Why are my clones wilting?

Smokin Moose

Fallen Cannabis Warrior & Ex Moderator
Make sure they're firmly seated in the medium. If they are "too firmly" seated, you may have bent or broken the stem and stopped water uptake.

Make sure that the lights aren't too bright, fluoros are all that's needed. Next time, an anti-transpirant spray will greatly reduce wilting-- they form a waxy barrier that keeps water inside the cutting.

The cuttings may be too large with too much leaf mass. You can trim off the half of the fan leaves to reduce area or take smaller cuttings. See the cloning article or aero-cloner instructions for photos of properly sized cuttings and a way to clone without wilt.

Also monitor closely the ambient air temperature as anything above 80 is starting to get too hot and this will serve to accelerate both transpiration and the drying out of your medium.

You would Cut the leaves at the ends to Help , if they are wilted?

PH on clones is higher then plants need to in the 6.8 ranger.also you need to gel your cutting as soon as you make them to stop Embolism or air thats stops the clone from getting any nutes.temp need to be 75 to 78.light need to be around the 150 to 200 watt floro range.you need a good cloning solution oliva or your choice and keep them wet 24/7 lights on 24/7.clones can be tricky but once you are on your game its not a problem.I don't cut my leaves and i don't mist my clones.But thats me i think outside the box.If they tell me thats how its done ill look for a better way.lucky its been working so far lol.

Technically it will always be considered a clone, because that's just what it is. A genetic replica of its parent or clone. It doesn't come from seed. Now I stop calling cuttings "cuttings", once they root. Hope this answers the question Baja.

Not to get too technical, but Im starved for info, and Im trying to make this rocket science!!

When you say "root", are you referring to the root from the clone plug? Or roots from the media they are in, in my case, its in 6 inch rockwool cubes, I now have three with roots through the rockwool.

Not to get too technical, but Im starved for info, and Im trying to make this rocket science!!

When you say "root", are you referring to the root from the clone plug? Or roots from the media they are in, in my case, its in 6 inch rockwool cubes, I now have three with roots through the rockwool.

when they say "root" its from the Cutting. apparently you have "ROOTED" clones and they need to be transplanted to your desired grow medium.

Roots emerging form the bottom or side of propagation media. Or simply at the 1st site of new growth on clones placed directly into growing media (ie soil, coco, perilite, etc) is what I was speaking of. Now they are plants, no longer cuttings. THey are still and always will be clones. Hope I cleared up any confusion.

maybe I shoulda shared too....

I mist the cubes (rockwool) if they get dry, and mist the inside of the dome with super-thrive.. (2drops per liter), and a silica supplement at 1/4 of the lowest recommended dose. starting of course with RO water.

Time varies with strain... fastest is 5-7 days slowest is 2 to 3 weeks. Just looking to of course improve through suggestions etc.

low humidity is why they are wilting. in high humidity a wilting cutting will perk up within hours and not wilt. that be like at least 80% humidity yo.

here is what I have used quite succesfully but I am going to be building a bubble cloner w/ rubbermaid and use upside down rubber maid to get the humidity up. get one from the sponsors - although anything that follows the principle of this will work. this is a 7 inch Mondi dome for 10x20 inch tray

I spray the inside with plan water and use rapid rooter tray with a weak liquefied sea kelp tonic

o.k., that covers the whys, but what to do about it? yesterday i took two cuts from the same plant. they were right across from each other, cut with the same blade and using the same soil, same size cuts with the same everything yet this morning one is robust and happy looking, the other is on death's door. how about first aid? j

if mine are wilting over, i prop them up on a side or with a bamboo stick mist the dome heavily and make sure the cubes arent soaked. but as we all know, it can be a one of a million things.

I&i

I got to agree with the humidity. Just remove the humidity dome from your clones for a couple hours and watch all your clones wilt away. Back on in time and they perk right up.

Back
Top Bottom