Flytier's First Shot at Hash Oil - Turned Out Great!

flytier

Hey Everybody! I've just finished doing a concentrate and I'd like to pass on my experience at it. Earlier the week I was telling Bignstrange about the leaves that I was smoking and he said I should make some ISO hash with them. So I looked up how to do it on a bunch of different websites and forums and they all said about the same thing, so I figured what the hell, it seems easy enough.

Here's pretty much the materials and equipment I used (but not for the vise in the background):

Materials

* Leaves - I used White Widow;
* 99% Isopropanol - lower percentages take longer to evaporate. Place in the freezer a day before.

Equipment
* Glass jar;
* Casserole dish - white allows good view of what's happening;
* Coffee filters - I used about a half dozen or so;
* Glass to catch the filtered solution;
* Razor blade or hobby knife blade.
aDSCI1421.jpg

I took the leaves and cut them into salad-sized pieces to get them sloshing around in the bottle, rather than just packing in the full leaves. I didn't bother to chop them down to coleslaw
aDSCI1422.jpg

I poured the alcohol in the bottle with the leaves and shook it vigorously for 30 seconds to get the cannabinoids and terpenes but not long enough to dissolve much chlorophyll
aDSCI1424.jpg

I then strained the solution and leaves through the coffee filters. While waiting for this, you have time to do things like go look for the damn cat that bolted out the door
aDSCI1425.jpg

(SMOKE BREAK)

So I put the filtered solution into the casserole dish and I had to apply a little heat to it. This was started in a cold porch, and I could see that was not going to satisfy my lack of patience so I moved the works of it into the kitchen. I'm not advocating doing that without precautions. You're working with alcohol fumes so make sure you're in a ventilated area. My stove is next to a window which I had opened fully (in mid-November in Canada) and had a fan blowing toward the window. I had the temperature set to low, and I gave it a couple hours to evaporate.

When the alcohol was gone I took a hobby knife blade and scraped the oil into a little blob. That, needless to say, is what you're after.
aDSCI1439.jpg

Trying it

Now I used to smoke oil in a joint with a bit of tobacco, but I was never a cigarette smoker and the wife quit smoking, so I was out of luck there. All I had to smoke it with was some dried leaf. Not really optimum conditions for a trial run, but hey, whatever works, right?

When I spread it onto the paper it had some plant debris in it, but that was just a bit that got past during the filtering. Not a big worry there. Rolling it was the usual messy pain in the ass that rolling oil always is. With the crispy dried leaves for mix I was expecting the usual searing discomfort scraping its way down my protesting bronchial tract after raping every one of my taste buds first, but it was actually quite smooth. Would have been a little better with baccy, but whaddaya do?

So I still have a bunch of CBDream leaves in the freezer, probably enough to make another blob of oil. I'll do that some night when the wife's working again so I won't have to listen to her going on about alcohol fumes right through the house. Some people. I gotta go close the kitchen window.

Great tutorial Flytier -

One thing you might try next time is do a second wash of you leaves after you do your first filter. I've been told by some in making green dragon tincture that by doing a second wash you can pull an additional 15-20% THC. I use about 1/2 the amount of alcohol on the second run.

Great tutorial Flytier -

One thing you might try next time is do a second wash of you leaves after you do your first filter. I've been told by some in making green dragon tincture that by doing a second wash you can pull an additional 15-20% THC. I use about 1/2 the amount of alcohol on the second run.

Thanks for the tip Troy, I'll do that when I try it again.

Nice man! Glad it worked, it's a personal favorite for me when I want to make some concentrates without going crazy on gear n stuff! Nice work, looks like some potent stuff ;P

I make a bit of qwiso hash every yr from some of the trim & it's always nice to have around. I usually heat it a bit w/ some weed, mix it up & smoke that way. It's not the world's best hash, but it's always good.

...especially since it's made out of stuff that would otherwise go to the compost pile.

I make a bit of qwiso hash every yr from some of the trim & it's always nice to have around. I usually heat it a bit w/ some weed, mix it up & smoke that way. It's not the world's best hash, but it's always good.

...especially since it's made out of stuff that would otherwise go to the compost pile.

The three Rs - reduce, reuse, recycle.

That's awesome, Fly! I saw a video where they took 4 ounces of bud and mixed it with olive oil and baked it in the oven. Is this the same concept? I mean obviously this is concentrated, but if you had used something like olive oil to mix it with, wouldn't you be able to add it to 00 capsules? Maybe I'm just retarded. lol

Edit: They made over 1,000 60mg capsules with their 4 ounces.

I plan to do something similar in the future; however, I probably won't be making concentrate. I was thinking of making dry ice hash. Have you ever heard of / done it?

That's awesome, Fly! I saw a video where they took 4 ounces of bud and mixed it with olive oil and baked it in the oven. Is this the same concept? I mean obviously this is concentrated, but if you had used something like olive oil to mix it with, wouldn't you be able to add it to 00 capsules? Maybe I'm just retarded. lol

Edit: They made over 1,000 60mg capsules with their 4 ounces.

I plan to do something similar in the future; however, I probably won't be making concentrate. I was thinking of making dry ice hash. Have you ever heard of / done it?

You're thinking of the cooking oil where the cannabinoids remain in solution, whereas this one is dissolved in alcohol which is then evaporated off, leaving a highly concentrated end product. I ended up with about a half gram of very potent concentrate. If I were to use bud instead of leaf I'd have gotten considerably more, but I'm just tinkering with the leftover leaves I have in the freezer.

I've heard of the dry ice hash but I've never tried it. I'm not sure if it's different in potency from what I just did; it's probably more dependent on the strain you're using. I used White Widow and it got me wrecked, whereas my next one will be CBDream, which will be less psychoactive. I've made my own butter, but it don't turn out anywhere near as good as this stuff.

When it's free dude it don't have to be top shelf enjoy

Agreed!

I'm going to try to ramp up the hash a bit next fall. Just picked up the beans for a Lebanese hashplant hybrid w/ a fairly high CBD/THC ratio and an Amnesia Haze x Hashplant for next yrs outdoor grow. I'm excited!

You're absolutely right, and after reading it I got another bottle of alcohol and did it again. Only this time rather than cutting up the leaves with a knife I put them in the blender that I had set to Subatomic, and used only one coffee filter at a time. I figure if a small bit of A+ was nice, I'll be better off with even more B-, considering the small quantity I'd be getting either way. And as soon as I put it in the casserole dish the particulates began to settle out.

Anyway, here's a comparison of todays green solution to last night's yellowish stuff (I can't even exaggerate and call it chartreuse):
aDSCI1440.jpg
aDSCI1429.jpg

Like I mentioned earlier, this is made with CBDream, so I'm not expecting to get fried off this lot, although it should relax me pretty good. I'll post the results in a couple hours when it's done.

Woo f^&k ya

Woo f^&k ya

And this time I got some baccy to smoke it right.

Actually the picture I just posted is a little off. I used the flash and you can see to the bottom of it easily in this picture. In real life, it's a bit more of an eye strain.

Lol nice man! That is some intense green! So damn neon lol

Lol nice man! That is some intense green! So damn neon lol

Thanks. I just finished my second one and I'm pretty much paralyzed here, and it's almost all body stone. Never had anything like it before. There's a lot of solid stuff in there; plant matter, maybe? It was blended up pretty fine. I haven't tried that yet.

And this time I got some baccy to smoke it right.

Actually the picture I just posted is a little off. I used the flash and you can see to the bottom of it easily in this picture. In real life, it's a bit more of an eye strain.

Try it rolled mixed w/ weed instead of tobac. It's tastier & stonier.

Thanks. I just finished my second one and I'm pretty much paralyzed here, and it's almost all body stone. Never had anything like it before. There's a lot of solid stuff in there; plant matter, maybe? It was blended up pretty fine. I haven't tried that yet.

Probably fairly high in CBD, which is not a bad thing & does provide a def. body stone (for lack of a better term).

Great work!

Thanks a lot. This strain is rated for 6 percent thc and cbd. Nice to get to sleep with.

Sounds awesome!

I make oil from my fan leaf trim, which I think is pretty high in CBD because of the body buzz (never had it tested, so I don't for sure, though).

The Lebanese variant I'm growing this coming spring supposedly has about 6-10% CBD & 15-18%THC, which was exactly what I'm looking for.

Nice work, compadre!

Back
Top Bottom