Hemp and Global Warming

Johnny

Whilst there is still some doubt that global warming is occurring, the possibility of it has been recognized for over a century. Reports including those from the Office of Technology of Assessment from the 1970s onwards indicate that warming is occurring. Temperature records (1850-2000) indicate that there has been a fluctuating, gradual rate of increase in both temperature and energy - hence the increased occurrence of 'freak' weather incidents such as hurricanes and floods. Climatologists agree that greenhouse gases are responsible for warming the atmosphere and that 66% of greenhouse gases are caused by burning fossil fuel, deforestation and fertilizers.

All though some 'experts' (most notably those with affiliation to greenhouse gas producing industries) remain sceptical over whether global warming is occurring or not, we should at least err on the side of caution. Freak weather incidents, and rising sea levels are likely to have significant negative effects upon human civilizations. The UK government is committed to increased reliance upon nuclear energy, which creates the additional risks associated with the storage of radioactive waste and radioactive emissions. Alternatives to the burning of fossil fuels, nuclear waste, deforestation and nitrate chemical fertilizers need to be developed. Hemp could have a vital role to play in the development of friendly alternatives.

Energy Production

A report published by the FCDA of Europe outlines the Cannabis Biomass Energy Equation (CBEE), outlining a convincing case that hemp plants can be used to produce fuel energy cheaper per BTU than fossil fuels and uranium - without producing greenhouse gases! Hemp plants have the highest known quantities of cellulose for annuals - with at least 4x (some suggest even 50-100x) the biomass potential of its closest rivals (cornstalks, sugarcane, kernaf and trees) (Omni, 1983). Biomass production still produces greenhouse gases, although the idea is that the excess of carbon dioxide will be used up by growing hemp plants - they are effective absorbers and thrive at high levels - Unlike fossil fuel energy which produces energy from plants which died millions of years ago.

On reading the report of the FCDA, Hon. Jonathon Porrit (ex-director of Friends of the Earth, currently on the Board of Forum for the Future) commented 'I DID enjoy reading it - the report should contribute much'. Three years later - authorities are still not taking the potential of this plant seriously. MAFF are currently engaging in supporting research into the biomass potential of poplar trees which they claim has the most scientific support for biomass energy production. H-E-M-P recommend use of the hemp plant if biomass energy production is to have any real impact in reducing carbon dioxide levels.

It's so productive: 1 acre of hemp = 1,000 gallons of methanol.

In fact, Henry Ford's first car ran on hemp-methanol! - and at just a fraction of the cost of petroleum alternatives. Alternatives to coal, fuel oil, acetone, ethyl, tar pitch and creosote can be derived - from this one single plant!

As regards depletion of the ozone layer - hemp actually withstands UV radiation. It absorbs UV light, whilst resisting damage to itself and providing protection for everything else.

Risk-free, pollution-free energy. No acid rain, and a reduction in airborne pollution of up to 80% ... There's further potential for the same in industry.

Source: HEMP - Helping Earth's Sustainable Management with a Plant
Copyright: Clare Saunders 2000

If hemp were grown to replace the trees used in paper the surviving trees would do the globe a world of good.

Also warming is detected on other planets.

This gives credence to those of us who do not believe earth's warming is man caused.

Man caused global warming has been given the Reefer Madness propaganda treatment. Say the same lie often & long enough, act as if it were really true & soon many people will think the lie is true.

All that said, I have no problem with alternative energy sources. None. In fact I would love to power my grow lights with solar panels. :) I wish I could afford enough solar so I could double my indoor grows. That reminds me, any 0one know how LED bulbs work for MJ growing? Any grow reports available? LED bulbs use little electric juice, put out little heat & last a very long time. If they are any good for indoor MJ please let us know.

mM

If hemp were grown to replace the trees used in paper the surviving trees would do the globe a world of good.

Also warming is detected on other planets.

The Reference Frame: Global warming on other planets

This gives credence to those of us who do not believe earth's warming is man caused.

Man caused global warming has been given the Reefer Madness propaganda treatment. Say the same lie often & long enough, act as if it were really true & soon many people will think the lie is true.

All that said, I have no problem with alternative energy sources. None. In fact I would love to power my grow lights with solar panels. :) I wish I could afford enough solar so I could double my indoor grows. That reminds me, any 0one know how LED bulbs work for MJ growing? Any grow reports available? LED bulbs use little electric juice, put out little heat & last a very long time. If they are any good for indoor MJ please let us know.

mM

yes, LED lamps or Halogen lamps are great for indoor growing. I don't know about the type and the amount of light you can use because it depends on the size of your indoor garden. You can check other posts here.

Back
Top Bottom