Aus: Spring Hill Hemp Grower Lyn Stephenson Says Ruling Will Be Huge Benefit

Ron Strider

A ruling that will clear the way for hemp to be manufactured as a food product is set to benefit a niche industry of growers following a decade-long fight.

Industrial Hemp Association of Victoria president Lyn Stephenson, said the Council of Australian Governments ruling earlier this year would allow for food-grade products, including oil and granola style seeds, to be sold in Australia.

The oil in particular has been credited as having a range of health benefits including as an alternative to fish oil – hemp has high levels of omega 3 and omega 6, both beneficial to bones, joints and arthritis management.

Unlike cannabis, hemp contains no tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) which is used to produce a high.

It can be used for a range of products including textiles, paper, rope, fuel and stock feed.

Ms Stephenson started growing hemp on her Spring Hill property five years ago after originally looking into the plant to try and understand how a friend's marijuana consumption had led to a diagnosis of bipolar.

"I started researching marijuana in a way to understand my enemy – a close friend had started smoking dope in university to relax and had a psychotic episode which revealed she was bipolar," she said.

"The more I researched the more I understood there were more than 2000 species of Cannabaceae and cannabis sativa was a family which included hemp, which has no tetrahydrocannabinol (THC).

Her home, which also houses a bed and breakfast business, celebrates its uses and includes animal bedding, insulation and kitty litter made from the plant.

She also produces a type of edible mezze, which includes oil and seeds which she hopes will be a highlight in tasting plates at local wineries.

While the recent ruling brings opportunities there are so far no suitable industrial oil presses in Australia and hemp's close relationship to the controversial cannabis ensures tricky bureaucratic demands.

"I have to notify the department in writing every year a month before my planned planting date," she said.

"I then have to nominate a date for them to test the crop randomly at least a month in advance to check I am not growing an illegal crop and pay them by the hour for the visit.

"It is then sent to Western Australia for testing."

She said the biggest challenge in making the industry viable was education as well as seed availability.

Ms Stephenson plans an open day on her Bunjil Farm when the ratification of hemp for food comes into effect.

HEMP FACTS

- Hemp originated from India, the Middle East and Central Asia.

- Hemp oil is used for food, industrial lubrication, diesel fuel, paint and varnishes.

- US hemp product sales in 2014 have been estimated at $US620 million.

- Canada legalized hemp production in 1997, separating it from drug legislation.

- Hemp needs few pesticides to grow and has been promoted as a potential energy source for its high biomass.

- Historically it was used for ropes, sails and canvases.

Hemp_Grower_Lyn_Stephenson_-_Mark_Wilson.jpg

News Moderator: Ron Strider 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: No Cookies | Herald Sun
Author: Barry Kennedy
Photo Credit: Mark Wilson

Back
Top Bottom