How do I take multiple clones from the whole branch?

Smokin Moose

Fallen Cannabis Warrior & Ex Moderator
Introduction
Most folks (including me) take only main growing tips as cuttings, but occasions arise when you want to preserve the maximum number of growing tips on the mother plant. Sometimes it is better to remove only one complete branch and make it into multiple clones. Occasionally, while training a plant, you will break off a branch. Here's a way to turn that branch into multiple clones.

Just as an aside, I discovered this technique when my knife slipped, and I cut across a node instead of trimming off the leaf and secondary growing tip at that node. I was surprised when the bottom half rooted faster than the main growing tip.

According to several sources, cuttings taken from below the main growing tip will usually root faster (and in my observation better) due to lower nitrogen levels and higher carbohydrate levels. I also find the stiffer woody stems from lower on a branch easier to deal with than soft green ones near the tip.

The smaller secondary growing tips will take a bit longer to develop into full fledged plants, but they will have a great set of roots to do it with.

Technique
Cut off the main growing tip by making a 45 degree cut through the main stem just above a node and prepare it as you normally would.

Cut up the remainder of the branch by making a succession of cuts through the nodes at 45 degree angles. You will end up with a bunch of short stems with a 45 degree cut at the top and the bottom, and a leaf and growing tip near the upper edge of the top cut.

If the cutting is too long to fit entirely inside your cloning medium, trim the bottom end of the cutting.

Holding the cutting by the leaf stem (petiole), scrape away some of the outer layer of the stem tissue to expose some phloem (the white tissue underneath). Dip the whole stem into your cloning gel or rooting hormone, be sure to cover both the bottom and the top cuts. Avoid getting any on the growing tip.

Insert the stem into the cloning medium, you may need to open up the hole in the rockwool or latex plug a bit first.

Use a sterile tool (a chopstick, q-tip stem, etc) to push on the top of the stem to push it inside the cloning medium. The leaf may tilt up as the stem goes inside the medium.

Anyone have pics of this? Are we talking about having a long cutting diced into several pieces like cutting a long rope into smaller sections?

Thanks!

MU

I see the advice about scraping the stem prior to appling the cloning aid (gel, or whatever) . In my admitedly brief experience, the only failures I have had were when i did this. Now i just dip and plant. 100% sucess and into promix bx btw.

I have cloned every way possible and found that as long as you treat it like a surgical proceedure and incubation sucess is 100%

They're called Stem cuttings as opposed to Tip cuttings.
If there is a dormant lateral bud of a leaf, or even a leaf stalk with some expanding leaves, a mature leaf and a new terminal arising from the AXIL, and the stem isn't excessively woody, you can section a stem into segments and prepare the stem cuttings, sticking the tip cutting separately. It will need more humidity, but may finish first.

Makz2

420-magazine-mobile371367942.jpg
this is how I clone multiple times from one branch.

Introduction
Most folks (including me) take only main growing tips as cuttings, but occasions arise when you want to preserve the maximum number of growing tips on the mother plant. Sometimes it is better to remove only one complete branch and make it into multiple clones. Occasionally, while training a plant, you will break off a branch. Here's a way to turn that branch into multiple clones.

Just as an aside, I discovered this technique when my knife slipped, and I cut across a node instead of trimming off the leaf and secondary growing tip at that node. I was surprised when the bottom half rooted faster than the main growing tip.

According to several sources, cuttings taken from below the main growing tip will usually root faster (and in my observation better) due to lower nitrogen levels and higher carbohydrate levels. I also find the stiffer woody stems from lower on a branch easier to deal with than soft green ones near the tip.

The smaller secondary growing tips will take a bit longer to develop into full fledged plants, but they will have a great set of roots to do it with.

Technique
Cut off the main growing tip by making a 45 degree cut through the main stem just above a node and prepare it as you normally would.

Cut up the remainder of the branch by making a succession of cuts through the nodes at 45 degree angles. You will end up with a bunch of short stems with a 45 degree cut at the top and the bottom, and a leaf and growing tip near the upper edge of the top cut.

If the cutting is too long to fit entirely inside your cloning medium, trim the bottom end of the cutting.

Holding the cutting by the leaf stem (petiole), scrape away some of the outer layer of the stem tissue to expose some phloem (the white tissue underneath). Dip the whole stem into your cloning gel or rooting hormone, be sure to cover both the bottom and the top cuts. Avoid getting any on the growing tip.

Insert the stem into the cloning medium, you may need to open up the hole in the rockwool or latex plug a bit first.

Use a sterile tool (a chopstick, q-tip stem, etc) to push on the top of the stem to push it inside the cloning medium. The leaf may tilt up as the stem goes inside the medium.
How about taking multiple stems from a mother plant? Can we take multiple cuttings from the same mother plant at a time or is it better to take a break between cuttings?

Yes, my last big mother plant was capable of giving me 18 cuttings at a time, without breaking a sweat. Any sub branch that has at least 3 nodes on it is fair game.
This is what I am going to do then. I have done many mistakes to my first grow, so I have decided to take as many clones from my first grow to save space and effort. I have been learning the basics till I have planted a seed into one of my mothers pots in late February. I haven't topped, give her enough light etc. I will fix these in the clones.

Yes, my last big mother plant was capable of giving me 18 cuttings at a time, without breaking a sweat. Any sub branch that has at least 3 nodes on it is fair game.
i havet two moms going, i "quadlined" or what ever you call it and the Bubba Hash mom has gotten wider and wider andi keep inserting bamboo poles and tyjng her down, little shoots appear, i cut them off and clone away. Now i have romulan Grapefruit that leans sativa and i did the same with her.
i never thought i would get cloning down, now i have way tooma ny cuts for my room.

i havet two moms going, i "quadlined" or what ever you call it and the Bubba Hash mom has gotten wider and wider andi keep inserting bamboo poles and tyjng her down, little shoots appear, i cut them off and clone away. Now i have romulan Grapefruit that leans sativa and i did the same with her.
i never thought i would get cloning down, now i have way tooma ny cuts for my room.
That’s a good problem to have lol. The last few times I cloned, I took 10 when I needed 6, and ended up with all 10. Its a fairly simple process once you have the details and environment dialed in. I give my extras away to lucky friends or turn them into houseplants.

i had no real succes until this year. i decided to start by keeping a mom i liked.
Then i began by feeding her bloom nutes the last week of bloom, bringing the lights up fRom 12 to 13 hours per day. after cutting the buds off, (I should have left a few) i began by cutting the plant way back then putting her in 20 hours light. Slowly she began tocome back to life.
After this i started tying her limbs down.
once i got small shoots vertically coming fromthe horizontal branches i cut thise and put in peat pots and under low light. i kept them wet for rhe first three days and undera dome. fourth day took domw off halfa day. aizth day took off the dome. you have to let them dry out little then al ittle more aa they gain strength. after about ten days to two weeks they will root and you can out in another a slightly lrger container.

Back
Top Bottom