DPFHI commemorates the 40th anniversary of the Drug War

RoguePoet

You are invited to:

The Drug Policy Forum of Hawaii Commemorates the 40th Anniversary of the War on Drugs

"40 Years of Collateral Damage from the War on Drugs"
Saturday, June 18, 2011
1:00 p.m.-4:00 p.m., Reception to follow

Neil S. Blaisdell Center
Maui Room, 2nd Floor Meeting Rooms
777 Ward Avenue
Honolulu, Hawaii 96814

Keynote Presentation:
Scott Michelman-"Trying our Patients: Politics vs. Health in the War on Drugs"

Scott Michelman is a Staff Attorney with the ACLU Criminal Law Reform Project, Santa Cruz, CA.,where he has litigated cases involving medical marijuana, racially discriminatory drug law enforcement, federal sentencing law, and unreasonable search and seizure. He previously taught civil rights litigation at the Seton Hall Law School Center for Social Justice and has served as an adjunct professor at Santa Clara Law School. Over the course of his career, Mr. Michelman's docket has spanned a broad range of civil rights issues, including post-September 11 abuse of executive power, employment discrimination and wrongful termination, political protest, immigrants' rights, freedom of the press, and enforcement of federal statutory rights. Mr. Michelman graduated magna cum laude from Harvard Law School.

Panel Presentation:
Collateral Damage #1: Drug War Politics Trumps Science
"The Case for Rescheduling Cannabis," Charlie Webb, M.D., Hawai`i Island physician who drafted Hawai`i Medical Association's resolution urging rescheduling of cannabis to Schedule III.

Collateral Damage #2: Drug War Politics Impedes Research
"Barriers to Cannabis Research in Hawai`i," Clifton Otto, M.D., who advocated for research in the 2011 legislative session, he will also talk about his experiences as a first time advocate.

Collateral Damage #3: Pain, Suffering, & Arrests
"Experiences of Hawai`i Island Patients and Advocates," Matt Rifkin, Americans for Safe Access, Big Island Chapter and Friends for Justice; will talk about organizing patients, support groups, implementation of the Lowest Law Enforcement Priority Ordinance, and patient arrests for transporting cannabis.

$10 donation suggested

Sponsored by: Drug Policy Forum of Hawai`i, ACLU of Hawai`i, Drug Policy Alliance, Community Alliance on Prisons, Life of the Land, Harm Reduction Hawai`i

Home Drug Policy Forum of Hawaii

Back
Top Bottom