Are the leaf tips curling up? Do the leaves have yellow margins?

Smokin Moose

Fallen Cannabis Warrior & Ex Moderator
Are the Leaf Tips Curlling Up, Do the Leaves have Yellow Margins or Tips with Green Veins

Magnesium (Mg) deficiency.
Magnesium deficiency will exhibit a yellowing (which may turn brown) and interveinal chlorosis beginning in the older leaves. The older leaves will be the first to develop interveinal chlorosis. Starting at leaf margin or tip and progressing inward between the veins. Notice how the veins remain somewhat green though as can be seen in figure 15.
Notice how in Figure 16 and 17 the leaves curl upwards like they're praying? They're praying for Mg! The tips may also twist.
This can be quickly resolved by watering 1 teaspoon Epsom salts/gallon of water. Until you can correct nutrient lockout, try foliar feeding. That way the plants get all the nitrogen and Mg they need. The plants can be foliar feed at ½ teaspoon/quart of Epsom salts (first powdered and dissolved in some hot water). When mixing up soil, use 2 teaspoon dolomite lime per gallon of soil.
If the starting water is above 200 ppm, that is pretty hard water, that will lock out mg with all of the calcium in the water. Either add a 1/4 teaspoon per gallon of epsom salts or lime (both will effectively reduce the lockout or invest into a reverse osmosis water filter.
Mg can get locked-up by too much Ca, Cl or ammonium nitrogen. Don't overdo Mg or you'll lock up other nutrients.
plant3mg.jpeg

Mg_Decifient_2.jpeg

plant1mg.jpeg

Magnesium (Mg) Toxicity
Magnesium toxicity is rare and not generally exhibited visibly. Extreme high levels will antagonize other ions in the nutrient solution.

I find mixing some epsom salts in the medium (soil) is a top idea to eliminate MG defecencies.

i am growing my plants indoors and I think i have the same problem with curling leaves, my plants leaves then dry up totally and drop off, just as tree leaves do in the autumn. If mine is the same as the bottom picture in this thread, what exactly is the cure for this problem, is it just a case of flushing out the soil with ordinary tap water?

Or is it flush the plant soil and then add Epsom salts? Thanks for any replies.

Sounds like the issue I'm having with two of my girls, this picture is not for the faint of heart, and I apologize for the plant abuse in advance:

Curling_WAY_UP.jpg

1 plant is doing fine, but I have two that are just about dead. Could this be the issue??

Should I get some ep salts or some peroxide, ty for any and all help!! I just want to save my girls!

Improve your soil mix with good quality compost that both retains the proper amount of water and assist with good drainage. It also acts as a ph buffer and supplies beneficial microbes and nutrients that are easily accessible to plants. Most trace elements that may be missing can be supplied by a supplemental application of seaweed extract and fish emulsion. Over watering is the biggest cause of all soil borne problems.Allowing the roots to be subjected to excessively dry soils can also weaken or kill plants either directly or by disease/difficiencies related to the stress/damages. Simply by attention to the basics that plants need to thrive you will enjoy success! Good organic soils or soilless mixes both well supplied with good compost can be good insurance of that, by providing all of the following: nutrients, trace elements, beneficial microbes and organic materials to improve tilth, drainage, ph buffering and moisture regulation/retention balance. Check your newly planted sprouts a couple times a day if possible and make sure your lights are sufficient and placed at the optimum height for the type above the plants. Seldom will you ever encounter a problem of any type if you do all these things! Occasionally, a few minor leaf effects may pop up late in the bloom cycle but nothing to worry about,just keep to sensible watering and managing the lights,temperature and ventilation and usually you will make a fine harvest! You also will have plants more resistant to insects but use care about taking plants outside and back inside or putting houseplants with them. At the early stage of your plant,shown in the picture, I suspect watering stress as the primary problem, wet too long to excessively dry cycles. When very young a few hours of dry stress can kill or severely weaken. Of course you can buy some good mixes but they are expensive and hard to find locally,also they never are as good as home made! Relax, make a compost bin, smoke a bowl and resolve to use your compost soil mix and a little seaweed extract next time. I attached some pictures of auto flowering plants grown only low tech under T5 lights organically using compost. Better results are possible with HID and a better grow room!
IMG_006370.JPG
IMG_006170.JPG
IMG_006170.JPG

This is exactly what is happening to me atm. I have dried some egg shells and banana peels in the oven and put them in a blender to get this.

I added about 3 tablespoons of Epsom salts to this mixture. I then sprinkled about 3 tablespoons of this on top of the soil and added another inch of potting mix on top. Watered in with 1/3 gallon of half strength nutes. Within 3 hours things looked worse. All the old fan leaves curled up and turned browny yellow.

I know Im having nute lockout as my tap water phs around 7.0 - 7.5. My remedy to fix that on the previous watering was to water with a ph of 5.5 (that was a bad idea). Things looked like crap after that so 2 days later I flushed with tap water that had been sitting. I really need to invest in a ph reader, Ive been using hot tub strips to check....this is what got me into this whole mess.

Now ferment that mix with some vinegar and make some amazing calmagphosPotassium+ supplement!

Ok....how much vinegar would you say? Couple tablespoons? A slurry?

Back
Top Bottom