What Organic Based Fertilizer Should I Use?

Smokin Moose

Fallen Cannabis Warrior & Ex Moderator
Botanicare Pure Blend Pro / Botanicare Pure Blend and Foxfarm Big Bloom, lines work excellent as complete nutrient sources, due to their vastly different formulations.

Botanicare Pure Blend Pro is mainly composed of fishmeal and sea bird guano. This product is well composted and ph stabilized. It comes in 2-1.5-4 for vegetative and 1.5-4-5 for flowering.

The regular Botanicare Pure Blend line is blood and bone meal, and earthworm castings based. It comes in 1-.5-1 for vegetative and .5-.5-1 for flowering.

Of course, both of these lines could be mixed to create transitional formulas.

Foxfarm Big Bloom is bat guano and earthworm castings based and offers a phosphorous boost in the final stages.

None of these products produce noticeable odor and they are all pH stable over the long term.

I reccomend a dry mix called Pant-tone. It mixes with your soil in the initial mix, and lasts throughout the grow to provide natural, organic trace nutrients, and is available at wallyworld for about 8 bucks for a bag that mixes to about 100 gallons of soil.

What do you think about Biobizz, Moose? I have been using it for a little while now and have been impressed with it so far but, I'm just curious about what you think of it.
From what I've read about it, it is derived from molasses and seems to be very mild and non burning.
I also like the fact that it has an exact weekly feeding schedule to fallow, which helps me to stay on track.

I haven't used the Biobizz myself, but if you find it works for you, stick with it.
As for molasses, I do not use or recommend it. My only additive to flowering is fresh squeezed orange juice and sea tea. Fruit sugars are wonderful (fructose) and sea tea stimulates and promotes/prolongs flowering.

Cool, thanks Moose. I have been quite impressed with it and I have found that it does not even require flushing before harvest.
This stuff was developed by the Dutch and is designed specifically for marijuana.
Maybe you should give it a try some time, so at least you can give an objective opinion when people ask about it. Just a thought, no sarcasm intended. I totally respect you too much to be that way towards you m8. :peace:

hi jimbo i am usin biobizz it seems good do you follow the feeding chart at full strenght iam only usin half as i was concend about burnin the girls i am usin grow,bloom&top max what u usin jimbo:peace:

Also usin liquid sea weed for folior feed every third day:peace:

I'm using the same things that you are except the foliar spray..I have been using the chart as well at full strength with no burn what so ever (recommended) I have even used it on timed sativas like Hawaii Maui Waui with no burn at all.
Biobizz seems to be very mild and MJ plants seem to love it...I know my plants seem to go crazy after a good feeding.
Biobizz is specifically designed for cannabis plants by the dutch, so they have my vote, as they are on the cutting edge of cannabis technology.

I haven't used the Biobizz myself, but if you find it works for you, stick with it.
As for molasses, I do not use or recommend it. My only additive to flowering is fresh squeezed orange juice and sea tea. Fruit sugars are wonderful (fructose) and sea tea stimulates and promotes/prolongs flowering.

So would you recommend liquid seaweed for the flowering stage only? I bought some liquid seaweed and not really sure when to start using it. Also, I read that it is not considered a 'real' fert so you think I should use more ferts in the flowering stage or would just seaweed be enough?

a good place to get some education on organics as well as a good reference catalog is from "groworganic.com"

they have good tables on organic certifications of a lot of fertilizers

and if your grow is big enough they can sell you a tanker truck of liquid kelp..... they are an organic farm supply place

they even have LED Lights and HPS and MH

Can I use the Miracle Grow that u mix with water and spritz onto the plants?? This is my first time and I wanna do it right with the resources that I have. Thanks a bunch!!
:tokin:

Can I use the Miracle Grow that u mix with water and spritz onto the plants?? This is my first time and I wanna do it right with the resources that I have. Thanks a bunch!!
:tokin:

hey everyone i have a couple of ? and i was wondering if someone can help me. im going to be starting on my cannabis plant soon and i wanted to know if i used miracle gro for nutrients with a 20-20-20 formula for veg and miracle gro 15-30-15 for flowering would my plants come out good or not? if someone can help me out i would relly appreciate it thanks :)

Miracle grow is NOT an organic fertilizer, additionally its full of salts which aren't that great for plants :) some will argue as to how great their plants do with miracle grow and some will argue how terrible their plants turned out with miracle grow.

I personally recommend Dr. Earth's line up of organic soils and nutrients. They're packed full of soil microbes and mycorrhiza, promoting healthy root growth and additional bio availability of soil nutrients.

They have an organic potting soil already packed full of all these wonderful things that also has some bat guano and many other beneficial things for growing ORGANICALLY!

Heres their recommended feeding schedule:

DR. EARTH LSP 258 KIT
INDOOR ORGANIC GARDEN
POTTING SOILS & NUTRIENTS FOR MAXIUM POTENCY, WEIGHT,
AND YIELD
PURPOSE: A proven success kit for 6 INDOOR 5-GALLON PLANTS for gardeners demanding the highest grade finished product with maximum yield as the main objective.

DESIGN: Easy to follow schedule takes all the guesswork out of what to do and when to do it. The LSP 258 kit has been proven to grow the healthiest plants with maximum weight gain, thick/tight buds, and sticky/oily flowers. Follow the week by week schedule for maximum results. No guesswork. No burning. Only maximum yields! Set your lights and harvest by your desired date.

CHECKLIST:
6 EMPTY 5-GALLON POTTING CONTAINERS
Two bags of Dr. EarthR 1.5 Cu. Ft. Home Grown potting soil or Pot of Gold potting soil.
One 4-pound bag of Dr. Earth Organic 2. Starter Fertilizer 2-4-2 (the start)
One 4-pound bag of Dr. Earth Organic 5. Tomato and Vegetable Fertilizer 5-7-3 (the middle)
One 4-pound bag of Dr. Earth Organic 8. Bud & Bloom Booster 4-10-7 (the finish)
One pint of Dr. Earth Liquid Solution. All Purpose Fertilizer 3-3-3 (the maintenance)
One pint of Dr. Earth Seaweed Concentrate 0-0-4.5 (the micro-maintenance)
One pint of Dr. Earth ProActive. Fruit & Vegetable Ready-to-use Insect Spray (the kill)

DIRECTIONS TO GET STARTED: Using the contents of the 2 bags of potting soil, fill all 6 containers until soil level is within 1 inch from the top of each container. Blend .25 cup of Dr. Earth Organic 2. Starter Fertilizer into the top 4 inches of the potting soil. Dig a small hole to transplant your cutting. The hole should be slightly larger than the size of your transplant. Make sure that you do not bury the transplant too deeply. The soil level of the transplant should be slightly higher than the soil level in the 5-gallon
container to avoid "damping off" and other fungal diseases. Water the container well. Wait 5 minutes. Then start your feeding schedule as prescribed below. Turn on your lights and get growing. Follow the light manufacturer's suggestions very carefully to send your plants into a strong vegetative cycle that will maximize "green growth" Many options are available. Any length of time between 18 to 24 hours is effective. Consult with your light manufacturer for best results.
Water again, using Dr. Earth Seaweed Concentrate diluted in 1 gallon of water, at a ratio of 2 tablespoons per gallon. Water all plants equally with the 1 gallon of seaweed solution water; apply equal amounts per plant until the 1 gallon of solution has been completely used.

NOTE: Insect spray should only be used directly on the soil, if you see fungus gnats or other insects. Do not spray the plants leaves, as this could cause burning under strong lights.
FEEDING SCHEDULE:
Week 1: Day 1- Thoroughly blend Dr. Earth Organic 2. starter fertilizer into the top 4 inches of soil in the containers, at the rate of .25 cup per each 5-gallon container. Water it in with a solution of Dr.Earth Seaweed Concentrate. (See instructions above.)

Week 2: Mix Dr. Earth Liquid Solution. at a rate of 4 tablespoons per gallon of water. Apply 2.5 cups of solution per 5-gallon plant.

Week 3: Mix .25 cup of Dr Earth Organic 2. Starter Fertilizer into the top 2 inches of soil in each 5-gallon container. Scratch in completely, but be
careful not to disturb the established root system. Water thoroughly.

Week 4: Mix 4 tablespoons of Dr. Earth Liquid solution and 2 tablespoons of Dr. Earth Seaweed Concentrate into 1 gallon of water. Apply 2.5 cups of solution per plant. After feeding, water lightly with pure water, to drive the nutrients down into the soil.

Week 5: Mix Dr. Earth Organic 5. Vegetable Fertilizer at a rate of .25 cup per five-gallon container mixed thoroughly into the top 2 inches of soil trying not to disturb the established root system. Water thoroughly.

Week 6: Mix both Dr. EarthR Liquid SolutionR and Dr. EarthR Seaweed Concentrate. Mix 4 tablespoons of Liquid Solution and 2 tablespoons of Seaweed Concentrate in 1 gallon of water. Apply 2.5 cups of solution per plant. After you feed, water lightly with pure water to drive the nutrients down into the soil.

Week 7: Thoroughly mix Dr. EarthR Organic 5. Vegetable Fertilizer into the top 2 inches of soil, at a rate of .25 cup per 5-gallon container, trying not to disturb the established root system. Water thoroughly.

Week 8: Mix 4 tablespoons of Dr. EarthR Liquid solutionR and 3 tablespoons of Dr. EarthR Seaweed Concentrate into 1 gallon of water. Apply 2 . cups of solution per plant. After feeding, water lightly with pure water, to drive the nutrients down into the soil.
Week 9: Thoroughly mix Dr. EarthR Organic 8. Bud & Bloom Booster into the top 2 inches of soil, at a rate of . cup per 5-gallon container, trying not to disturb the established root system. Water thoroughly.

Week 10: Mix 4 tablespoons of Dr. EarthR Liquid solutionR and 3 tablespoons of Dr. EarthR Seaweed Concentrate into 1 gallon of water. Apply 2.5 cups of solution per plant. After you feed, water lightly with pure water to drive the nutrients down into the soil.

Week 11: Mix Dr. EarthR Organic 8. Bud & Bloom Booster thoroughly into the top 2 inches of soil, at a rate of .25 cup per 5-gallon container, trying not to disturb the established root system. Water well.

Week 12 UNTIL HARVEST: Use pure water only to flush all of the nutrients from the soil. It is important to understand that hundreds of different of varieties of plants are available to grow and harvest. Most plants have different maturity dates, for this reason we recommend 11 weeks of feeding at the minimum, if the variety of plant you choose to grow requires a long flowering period, then you may keep feeding with Dr. Earth Liquid Solution at a rate 2 tablespoons mixed into 1 gallon of water then applied at a rate of 2.5 cups of solution per plant until 2 weeks before harvest. Flushing the nutrients from the soil 2 weeks prior to harvest will help to maximize your plants¡¦ potency.

IMPORTANT NOTES:
FOR MAXIUM RESULTS, START EACH NEW CROP BY DISCARDING THE USED SOIL AND REFILLING POTS WITH FRESH DR. EARTHR POTTING SOILS AS CALLED FOR ABOVE.

APPLY MINIUMUM AMOUNTS OF WATER, ONLY ENOUPH TO KEEP THE SOIL MOIST AND ALLOWING IT TO DRY BETWEEN WATERING.

NO TWO PLANTS ARE ALIKE; THE ACTUAL DAY OF HARVEST CAN VARY BETWEEN 14 TO 20 WEEKS FROM THE TIME A CUTTING WAS TRANSPALANTED INTO THE SOIL. DIFFERENT VARIETYS MATURE AT DIFFERENT RATES.

IN MOST CASES, 16 WEEKS IS AN AVERAGE TIME FRAME TO GROW HEALTHY AND MATURE PLANTS.

KNOW THE VARIETY YOU ARE GROWING AND LOOK FOR SIGNS OF MATURITY.

ALWAYS LET THE SOIL DRY COMPLETELY BEFORE YOU HARVEST!
Best of health to you,
Milo Shammas

There's a person who has a plan... good post dtabbler :)

I didn't read the whole thing but, if the soil is organic, why would you not just use it again?

Also, I don't use it now but... back in the day, I grew thousands of killer plants w/miracle grow.
These days, I run the Earth Juice line of organics!

plants deplete soils of minerals, nutrients, and everything else. Just because a soil is organic doesn't mean it will last forever. Do you smoke your organic herbs ashes? after all if it's organic why can't you just use it again??

and as I said, plenty of people have excellent luck growing with miracle grow, use whatever fertilizer you wish, but it's not an organic fertilizer by any means (trying to explain that since there were some questions about it in the "organic" fertilizer thread)

personally, i'll only use organic nutrients on ALL my plants, veggies, flowers, "flowers" etc. Call me a snob, or a hippie whatever, its just how I do what I do ;)

Did I say something to put you on the defensive? I only asked about the soil so I could try and learn something, not attack your methods/opinions... :Namaste:

Like I said BACK IN THE DAY I USED MG.. I wasn't advocating for it... you see that I use EJ now. 25 or more years ago, it was a different ball game.

hmm, smoke the ashes, :scratchinghead:... NO, but I would use it in the soil w/no hesitations.

Farmer's don't strip their topsoil after a harvest - or even a few - in fact their soil is their most precious commodity, so why should it be different for indoor/outdoor gardening as long as proper care is taken to build healthy soil?

I have been using my organic soil for multiple harvests and have never had anything but healthy harvests... just look at my threads for proof.

I know of many top shelf organic growers who use the same soil many times. That doesn't mean it will "last forever" as you so amply overstate.

I didn't say you wouldn't want to sweeten it up, like planting a rich clover when you are done for the Summer... till it in next season and you have a great supply of nitrogen... that's just an example!

Maybe if I were doing 2 or 3 plants I could afford to just throw it away... I have invested thousands into my soil and I find it best for me to make it work multiple times... I haven't found the end of the line yet!

I'm sure you are the more knowledgeable "organic" grower... I was only trying to learn something.... forgive me!

None of us knows more than all of us :Namaste:

plants deplete soils of minerals, nutrients, and everything else. Just because a soil is organic doesn't mean it will last forever. Do you smoke your organic herbs ashes? after all if it's organic why can't you just use it again??

and as I said, plenty of people have excellent luck growing with miracle grow, use whatever fertilizer you wish, but it's not an organic fertilizer by any means (trying to explain that since there were some questions about it in the "organic" fertilizer thread)

personally, i'll only use organic nutrients on ALL my plants, veggies, flowers, "flowers" etc. Call me a snob, or a hippie whatever, its just how I do what I do ;)

No defense from me, the info I put down was passed along to me from the soil "manufacturer" so I'm certain he would see it beneficial to replace your soil after every harvest.

Additionally being from a farming area most farmers utilize crop rotations and also add large amounts of harsh chemicals to their fields to increase yields (ever hear of anhydrous ammonia?)

any soil I use in pots is re-used into my vegetable garden, then tilled in with all my vegetable plant remains at the end of the year, which refreshes the organic content of the soil. Most people arent going to fill their pots with fresh compost and worms to work it into the soil, nor is the average grower going to plant any form of legume to refresh the nitrogen in the soil (clover, beans, or even the attractive lupins!) therefore making it the most logical to replace the soil frequently.

As for MG, I don't, won't, and ain't gonna use it myself :) glad you had luck with it, I've talked to others that praise its glory. Good for them :) just thought I'd mention it's ~not~ an organic fertilizer as several previous posters were asking about it!

Lastly, I would never consider myself a more "knowledgable" organic grower, I've been growing organically for quite some time, but my canna growing experience is minimal, I've been in the horticultural field for 10+ years and have helped many a canna grower friend of mine, but personally the risk where I live hasn't made it a worthwhile endeavor for me.

Peace and Karma~

Back
Top Bottom