Medical Pot Patients Grounded

RoguePoet

Medical pot patients grounded

Marijuana advocates arrested at airports, state law notwithstanding

by Nancy Cook Lauer Stephens Media

Published: Sunday, October 31, 2010 8:20 AM HST

Big Island medical marijuana patients trying to take their pakalolo on interisland flights are increasingly finding themselves in court, despite a state law protecting them from prosecution.

Donna Goldsworthy, a nurse and well-known Red Cross volunteer, was one of two medical marijuana patients appearing Thursday in District Court in Hilo, responding to warrants stemming from marijuana possession at Hilo International Airport. Both Goldsworthy and the other defendant, Alan R. Lee, are fighting second-degree misdemeanor charges of promoting a dangerous drug.

Another defendant who was arrested at Kona International Airport is scheduled for court in Kona on Dec. 7.

Belinda Hill, the public defender representing Goldsworthy and Lee, filed motions to dismiss the charges, although both defendants signed stipulations admitting they were in possession of marijuana. Deputy Prosecuting Attorney Andrew Son stipulated the two had valid medical marijuana certificates, known as "blue cards," when they were charged and their marijuana confiscated.

District Judge Barbara Takase said she'd take the motions under advisement and issue written findings at a Dec. 15 hearing.

The Transportation Security Administration, the federal agency that screens passengers at airports, doesn't arrest passengers on drug charges, a spokesman said Friday. Instead, the agency turns the passengers over to local law enforcement.

"Our mission is to keep explosives off planes," said TSA spokesman Nico Melendez. "Drug enforcement is not in our mission."

A half-dozen members of marijuana advocacy group Friends for Justice sat though the hearings in a show of support.

"We're here for moral support and because evil doesn't function well under the light," said the Rev. Nancy Harris, of Sacred Truth Mission.

The group has also planned a "Light Up the Vote" candidate forum and rally at 2 p.m. today at the Mooheau Park Bandstand on Hilo's Bayfront.

Advocate Matt Rifkin, a member of the Medical Cannabis Working Group set up by the state Legislature, said medical marijuana patients often report problems when they attempt to board planes for interisland travel. Many testified during legislative hearings on medical marijuana bills over the past four years.

He said at least 5,000 of the approximately 8,000 registered medical marijuana users in the state live on the Big Island. They often need to travel to Honolulu for medical care, he said.

"I think this happens a fair bit, but people just pay the fine and be done with it," Rifkin said.

Last year, more than 400 people were arrested for possession of less than an ounce of marijuana, he said, although it's not known how many of them had blue cards. Bench warrants are issued for simple possession, and defendants can avoid the charge by paying a $50 fine and $350 in court fees, he said.

Goldsworthy, who was in a wheelchair with a broken leg, was detained at the Hilo airport Dec. 12, 2008, after a pat-down search found 10.2 grams of marijuana in a plastic bag in her waistband, according to the stipulation. Lee was carrying 2.97 ounces in his checked-in luggage when he was stopped Nov. 6.

State law allows registered medical-marijuana patients to possess up to three ounces of marijuana. The patients aren't allowed to use the pakalolo in a public setting but "transportation of marijuana for medical use is specifically protected," according to a manual put out by the state Department of Public Safety Narcotics Enforcement Division.

Medical marijuana confiscated by the county Police Department is to be returned "immediately upon the determination by a court that the qualifying patient or primary caregiver is entitled to the protection offered by the Medical use of Marijuana Law," although HPD will not be responsible for the care and maintenance of seized live marijuana plants, according to HPD's Rules and Regulations Governing Investigations Involving the Medical and Religious Use of Marijuana.

Another defendant in court the same day, Robin Brian Young, was arrested Nov. 6 at Mooheau Park near the bus station in Hilo. Young's trial was postponed until Feb. 25 because Young, apparently suffering from stroke-like symptoms of slurred speech, poor motor control and confusion, stated he didn't understand the proceedings.

"What part of it didn't you understand?" asked Takase. "Were you listening?"

"I'm not feeling well," Young said. "I don't understand what's going on ... I'm a little confused today ... I have my license and I have three ounces."

Copyright © 2010 - Hawaii Tribune-Herald

Hawaii Tribune-Herald :: Hilo, Hawaii > Local News

great follow up LTE in Monday's paper....

Medical marijuana

Monday, November 8, 2010 8:36 AM HST
No legal authority

By way of introduction, I had a 24-year career in federal law enforcement and then worked for the state judiciary and the enforcement branch of the Department of Land and Natural Resources for 13 years. I am a strong supporter of law enforcement. Even so, I was appalled by the piece in West Hawaii Today Oct. 31. It appears a major travesty of justice is playing out here.

To see two medical marijuana patients improperly denied boarding on an aircraft and then detained by the Transportation Security Authority representatives for arrest by the local police is ludicrous if I can accept WHT's assurance that they were in full compliance with state law. According to the article, a TSA spokesman stated their only mission is to keep explosives off planes (something they have not done in nine years to the best of my knowledge). That amounts to tacit admission that TSA exceeded their statutory authority in this case.

The local police then "stole" their legally owned property and conducted what appears to be an illegal arrest. Worse the prosecutor for whatever reason decided to levy criminal charges against the two individuals that seem to have been in full compliance with the law, and if so, they are victims and NOT criminals. Lastly, the judge in the case failed to see the baselessness of this case and is pursuing it!

We all have to comply with various laws such as wear your seat belt, comply with speed limits, don't drive and use a cell phone, etc. If we don't like the laws, we must work within the system to change them and follow them in the meantime. Law enforcement has the same obligation and should be held to an even higher standard in this regard.

Yet in this case it appears we have the feds, the state and local authorities who don't agree with our medical marijuana laws, choose to violate them and harass law-abiding citizens and try to prosecute them.

My advice to the two victims that now find themselves defendants is to sue their butts off. Enforcement and the courts are not above the law.

For the record, the only marijuana I ever touched was samples of evidence in a seizure case for illicit trafficking cases. Some sanity needs to get interjected here, and if a cardiac patient is driving down the road with prescription drugs in his or her car and is stopped by police, would their medication be seized, that person get arrested and face criminal charges? I think not.

I'd love to have someone in law enforcement advise us why in hell people holding legal prescriptions are treated differently based upon the particular drug.

We'll get silence as none of the entities in this case have ANY legal authority for their actions, nor a leg to stand on.

Keith King

Kailua-Kona

West Hawaii Today - from archives > Opinion > Letters - Your Voice > Medical marijuana

Back
Top Bottom