Nation's Only Hemp-Infused Wine Is Made In N.Y.

Katelyn Baker

During a trip to the Netherlands in the mid-'90s, Binghamton resident James Castetter met a Dutchman in a cafe who talked about hemp-infused wine that he created.

Interested in the idea, Castetter reproduced the same beverage when he came back home and sold it. Later, new laws would prohibit the sale of hemp-infused alcohol, creating a real buzzkill.

Now, as views toward hemp have changed, his son, Kaelan Castetter, a student at Binghamton University, persuaded him to team up with him to run another hemp-infused wine venture. Together, they operate Innovative Bottling Inc., a winery at 116 Brown St., Johnson City, that produces their wine: Sovereign Vines.

While hemp may have been shunned in the past because it was misunderstood, most people in the general public now know that although hemp features similar properties to the marijuana plant, there is hardly any tetrahydrocannabinol that would cause a psychoactive reaction.

Remembering how he had to stop selling hemp-infused wine, James Castetter was hesitant to support his son.

"I told him to stay in school and I thought he would concentrate. I told him to go back, screaming," James Castetter said. "But he didn't, so I got on board and it has taken a lot of work. It's a different era in the production and acceptance of hemp. It's not linked to marijuana, so here we go again."

The duo sources their wine from Glenora Wine Cellars in Dundee, Yates County, and the hemp extract from Bluebird Botanicals in Colorado, one day hoping to use local hemp made in the Southern Tier. The Castetters have a partner, Ben Herrera, who is head of production.

Out-of-state hemp is currently being used because of Bluebird Botanicals has the infrastructure and machinery needed to produce the hemp extract, Kaelan Castetter said. The equipment costs about $500,000.

The hemp extract makes the wine less sweet, and "more palatable on a national level," Kaelan Castetter said.

"People have different reactions to the wine," Kaelan Castetter said. "The taste is subtle. It's a natural crisp, refreshing taste."

Kaelan Castetter has received support from Assemblywoman Donna Lupardo, D-Endwell, Broome County, and former Nevada Assemblyman Andrew Martin, who has invested in the business.

Lupardo, who passed legislation in August that would allow for the processing, transportation, distribution and sale of hemp, is ecstatic that hemp is being used for business purposes in the Southern Tier.

"It's what we hoped would happen," Lupardo said. "Not only is it an exciting new product that uses industrial hemp, but (Kaelan) one day hopes to rely on local product instead of from out-of-state. I'm excited and delighted he got out in front to show what's possible."

wine.PNG

News Moderator: Katelyn Baker 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: Nation's Only Hemp-Infused Wine Is Made In N.Y.
Author: Matt Steecker
Photo Credit: Andrew Thayer

Back
Top Bottom