Fresh Crop - Wilson Among Kentucky's New Hemp Farmers

Ron Strider

Seven years ago, Chad Wilson was anti-industrial hemp, but that's mostly because he didn't really know what it was. He thought industrial hemp and marijuana were the same thing.

But they're not. Industrial hemp is different from marijuana, even though they are part of the same plant family.

"All my life I was told to stay away from the Devil's lettuce, and that's what I did as a good southern boy," he said. "I didn't understand that hemp wasn't marijuana."

The major difference between the two is that industrial hemp contains a much lower concentration of tetrahydrocannabinol, or THC, than marijuana.

THC is the hallucinogenic that is found in marijuana.

"There is no getting high off industrial hemp," he said.

After seven years, Wilson has come a long way. He has gone from being anti-industrial hemp to being an industrial hemp farmer. He is also now a cannabis activist.

He grows hemp on land in Cave City he calls the Sacred Seed Farm, and says he got into industrial hemp farming by accident.

"I was doing organic farming on a little two acre plot in Bowling Green. I realized my son did not know how to grow his own food and seeds. At that point I was just doing traditional gardening, so I got into finding ways to teach him and stumbled across some stuff on hemp and the nutritional value," he said.

Then he discovered that studies are showing an extract of industrial hemp can be used to aid in the treatment of certain illnesses, even epilepsy. He also learned that industrial hemp can be used to make biodiesel fuel and clothing, among other things.

Wilson planted a little more than nine acres of industrial hemp this year. He is one of two hemp farmers in Barren County, and one of many across the state.

"In order to be a hemp producer, it is a permitting process and that process is handled by the Kentucky Department of Agriculture in cooperation with law enforcement so that everybody is on the same page. They know where every hemp production is," said Chris Schalk, Barren County's Agriculture Extension Agent. "I guess this is probably the second or third year for the permitting process."

The federal farm bill of 2014 allowed state departments of agriculture to create industrial hemp research pilot programs.

Kentucky Agriculture Commissioner Ryan Quarles hosted a roundtable discussion for Barren County producers in October at the Barren County Cooperative Extension Service's office off West Main Street, and during his talk he mentioned industrial hemp.

"Industrial hemp obviously gets a lot of publicity. We have a very strong industrial research hemp program here. We want to remind people that this may not be a silver bullet for tobacco, but it might be something that works for some farmers. It may not work for others," he said. "My family used to grow it in World War II because the government asked them to for the U.S. Navy. For some people we believe this could be a profitable market."

On Wilson's Sacred Seed Farm, he grows industrial hemp for the cannabidiol or CDB, a natural plant compound with significant medical benefits.

Wilson is co-owner of a Louisville-based business called Green Remedy.

"We buy the hemp from the farmers and then we take it into our facility and we have a CO2 extraction where we extract the CDB and then we make the tinctures and the capsules and the isolets and all the different kinds of products, and it is a Kentucky Proud Product," he said.

Wilson is also owner of another business called Modern Concepts, which is located on the Sacred Seed Farm in Cave City.

"This is about a 4-year-old business that I moved from Bowling Green because I wanted to get back to small town America. I wanted to get back to country living and back home to the country," Wilson said. "We're losing farm families every day across the state and my family was one of the ones who lost their farm in the early '80s due to the economics of farming. For me, it's personal and it's about getting my boys back to the farm and living simpler."

Modern Concepts is a garden supply center that will offer organic, hydroponic, aquaponic and aeroponicly grown plants.

"We're also a distributor for a "Shark Tank' product — the Tree-T-Pee. What we're doing is basically going out and finding the specialty product for this industry and bringing it to Cave City," he said.

Industrial hemp farming has become an economically viable business for many producers.

"There's not a lot crops out there right now that can bring the economic hope to the small Kentucky farm like this plant can right now," Wilson said.

Despite all the things industrial hemp has going for it, it is considered to be a Schedule I controlled substance under the federal Controlled Substances Act, along with other varieties of cannabis. But that is something U.S. Rep. James Comer, R-Tompkinsville, is hoping to change.

"I have a bill that I'm working on ... that will address all of the updates that are needed with the hemp industry. And that's the Industrial Hemp Farming Act of 2017," Comer said.

The Industrial Hemp Farming Act of 2017 will do a lot of things, but the main thing it will do is reclassify industrial hemp from a controlled substance to an agriculture crop.

"That will solve a lot of the problems right there," he said.

Comer, a former Kentucky commissioner of agriculture, referred to industrial hemp as being "a huge success story."

"That's something I was glad to be a part of in a big way and that's kind of the issue that I'm identified with. When we passed it in 2013 in Kentucky, nobody would have predicted that here we are four years later and we are the leading hemp producing state in the nation," he said. "It's just been a real good success story. There's a lot of hemp being grown in Kentucky. A lot of companies that are coming into the state are making a big private investment, so I think the future looks very bright for the hemp industry in Kentucky."

Extracting CDB from industrial hemp is not the only thing that can be done with the plant.

"It is being used as fiber in textiles. It is being used as a heavy duty fiber in a lot of the tarps that is used in the military. We've got companies trying to use the fiber to make components for the automotive industry for mainly the dashboards and door panels for cars in Europe," Comer said

Industrial hemp is also being grown for livestock feed.

"Murray State University is doing a lot of research on hemp from that aspect because it yields so much more per acre than fescue hay," he said. "And they are testing the digestibility and the nutrient content. Cattle eat it. That's for sure."

Comer continued that he thinks more and more uses will surface for industrial hemp because it is a plant than can be used in so many ways.

"It can be used in bioenergy. It can be used in textiles. It can be used in pharmaceuticals. It can be used in construction. There seems like for every potential use of hemp there is interest in companies to come into the state and make an investment and start processing the hemp here in Kentucky, which would be good," he said. "It would be good for farmers. It would be good for job creation.

"I think that once we can get legislation on the federal level that deregulates hemp, I think you'll see more private dollars flow in and more processing facilities come online and therefore more farmers will grow it."

Hemp_in_Colorado_-_Lindsey_Bartlett.jpg

News Moderator: Ron Strider 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: Fresh crop: Wilson among Kentucky's new hemp farmers | News | glasgowdailytimes.com
Author: GINA KINSLOW
Photo Credit: Lindsey Bartlett

Back
Top Bottom