5 Notable Quotes From Virginia's Legalization Of Industrial Hemp Farming

Robert Celt

Even before the Federal Farm Bill passed in March 2014, several states were investigating the viability of growing industrial hemp. This was seen as a way to help farmers and the production of textiles and plastics, among other industries.

One early advocate of industrial hemp in Virginia was Charlottesville Mayor Dave Norris, who pointed out that there was a difference between legalizing weed and legalizing hemp.

Here are five quotes related to Virginia's legalization of industrial hemp:

1. "In Virginia, for centuries we grew industrial hemp. There's this fear mongering about industrial hemp. People link it to a different type of hemp used for illicit purposes. But that's not fair. It's a completely different product."
— Dave Norris, mayor of Charlottesville, Virginia, told Newsplex in 2010

2. "The hemp products are very popular. For one thing people buy them for the protein."
— Janet Dressel, Integral Yoga Natural Foods, on the popularity of commerical products made possible by industial hemp

3. "Farming is kind of dying. I've been down [in Nelson, Virginia] my whole life. This would give people an alternative for income. There are a lot of opportunities in rural spaces to grow. The county is so peaceful. Every time I drive down, I see different landscapes. We want to provide something for farmers and give them a reason to stay."
— Jerry Thornton, founder of Commonwealth Hemp co-op, to the Nelson County Times, on why he's an activist for industrial hemp farming in Virginia

4. "A gentleman in southwest Virginia always had interest in bringing this crop back to Virginia. When talking to him and then looking at information out there regarding hemp and the uses for it, the ease in growing it and demand, it seemed like a no-brainer to see the potential with economic growth and development."
— Delegate Joseph Yost (R-Blacksburg), who introduced the bill to allow hemp farming in Virginia, told WTVR News, on how he came to endorsing industrial hemp farming in Virginia

5. "This is going to open up our farmers to that global market, and it's experiencing double digit growth as well because of the great reasons of the nutritious seed. BMW has it their cars, a lot of people don't realize that. They're looking at putting manufacturing plants here in Virginia already."
— Jason Amatucci, founder and executive director of with Virginia Industrial Hemp Coalition, told WVIR on the potential economic impact of industrial hemp farming in Virginia

hemp58.jpg

News Moderator: Robert Celt 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: 5 Notable Quotes From Virginia's Legalization Of Industrial Hemp Farming
Author: Joseph M. Yeager
Photo Credit: None found

Back
Top Bottom