Can Blacklights Be Used For Growing?

SmokeyMacPot

They can not.
Blacklights do not produce the correct spectrum of light to grow plants.

The only lights that currently produce the required color spectrum of light to grow plants are the following;

Suitable for Growing:

Flourescent (Tube shaped)

Compact Fluorescent
(a flourescent tube with ballast included that screws into regular light fixture)

Metal Halide (MH) Best for Vegetative growth, but it doesn't contain all of the spectrum needed later during flowering for truly outstanding buds. the light shines a blueish/white color

High Pressure Sodium (HPS) Best for Flowering. Ok for Vegetative. shines a yellow/orange color. All can be purchased at your local home/lumber store.

Not suitable for growing:

Blacklight type flourescent lights.

ANY incandescent lamp
(if it screws into a regular lamp, it won't produce worthwhile buds). Exception, compact flouro mentioned above)

Halogen

Mercury Vapor

Author: Smokey D Dope

There are types of black lights that will works But defiantly not actual black lights for display you buy at a head shop they don’t work but there are types like I have a “black light” floro bulb for my screen printing biz its not a real black light but a black light that probably could be used for growing it emulates certain sunlight rays as well maybe people are using them and they worked for them.

In a magazine I once read that adding mercury vapor during the flowering will increase yield and potency ive never tried this and I think it was around 94 when I read it but I did read it and it was a reliable source (high times). It was about the time I did my first grow ever and wanted light so I ended up with all florescent lighting I also used special bulbs called twist bulbs made for growing they kind of look like a black light but lighter you can use those for sure I did a entire grow with them back then and was defiantly a poor woman’s grow the hole thing was under $80 using a lot of florescent lights.

I once knew a guy that used black lights during the dark hours to simulate moon light, He believed it caused more crystals im not sure if it did or not but damn his weed was always COVERED in them

I once knew a guy that used black lights during the dark hours to simulate moon light, He believed it caused more crystals im not sure if it did or not but damn his weed was always COVERED in them

Simulate moonlight? The only reason that the moon doesn't screw up the flowering cycle is that it doesn't reflect enough of the sun's light to be noticed.

The plants would do perfectly fine without any moonlight whatsoever.

I'll leave the tide-affects discussion to a plant biologist lol, but you know what I mean.

The only reason I can think of to have any light at all during the dark cycle would be if you are forced to work in your garden at that time. And in that event, you would want something in the green spectrum that the plants wouldn't notice (but don't ask me to recommend any particular type, I do not know exactly what range of "green" the plants don't use and it would be a real bummer to be off by just enough to cause problems).

i have seen articles on mj friendly boards about this and apparently
adding more uv-b does help an indoor grow however CMH MH and flouros already do emitt more of this than incandesant bulbs
bulbs that do mainly uv or are tanning bed bulbs could blind you nfrom exposure without eye protection
i remember a few years back i turned on the high uv output light in my hospital room and few asleep and my eyes were burning and the doctor and nursesbith bitched at me and toldme that weird realblue bright light was germicidial uv abnd it could blindme but most strains of herb that had ancestors in the himaleyas have a much higher amount of uv in their original
locations

i have seen articles on mj friendly boards about this and apparently
adding more uv-b does help an indoor grow however CMH MH and flouros already do emitt more of this than incandesant bulbs
bulbs that do mainly uv or are tanning bed bulbs could blind you nfrom exposure without eye protection
i remember a few years back i turned on the high uv output light in my hospital room and few asleep and my eyes were burning and the doctor and nursesbith bitched at me and toldme that weird realblue bright light was germicidial uv abnd it could blindme but most strains of herb that had ancestors in the himaleyas have a much higher amount of uv in their original
locations

CHURCH
:peace:

blacklights are useable :)))

For the benefit of any newbies that might see your post and be strapping on their track shoes to run out to their nearest head shop to get one, would you care to back that statement up with some information?

for the differance in price buying a blacklight can be comparible you need like tortured soul said list some facts when where what strain what system nutes? how high and how high? how mush yield lighting times and legnth of grow com'n man. list some of this stuff to back up ur statment please

black lights are nothing more than a waste of electricity.

that arent a waste, it makes your teeth look totally cool.
wait were talking about growing with them? yeah theyre worthless

I think he had a typo maybe?
...they arent a waste,...not "that arent a waste"?

I was laughing picturing super bight white teeth in the grow room :cheesygrinsmiley:

You folks are trying to be the grammar police (badly) on a marijuana website?

LMAO.

Just thought it was funny and out of place to correct MY SPEELING HANDS Down the worst speller on the site. "I GROW THE BIGGEST PLANTS EVER in hydro under 1000 blacklights"

Back
Top Bottom