC.

OK. On to my process:

1. I sun dried my trim (SLH and NL sugar leaves. Properly grown, if you will ...) for an hour to get it really dry just before rinsing in ISO (99%). I take the dried trim and crumble with my hand and stuff into a large mason jar.
2. Ad just enough ISO to make a slurry mix and just a little more to make sure I can get a swishing action going to strip off the trim with ISO.
3. Remove lid and place mason ring over coffee filter to keep in the bits I don't want.
4. Place strained liquid into Pyrex pan.
5. place solution in direct sun to reduce mixture by evaporation for 1 full day of sun. It had a slight smell of ISO. Then left it in my work shed for one day. 90˙F and 40% RH. It bubbled up and thinned out. Was this not long enough to evaporate ISO. It did not smell like ISO at all.

So why was my friend not pleased with my result? It was transparent dark amber sticky goo. Sticks to everything. Perhaps my friend was accustomed to BHO, but I refuse to mess with BHO. (I don't want to blow myself up.)

Do I have to decarb if it is going to burn anyway in a rig? Do I have to pull a vacuum with added heat to fully remove chemicals. Did I not dry it long enough?
Anyway, I hope I described my process and materials well enough for someone to troubleshoot my problem. It could all be a matter of taste (and in that case, F my friend. Oh ... I mean F is for friend.)

Readers, I would love your input and thank you for reading this lengthy process described. Sorry no photo. I'll be back to post my finished Pyrex shot since I have it. It's just that I'm a bit lazy and now I have to email myself a picture. Load it. Then link it back here to this post ... ugh. Or you can imagine a nice thin bronze layer with bubbly gooeyness stuck to the bottom of a pyrex dish. The smell was amazing!

Back
Top Bottom