How To Stop A Cat's Nighttime Howls

Ron Strider

I've had my orange tabby since he was a kitten and he will be 18 years old next month.

He likes to sleep on me at night to stay warm. Probably because of arthritis – I can relate – he started changing positions every 5 or 10 minutes, which of course wakes me up.

I started putting a few drops of cannabis tincture for pets in his favorite wet food right before bed. It really helps. He sleeps through the night and it seems to be helping him all around. His coat looks better and he moves more easily.

The tincture has no psychoactive properties, of course, only the cannabidiol, which aids in pain, sleep and also helps his appetite.

Needless to say, we are both sleeping better now. A win-win.

Just a note about cannabidiol, which usually is abbreviated as CBD. The tincture is not made from actual cannabis, but from a close relative, hemp.

There is evidence that marijuana can be fatal to dogs and possibly to cats if consumed, so when using so-called "pot for pets" products, be sure to read the ingredients carefully.

Hemp contains only small amounts of tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), so it lacks the psychoactive qualities of cannabis.

Not a lot of research has been done on these products so their use and successes are anecdotal. Obviously your cat is benefiting from his nighttime dose. For others who might want to try it, talk with your vet first.

Like any over-the-counter medication, you want to make sure it's safe for your pet. Remember, just because it's approved for humans, doesn't mean it's good for animals.

Cat_-_Getty_Images.jpg

News Moderator: Ron Strider 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: How to stop a howling cat: Hemp, window seats and more
Author: Joan Morris
Photo Credit: Getty Images
Website: The Mercury News - Bay Area news, sports, business, entertainment, lifestyle and commentary

Back
Top Bottom