How do I start seeds for DWC bubblers?

Smokin Moose

Fallen Cannabis Warrior & Ex Moderator
Start with standard rockwool seedling cubes. Soak them in pH adjusted RO Water, and then get your seeds ready. You can germinate them in paper towels, gauze, cheesecloth, or just do like me, and not fool with all that-- just poke the seed in the rockwool cube where the hole is pre-made. If you find that's too big for your seeds, turn the cube over and poke a smaller hole.

When you think your cubes have soaked up enough water, take them outside, or to the bathtub, and holding it loosely, give them 2 or 3 hardy shakes. (DO NOT SQUEEZE OUT!) This will release LOTS of water from the cube, thus making air pockets within the cube itself. These air pockets are very important for seedlings and clones. Also, by doing that, you keep your seed from soaking to death...too much moisture will kill the seedlings.

When you get the most of the water out, pick the seeds you want to grow and drop them in the hole about 1/4"-1/2" down. Carefuly squeeze the hole closed and place in a humidity dome. Light isn't all that important until the seed sprouts, however its very important to keep the temps around 80*f in your grow area. Warmth will speed up the process considerably as will a few drops of Superthrive per gallon of water.

Within 4 to 7 days (up to 14..) you should see seedlings poking out of the cube-- this is where I really watch whats happening as the TAP ROOT will grow faster than the plant itself. When this occurs, I get them ready to move to a 2 gallon rooter DWC bucket with 3" net pot holes. I will take the seedling, and place it in a 3" netpot with a few rocks on the bottom, as to support the cube, and leave plenty of space for the roots to grow without letting them lay on the bottom of the humidity dome's tray. I try to suspend the roots as long as they are in the dome. When I feel they are old enough (when there are a FEW small roots poking out of the RW cube) I will place the 3" pots with the seedlings in them, in the rooter bucket for about a week sometimes two if I am using fluorescents for vegging.

In that time, I will have a 5 gallon bucket ready, and I will carefuly try to weave as many of the roots thru the holes of a 6" net pot, and like with the 3"er, I will place a small amout of rock on the bottom of the pot to suspend the roots, and allow ample space for more roots. I place the 3" pot into the 6" pot and then fill up with rocks, finally covering the 3" pot (kind of like a BOG double pot method for soil) and placing that into the lid of the 5 gallon bucket.

:thumb:
This is exactly the info I've been looking for!
Unfortunately I already germinated my seeds then placed them in rockwool
(24 hrs now) and the seeds are elevating out of holes (i hard a hard time getting them into holes cause they had sprouted) I'm hoping I haven't screwed the pooch...Do you have any pics of the phases you go through? Would be greatly appreciated!

Great post!...

...but If I wanted to germinate and start seedlings in something other than rockwool, so I can eventually transplant to a mediumless DWC or aeroponic system(stem supported by neoprene collars), what would you suggest?

Right now it would seem I should germinate in vermiculite until it grows big enough to go straight into the collars? But I have no idea when it would be ready enough to make that transplant, or if vermiculite is even the way to go in this scenario?

Your thoughts greatly appreciated!

Don't use straight vermiculite, IMHO. It's not the best for a plant that likes airy, well-drained soil. You can use straight perlite - although it won't hold enough water - in a Styrofoam cup and use another cup around the first one for ~15 minutes after you water it. Or play around mixing perlite and vermiculite together until you find a mix that "feels right" as far as water-holding ability goes.

When you're ready to transplant to their homes, a razor blade will slice right through the cup which minimizes possible root damage from having to "encourage" the plant to come out. And GENTLY swishing the roots in a room-temperature bowl of non-chlorinated water is an easy way to get the majority of the perlite/vermiculite off.

Sweetgreen said:
But I have no idea when it would be ready enough to make that transplant

Need to have roots that will reach the nutrients. Having more doesn't hurt.

Hello, I already started my first hydroponic grow and my question is my roots are very long on most of the 8 plants. I need to transplant them from the 3" net pots to the 6" net pots..... hopefully without killing any of my babies. My question is since the roots grow in all directions out of the 3" pot is it ok to place these pots directly into the 6" pots which are going into 5 gal. buckets? Or would it be better to place them in soil? I don't want to kill these of course. They've only been growing a total of 3 weeks , 2 weeks in 8 pot hydro system. Now I want to put them all in their own individual 5 gal containers and any help would be great. My new system will be here tomorrow so I want to do this asap. Thanks, T

I plan on doing a similar thing soon.

I think your question is answered in the last paragraph of the first post.

"place the 3" pot into the 6" pot and then fill up with rocks"

I plan on doing a similar thing soon.

I think your question is answered in the last paragraph of the first post.

"place the 3" pot into the 6" pot and then fill up with rocks"

My only concern is the roots on some of these babies are like 1' long or more. It's like a ball or knot of roots. As long as crunching the roots don't affect the plant. I just need some reassurance. My new pots and hydro system will be delivered tomorrow. I was even thinking of cutting out some of the bottom of the 6" pot so the main ball of roots goes through unobstructed? What do you guys think?

I'm still in the parts collecting phase of my first grow, but after reading your question I added to my list a bunch of 3" net pots because I decided I was going to cut them away before sticking the clones in the 6" net pots. Like you, I'm curious to see what the experienced growers here say.

How long should it take to see your first roots poking out of your net pot? I'm 2 weeks in Sunday and I'm not seeing any, Is that normal? First time grower by the way. Having a blast so far.

How long should it take to see your first roots poking out of your net pot? I'm 2 weeks in Sunday and I'm not seeing any, Is that normal? First time grower by the way. Having a blast so far.

Numerous factors come into play here. Too many to give a straight answer really.

1. A 3" netpot is tons smaller than a 6-8" netpot lid in a 5 gal bucket. Hence much further distance to travel to get into the res.
2. How were they germinated? What I mean is did you germ and put into like a root riot cube, then put into a tray until roots came through the cube? If so how long were they outside the cube? Or did you germinate and drop right into bucket?
3. How much if any, drip is going on to seedling?
4. Do you have netpot partially into water and vigorous air bubbling thus some "light spray" just reaching the roots encouraging roots to reach more and grow long fast?

Take a look at all these things in general and you might find what you need to get them roots moving quickly.

Thanks Bassman59, just had my first root show through the netpot (just checked), it was germinated between paper towels then put into a rockwool cube. I have the netpot partially submersed in water with a bubbler. I have three cfls on her total. (1) 125 watt cfl and (2) 26watt (100 watt equivelent). I have her on a light cycle of 18/6. As well as a small fan giving her a breeze for her leaves to play in. I'm keeping my ph around 6.0 and using 1/4 nutes on her (Nute Brand- General hydroponics). wish I had a camera to show her

No nutes till 3-4 nodes at least. Not counting those two little ones when the seed hat falls off

Edit: Especially if you're using tap water.

Once they're in the dwc, they should be under light. Basically, anytime after germination and moving to grow.

I have my in a dome with 2 foot 4 light t5 setup in rockwell how long should i wait to move them to the dwc under my leds
you can transfer them as long as there are leaves coming out...and make sure the water level is at least touching the rockwool...till the roots come out...then you can drop the water level to start of roots..be sure to cover the rockwool under light...or.it will get alge....

Sent from my SM-G360V using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Back
Top Bottom