Hemp Goes High Fashion With Bad Decision Adventure Club

Ron Strider

When you think of hemp clothing, you usually conjure up images of hippie dippy tie-dye clothes. Scratchy and made of dull colors available at rock festivals or retailers that favor green causes. Now hemp is going high fashion with emerging apparel brand Bad Decision Adventure Club (BDAC).

Usually, hemp is the fabric of choice for pro-marijuana types since the fiber is derived from plant cannabis sativa. Industrial varieties without the psychoactive properties have been grown since the 5th century B.C. when Phoenicians used hemp for sail cloth. Instead of focusing on the buzzy aspects of marijuana, the designers of BDAC focus on the sustainability factors of the hemp plant.

"When you're growing hemp, you don't have to use as many pesticides and uses 50% less water than industrial cotton," said founder and Chief Executive Officer Rachel Grant. Her concerns about the climate and global warming motivated her to choose hemp. "I want to help the world as much as I can."

Grant said she hasn't had any issues procuring the hemp fabric, which is sourced in Los Angeles. BDAC blends the hemp with organic cotton, which gives the fabric a noticeable softness and gentle draping fold to the textile. "I feel like a lot of products that have been made out of hemp tends to have a rough feel," Grant said. "Our fabric is milled just for us." Her choice of colors is also on trend with a neutral palette of ivory and peach tones.

The line is also gender-neutral. The sizing is unisex and runs large for women. The design pieces include a trend friendly bomber jacket as well as an overall piece and boxy T-shirts.

Currently, the company prefers to stay as an online retailer, but it will begin selling in a physical store in Venice. Grant said, "My hope and dream would be to have the line in Barney's or Bergdorf's — more of the high-end stores. It's a luxury basics line." It is certainly priced as a luxury brand. The basic T-shirts retail for $120 and the bomber jacket is $300.

Other companies that make hemp-based clothes include yoga brand prAna that is owned by Columbia Sportswear, outdoor brand Patagonia and the website Hempest. Hempest also intends to move away from the burlap sack idea of hemp clothing, but it also features an earthier design aesthetic.

BDAC also has a give back component to its apparel. For every item sold, it donates $5 to the Skid Row Housing Trust, a non-profit organization that helps the homeless in Los Angeles.

Grant and her business partner Alyssa Gudino took the name from an inside joke they used during their travels. "We've had fun and gotten into trouble. Making bad decisions like staying up all night," she said.

Hemp_Clothing_-_Bad_Decision_Adventure_Club.jpg

News Moderator: Ron Strider 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: Hemp Goes High Fashion With Bad Decision Adventure Club
Author: Debra Borchardt
Photo Credit: Bad Decision Adventure Club

Back
Top Bottom