NY: Hartford's Haff Honoring Hemp History

Ron Strider

Today is the final day of a celebratory week you may not have known was going on.

June 5-11 was dedicated to promoting and advocating for the full federal legalization of one of America's oldest crops — hemp. Growing hemp is currently legal in 32 states, including New York.

One local, and vocal, proponent of the crop, took time this week to celebrate. Hartford Supervisor Dana Haff took to social media to share some stories of advancements hemp has made and perceived benefits the crop could have on the environment and the economy.

"Hemp is advancing slow but sure, slow as only government can do," Haff said of the crop's progress in New York state in recent years.

According to Vote Hemp, a group that lobbies for the full legalization of hemp, the product's market increased by 25 percent in 2016.

In 2013, when hemp growing was still illegal in New York, the Washington County Board of Supervisors, upon Haff's request, passed a resolution urging the state and federal government to recognize the benefits of hemp as an agricultural product. The resolution was crafted by Haff, Argyle Supervisor Bob Henke, then-Jackson Supervisor Alan Brown, then-Kingsbury Supervisor Jim Lindsay and then-Fort Ann Supervisor Darlene Dumas.

"In 2013, when I advocated and was able to get a Washington County resolution supporting hemp, many supervisors criticized it as a complete pipe dream and waste of their time because it would never happen," Haff said. "That was four years ago and even though it seems like the progress is going at a snail's pace, at least it is going."

The outspoken Hartford supervisor has done his part, individually, to advocate for the crop.

"I personally use hemp products when I can find them," Haff said. "I have hemp shoelaces thanks to Chairman of the Board Bob Henke. I also used to eat hemp breakfast cereal until Hannaford no longer stocked it, and I use hemp/peppermint soap."

Hemp is the non-psychoactive compound of the cannabis plant. It was legal to grow in the United States until the passage of the 1937 Marihuana Tax Act effectively prohibited it. Then in 1970, the Controlled Substance Act, fully outlawed the growth and possession of the crop because of its ties to marijuana.

Many of the founding fathers of the United States — including George Washington, Thomas Jefferson and James Madison — grew the crop. Hemp has been used as a biofuel, insulation, paint, plastics and textiles. It's protein is also frequently sold as an alternative to the popular whey protein.

Haff sees a future for the crop, particularly in an agricultural county like Washington County.

Hemp_Plant_and_Cloth_-_Adobe.jpg

News Moderator: Ron Strider 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: Hartford's Haff honoring hemp history | Local | poststar.com
Author: DAN KING
Photo Credit: Adobe
Website: poststar.com | News in Glens Falls, Saratoga, Lake George and more

Back
Top Bottom