Australia: Hemp Bread Heads To Market In Benalla

Ron Strider

After two decades in the pipeline, you can legally get your fix of hemp this weekend – albeit with butter and Vegemite on it.

From Sunday the sale of hemp for human consumption will be legal in Australia.

The much-maligned plant, part of the cannabis family, has been given the tick of approval by state and federal governments.

Benalla baker Andrew Bertalli will be up early on Sunday to bake his first batch of hemp bread, 17 years after he began lobbying for hemp foodstuffs to be legalized.

"As far as I could see there were a lot of excuses for why politicians thought it shouldn't be legalized," Mr Bertalli said.

"With the steps forward in medical marijuana recently, I think it was inevitable the Government would need to reassess the reasons why hemp was illegal to be consumed."

In April, the Council of Australian Governments ruled hemp – which has negligible hallucinogenic levels – was ruled safe for humans to eat.

Mr Bertalli will now add the hemp loaf to his range.

"What worries me about producing hemp bread is being recognized as a hippy bakery when we're really producing healthy alternatives to regular bread," Mr Bertalli said.

Mr Bertalli said the new loaf included 6 per cent hemp seed and oil.

"To start off with I think there will be a bit of rush just because it is hemp, but I think consumers will be very surprised how good it is," he said.

Mr Bertalli will use Australian-grown hemp, some of which was produced in the Western District, where farmers are expecting demand for the crop to increase in the future.

The bread will be sold in-store, online and in independent supermarkets as of next week, and in major supermarkets next year.

Hemp_Bread_-_Chloe_Smith.jpg

News Moderator: Ron Strider 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: No Cookies | The Weekly Times
Author: ALICE POHLNER
Photo Credit: Chloe Smith

Back
Top Bottom