What are preflowers?

SmokeyMacPot

Preflowers, as opposed to full blown flowers, generally appear after the fourth week of vegetative growth from seed. Check carefully above the fourth node. Please note that preflowers are very small and and almost impossible to differentiate without magnification. A photographer's 10x loupe is handy indeed when examining preflowers.

As the images below demonstrate, the female preflower is pear shaped and produces a pair of pistils. Frequently, the female preflowers do not show pistils until well after the preflowers have emerged. Thus, don't yank a plant because it has no pistils. Pistillate preflowers are located at the node between the stipule and emerging branch.

Also, some female preflowers never produce pistils. A female preflower without pistils is difficult to distinguish from a male preflower. Thus, hermaphodite issues should not be resolved by the appearance of preflowers, without pistils, on a plant otherwise believed to be a female.

female14.jpg

Female (Pistillate)

femalepreflowers.jpg

Female (Pistillate)

The male preflower may be described as a "ball on a stick." However, its most recognizable feature is its absence of pistils. Sometimes, a male plant will develop mature staminate flowers after prolonged periods of vegetative growth. These appear in clusters around the nodes.

The following image shows a male plant in early flowering. Staminate flowers are located at the node between the stipule and emerging branch.

male.jpeg

Male (Staminate)

Author: Bongaloid

Wish I had found this thread a while ago change of season was a black monday had my early flowering plant turned hermie then 7 males out of 18 plants. they are 16 days into 12/12. Just added a 150 watt hps lamp 3 days ago.
Down to 10 girls I hope.

More room,more nutes=more buds

MERRY CHRISTMAS

10 out of 18 is really good dude - I don't see what you're whining about. Also in my experience a long dark period has never hermied a plant - then again I've never had a herm.

Once killed a female because I thought her veg growth was a pollen sack (she was healthy....) though. Looked back at the pic later and it definitely wasn't a herm though.

Occasionally growth at sexual location for mmj plants is actually unisexual but looks male. I believe it was either wikipedia, jorge cervantes, or the grow bible where I saw the pics and realized this. The only way to sex your plant for sure is to wait until there are clearly pistils or pollen sacks.

I'm 5 days into flowering and I see the little preflowers, but I can't tell if its male or female they look pear shaped and not on a stick, but I don't see any pistils. I'm starting to think it's a guy, but it has been smelling like bud since week three of veg. Is this possible or just my imagination? If it is possible than is the same true for males to smell like bud?

I have had one clear female preflower became a major hermy this plant was covered in male flowers. It was out of unknown seed. Very rare. I have had a lot of

experiance with the vigorous plants being female. I use to pick all the tall plants before, and most of the time they are male. However i have had many

starts when the majority of the taller plants ended up female and since then i wait till preflower.

im five months into growing i cant tell if its male or female its really sticky and smelly a friend of mine says it has a lot of trachmones

What strain is it?4*White widow
Is it Indica, Sativa or Hybrid? What percentages?Indica, Sativa
Is it in Veg or Flower stage?It is in veg for 6 mounth
If in Veg... For how long?16 hours light on 8 hours off
If in Flower stage... For how long?
Indoor or outdoor?Indoor
Soil or Hydro?soil
If soil... what is in your mix?30 perlit 10 vermicompost 40 potting soil 20 cocopeat
If soil... What size pot?19 litr
Size of light?2*MH 400 and 2*HPS400
Is it aircooled?no
Temp of Room/cab?30 c
RH of Room/cab?70
PH of media or res?Already:ph 6 . but now 6.5 by lime+wather
Any Pests ?already trips but now Clean
How often are you watering?per 2 day 1
Type and strength of ferts used?npk 20 20 20 of mounth3

Their pistil change from white to brown and this concerned me. There is a problem(in flowering)?
their pistils(old pistils) are brown and dry.

if you can not determine the sex of your plants after two months from lack of experiences, will male and female plant still produce buds in the same enviroment.question

Back
Top Bottom