What is the best type of water to start with?

Smokin Moose

Fallen Cannabis Warrior & Ex Moderator
Most growers will have no problems using tap water. You can have the tap water analyzed to determine if it will give you problems or you can buy a good filter and start with a totally clean slate.

The most common problems with tap water will be:

pH -- usually caused by lime or calcium in the groundwater supply

high parts per million (lots of dissolved junk in it) -- yum, city water. Certain elements dissolved in the tap water may cause lockups and then deficiencies if you are using chemical fertilizers.

chloramine -- used in wastewater treatment

The best filter to use is called Reverse-Osmosis. Under-the-sink models can be purchased at any home improvement store for around US$200. They will require cleaning and filter replacement around once a year, depending on how many gallons you put through it. The typical model can clean 50 gallons of tap water down to 0 ppm and 7 pH daily.

** The downside to R/O is the amount of waste water it produces in the process. This loss to drain can be cut by up to 85% with the addition of a 'permeate pump' to the R/O system, it is an easy installation that should require no tools in most cases. Permeate pumps require no electricity and can be purchased online or at your local water filter supply company.

Permeate pumps are the newest breakthrough in Reverse Osmosis System Technology. Designed to operate as a non-electrical energy recovery device, the Permeate Pump uses the available energy from the brine (waste water out of the RO Unit) water after the flow restrictor to essentially force purified water into the RO Storage Tank. The permeate Pump eliminates the need for hydraulic shut-off valves and can be used for replacing booster pumps in well water applications. The Permeate Pump advanced technology is capable of bringing the tank up to incoming water pressure and shutting the RO System down when the Storage Tank reaches full capacity.

Distilled water is also good to use. Mountain or spring water will not be 0 ppm as it will have dissolved minerals. Using cheap home filters like Brita pitchers is pointless as they do little to clean the water.

Note: it's not advisable to use plain R/O water in a hydroponic medium for flushing. The shock of 0 ppm will start leaching nutrients from the roots. Clearing should be done around 100 ppm instead.

** Editors note:
Additional information about permeate pumps was contributed by: Ono Nadagin

I use a pure water filter to filter tap water for drinking. This is also what I use to water my plants... Are you saying that this does me no good and I should stop wasting water that I pay to filter? Thanks:smokin:

I'm using straight water from the tap> my source is from a mountain spring direct> indoors I let the water jugs sit overnight to acclimate to room temp. Outdoors> turn on the hose>roll a fatty and enjoy the breeze> this is under soil conditions>

I had to start buying jugs of water of water from the store because of the water that I get from my house, you have to add salt to a water softner. I also now use a tds tester a well as a ph testerI check the house water with the tds tester and it read what they add to the water it read 440 and anything over 330 is concidered high and the ph was 7 which is to high. The water from the store the tds 20 the ph 7.

I use RO water only. I used tap my first grow and battled all sorts of issues. Not sure if they were directly related to hard water but I now have almost no issues.

3 things "I" consider to be essential tools of growing:

Digital pH meter
TDS/EC/PPM meter
RO Water Filter

Even if you know your tap water TDS value you cannot be sure what minerals make up those parts (unless you get it analyzed). I like to start with a clean slate and know exactly what I'm giving my plants this way I have the power to tweak anything I may need to.

I am following McBudz advice asap financially with regards to the water I give my plants. I originally went without a ph tester and found out weeks later I was giving them 8.7 ph. I now use leftout tap water with correct ph and my plants are healthy. Live and learn .

Hey I have well water that runs through a water softener....I this ok to use????

Hey I have well water that runs through a water softener....I this ok to use????

Sure. Do you know what the PPM/EC/TDS value of it is coming out of the softenter?

Do you kow fo the softener removes chlorine as well? Check with the mfgr. If not then let the water sit out for a day or more before use.

Sure. Do you know what the PPM/EC/TDS value of it is coming out of the softenter?

Do you kow fo the softener removes chlorine as well? Check with the mfgr. If not then let the water sit out for a day or more before use.

no i dont know what the ppm ect are but i really doubt there is any chlorine in it as its 100 ft down in the ground also it was extremely hard before we put the softener on..........also I fill up bottles and let them sit for a long time and get to room temp before i use them. maybe I should get a PH tester and see what the PH is just for kicks!

no i dont know what the ppm ect are but i really doubt there is any chlorine in it as its 100 ft down in the ground also it was extremely hard before we put the softener on..........also I fill up bottles and let them sit for a long time and get to room temp before i use them. maybe I should get a PH tester and see what the PH is just for kicks!

Oh sorry missed the fact it is well water.. You should def be fine..

yes def get a pH meter.. look for PH600 by milwaukee great cheap digi meter. You shouldn't be growing without one. Pick u a tds/ec meter too. They are fairly cheap as well

even if you do mind spending a little money a pH meter is definitely worth it, i picked up a pH/TDS meter for my aero setup and would be screwed without it, i have a few in soil and when i tested them i had to run out to the store for some pH up, i couldnt believe how acidic they were (5.5) now i just mix up my nutes and adjust the pH before i water, they are growing healthier and stems are putting on a lot more girth... with the increased yield the meter has already paid for itself

Thanks for the advice guys I really appreciate it.....will def get a meter soon, my plants are really looking good and healthy tho with a lot of new growth at every branch....I think they are going to get really bushy! cant wait to transplant them into bigger pots with the bat guanno soil and put them under the t-5, 6 tube light panel i ordered with grow and bloom tubes in it....:ganjamon: will post more pictures then.

Back
Top Bottom