UK: New Vegan Street Food Van Bringing Hemp Burgers To Yeovil And Glastonbury Markets

Ron Strider

A new 100 per cent vegan street food van will be serving hemp burgers and more in Yeovil town center on Fridays.

The street food van was serving up tasty vegan dishes in Yeovil for the first time today (Friday October 6), including burgers, falafel and sweet potato fries.

The van, run by Matt Sparrey who lives in Stoke St Gregory near Langport, will also be appearing in Glastonbury town center on Tuesdays.

Mr Sparrey said the van's maiden Yeovil appearance on Middle Street was "busier than I thought".

He said: "My first ever veggie burger stall was at Glastonbury Festival in 1987, and since then we have regularly done festivals across the country including Womad and V Festival.

"I stopped in 2003 because I had children, and I couldn't be going away for long periods every summer.

"However, these days we do festivals all through the summer, and now we are bringing this van to the Yeovil and Glastonbury markets."

Hemp is a variety of the Cannabis sativa plant species, and Mr Sparrey fries up burgers with his nephew, Joseph.
The hemp burgers also include carrot, breadcrumbs, soy mince, onions and herbs.

Mr Sparrey says that everything sold from the van is organically grown, fairly sourced, vegan, and gluten free.

He said: "Organically grown products have a much fuller, more natural flavor and are produced without the aid of artificial chemicals such as fertilizers which harm the soil & the environment.

"Fairly sourced products from the Fairtrade Foundation provides producers in developing countries with a fair price for their products, plus a Fairtrade premium to invest in local community development.

"Fairtrade buyers enter into long term contracts enabling investment and stable employment. The Fairtrade Mark guarantees employee welfare and high environmental standards."

Mr Sparrey wrote on the van's website: "I have been catering at various festivals and events off and on with vegan / vegetarian food since the late 1980s.

"The first big festival was Glastonbury Festival 1987 we had a pitch in the old top market, we were on the front row, and had a great view of the old Pyramid stage, which my pyramid kitchens are modeled on.

"I did not have a stall name then, most of the festivals I catered at were free festivals, I just use to turn up, build the stall off the side of my old Commer truck then make veggie burgers and get the frying pans on.

"I have been catering at music festivals, big and small, green fayres and private functions pretty much since then, with different trucks, trailers & marquees."

Hemp_Food_Van_-_somersetlive.jpg

News Moderator: Ron Strider 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: New vegan street food van is bringing hemp burgers to Yeovil and Glastonbury markets - Somerset Live
Author: Tomas Malloy
Photo Credit: somersetlive
Website: Somerset Live - Latest local news, sport & business from Somerset

Back
Top Bottom