Mesh Sizing and Kief Screening

Smokin Moose

Fallen Cannabis Warrior & Ex Moderator
MICRON VS LPI Mesh sizing
The US and some other countries use the " lines per inch " or L.P.I. method of identifying mesh, which is a measure of how many strands contained within one linear inch of the mesh. 200 LPI mesh will have smaller hole size openings compared to 100 LPI because there are twice as many lines of fiber per inch.

This LPI method does not take into account the fact that different mesh have strands that vary in thickness, which alter the hole size opening.

The rest of the world uses the metric measurement system for mesh sizing. The
"micron" - measures the inside width measurement of each mesh hole opening. This is a far more accurate method for determining the mesh size openings.

ex. "200 micron mesh" has larger mesh openings compared to a "100 micron" mesh.

Comparison of mesh measurements
L.P.I. / Micron
83 / 200
110 / 150
137 / 120

Approximate Micron mesh sizes for hashing

Passive trichcome collection -
Use 150 ~ 160 micron mesh ( 100 ~ 110 LPI )

Active flat screen -
Use 140 ~ 120 micron mesh ( 115 ~ 137 LPI )

Ice hash extraction -
See Bubble-man's site for full details about multi-bag ice hash extraction.

Screening with mesh
Prior to screening ....grind up bud and resiny leaf to jay rolling consistency size, but don't cut up the herb too small.

If you are using a stash-box with an inner mesh screen cover..... turn the inner cover upside down, half fill with ground-up bud, fit the mesh frame snuggly on the inner cover, turn it over, place back in the stashbox and agitate it (or just hold the inner cover, the screen frame and the glass together) and do the horizontal circular shake thing for a few minutes.

If you are not using a box be careful of draughts as the light resin can and will fly away with the slightest wind when actively screening.

Kif quality
Good advice is to stop every few minutes and set the powder aside in separate piles - taste and strength-test each pile. You should find that quality drops as each subsequent pile has a higher % of broken up veg matter and less % of resin heads.

I generally do a side-to-side shuffle for less than 2 minutes with a half oz of bud that gives me a small amount of sticky resin.

I stop when the kif does not easily form into a shape and stay there with a little thumb and palm pressure

Back
Top Bottom