When should I take clones from my plants?

Smokin Moose

Fallen Cannabis Warrior & Ex Moderator
There are a couple of schools of thought on this one. Firstly there are those who clone early to determine the sex of their plants and then there are those who wait until the donor plant is sexed before they clone.

If you subscribe to the first method then grow the plant vegetatively until it has at least five internodes before you take a clone. Make sure you label the clone the same as the donor plant to avoid confusion.

The second method requires you to take less cuttings as you already know the sex of the plant but it will be slower as the plant has already entered the early stages of flowering and any clones taken will first have to root and then secondly revert back to vegetative growth.

The bottom line is clone early and often to ensure you preserve the genetic line you are happy with.

Here is a thought from another Edge member:

Contributed by Mzzmo

keep the clones for second harvest

Take clones from the ladies, after the seedlings are sex determined(female), bud out the ladies, and while this is happening, the clones will grow and be tall enough for the second cycle, clone from those just before you induce flowering.

ive took clones and put them under the light in a propergater and its been like this for about 3-4 weeks and they still aint rooted can any 1 help.

ive took clones and put them under the light in a propergater and its been like this for about 3-4 weeks and they still aint rooted can any 1 help.
How do you know they didn't start rooting I remember living my wife in charge for a week and it same it didn't star to grow yet and when I came back the clone was 1 inches and 1/2 allot of little branch I was amaze and it was time to replant in a one gallon pot for a month and 1/2 and after put them in a 5 gallon this way easier to control the water on the plant for me. Did you give them low light 1000 lumens and allot of humidity. How did you build the little green room with saran wrap or any other way. What did you use for rooting powder before to clone. I hope that will be help full wish to see a picture of your set up of cloning. My set up is 99-cent store and 90% of my clone mature.:ganjamon:Now I am going for a :bong: were is the smilies vapor bros

This is my fifth cloning from a plant I been using since last summer. I alway's use low ligth for at less 15 to 25 day's it's all about the clone to decide when their ready. I use 500 watt construction ligth because they have UVB better for potency and I put the ligth 4 to 5 feet above my clone and test the ligth for 1000. I have 80 to 90% of them who grow healthy.

Can some one explain me what kind of ligth is CFL's and HPS.

In Jorge Cervantes' book "Marijuana grow basics - THE EASY GUIDE FOR CANNABIS AFICIONADOS" he suggests to take clones during the third week of flowering

in the book it says "Take clones now to pre-grow them for the next 8-week crop"

I am going to try and take clones from my mother who is in her third week of flowering like tomorrow so I'll let everyone know how that goes later...

Well I hope this helps someone :thumb:

:peacetwo:

Can you put the cutting under a HPS or is it better start them on CFL's first?

This passage is from Jorge Cervantes' book "Marijuana growing basics - THE EASY GUIDE FOR CANNABIS AFICIONADOS" and I believe it will answer your question very well

- "Give clones 18-24 hours of fluorescent light. Place clones four to six inches below single or duel fluorescent tubes. Cool white fluorescents (or a combination of warm and cool white) are excellent for rooting. If clones must be placed under an HID, set them on the perimeter of the garden so they receive less intense light; or shade them with a cloth or screen. Place clones four to six feet (1.2-1.8m) below a 400-1000-watt metal halide bulb."

I hope this is helpful... I just got this book over the weekend and it is amazing
I would recommend it to any noobs

:peacetwo:

i'm new to this growing. i hear a lot of cloning and have an idea. how and where do you get clones and at what stage in a plant. i would like to see a pic if possible.

As long as you have vegataion you can clone.I'm sure the 2 month thing was for sexing the plant becouse at 4-6 weeks you dont know what your plants are.They wont be any faster or slower to root and they will be as healty as the moms they are from.

Back
Top Bottom