What is the Perpetual Harvest Propagation Method?

Smokin Moose

Fallen Cannabis Warrior & Ex Moderator
A bowl formation is definitely part of it..
The key of course is to have a separate veg and flowering chamber going at the same time.. Each time a plant is harvested it gets replaced with a clone from the veg room - so that the bud chamber's always filled to capacity.. Eventually, as you learn the flowering times and cloning times of your strains, you can close in on the goal of 100% occupancy (with no extra clones laying around and no place to put them).. This does take a little calculating, but once done you can get on a fairly precise schedule to where you're picking your buds like clockwork.. It's the ideal setup for growing multiple strains with different flowering times..

Hydro/Soil Systems:
Since the plants will be of varying sizes, you'll want a hydro or soil system that's conducive to moving them around under the lights - to keep them in that bowl formation (or, if you're vegging under fluoros, in a staircase arrangement.. with the lights hanging diagonally).. You want it to be easy to position the plants wherever you want in the chamber, plus be able take them to the next chamber.. Good systems include ebb/flo and drip, and also soil/pots.. Systems with fixed plant spacing (aero and nft tubes) and/or systems where the roots intertwine may prove difficult in an ever-changing perp-harvest setup..

so i have a small tent with 15 plants in it now. when they are done floweing i want to start a perpetual harvest. i am assuming ill have to make little tables for the plats that are of differnt sizes so that they will all be the same distane from the lights?

So what your saying is < Flower > with some going out, some coming in new 60 day with some still finishing its last 4 weeks of Flowering>So you are able to add your new seed plants growing in the veg rm. and move out the ones Done flowering, 4 weeks later.:yummy:

A perpetual grow helps take the chore out of pruning and hanging. Do 1 or 2 plants a day so it doesn't wear you down too much. The only thing I don't like about perpetual grows is when it comes time to give your flower room a good scrubbing and bug bombing. You end up with different heighth plants too so you have to rig up some buckets or something to try and level the tops off to keep the light as even as possible.

clones take 15 days so you need to work of 2 to 3 mother plants to give them time to heal.then send them to a veg room for 2 weeks then to your flower room to finish.so you will need 2 rooms plus clone room.this way your on a 2 week cycle you will harvest every 2 weeks never ending.they will not be monster plants but you will yield every 2 weeks.cloner to veg room 14 days.14 days in veg to flower room to finish.as one set finishes the next set will be rdy to go.

Yes Yes Guru Pit Viper . This is the situation I will do ..Constant amounts and no 5 ft plants.IN & Out call it like you see it Viper

clones take 15 days so you need to work of 2 to 3 mother plants to give them time to heal.then send them to a veg room for 2 weeks then to your flower room to finish.so you will need 2 rooms plus clone room.this way your on a 2 week cycle you will harvest every 2 weeks never ending.they will not be monster plants but you will yield every 2 weeks.cloner to veg room 14 days.14 days in veg to flower room to finish.as one set finishes the next set will be rdy to go.

im not sure I see the difference betw/ the clone room & veg room, unless the clones are under t5, and veg is MH? I was hoping to get by w/ 2 rooms, and just grow the clones along side the mothers, then when rooted, off to flower room, except using a 400 watt MH for 2 weeks, then switch to 600 HPS for 2 weeks, hopefully timing it correctly so new clones won't have to wait? 3 rooms ugh...$$$

The key of course is to have a separate veg and flowering chamber going at the same time.. Each time a plant is harvested it gets replaced with a clone from the veg room - so that the bud chamber's always filled to capacity.. Eventually, as you learn the flowering times and cloning times of your strains, you can close in on the goal of 100% occupancy (with no extra clones laying around and no place to put them).. This does take a little calculating, but once done you can get on a fairly precise schedule to where you're picking your buds like clockwork.. It's the ideal setup for growing multiple strains with different
flowering times..

I am doing a perpet. harvest room....also have a clone and seedling room, and then a veg. room...and the lighting is different in each...use 24 in the clone seedling,milder light system also...veg room is mh light with cfl extras, and the schedule is 18/6, intense light...diff. ferts also...then when a spot opens up, imove one in to the bud rm...and raise or lower plant ect...lighting is now12/12, hps, flower leds, and warm cfl's...everyone has plenty of light there...i strip the bottoms and use as clones...while in veg room...also do repotting ect. while in veg rm...at first it drove me crazy as i wanted an even flow, but now, no plant is moved before its time...some simply take longer than others...i have one girl in the flower room...a sativa, choc thai...that is wrapped around the 8x4 bud rm, on a net...i strung one on the walls and bend it and crush the one side of the stem and just move it back and forth...it seems to flower and mature at will, and never all at once...i have heard that some landrace sativa's do that...she is 20 weeks old now,(just wks in the bud room) and still healthy and thriving...no seeds, no males...the only problem we had was all the diff. fert. formulas...solved this by tying diff color ribbons on the plants, some have up to 3 and eventually have none when using only water to flush...the buckets to mix the ferts are also color codes the same as the receipes for the ferts...so its ez to see what goes to what....as the plant advances the ribbon changes...and the rest is just a good microscope and knowing the type of med you want...great topic...lavendar....p.s., and the landscape is always different and flowing....

Off course the real question is what is capacity? I mean I have a 4x4x6.5' grow tent and am in the 3rd month of a 20 plant SOG. I did my first grow this way thinking it is the way to go, i.e., the more plants the more yield. Well, I've change my mind. Problems with SOG:
In a 4x4 it is so crowed and thick with leaves, stems and plants that it is hard to water and till the soil. Plus the plants are so crowed they don't have room to fill out.
I have beginning to believe that capacity for the 4x4 is four plants - with longer veg cycle to take advantage of the full six and one-half feet of tent. Although, with the light, hood and hanging equipment - I get closer to five or 5 1/2 feet (considering pot too).

I agree with you there. I have two 600s for flowering. each one covers a space 4' x 3 &1/2'. I grow 4 plants per light now. I'm very happy with this size of plant. Each plant in a ten gallon pot with it's own scrog screen. The screen goes on when I carry it to the flowering room. It's pretty easy to keep the plants all at the same height by tucking in the screen, though once in a while I have to put blocks under a pot to raise it up a little. My vegging area is about 3 & 1/2' square. It's a very loose system- as long as I cut a few clones once a month or so I always have new plants coming. There is no schedule to speak of. I love having less plants, and bigger ones. I can put way more love into each and know them each much better than I did when I was flowering 40 plants.

Thank you for the reply. Two 600W lights is the way to go in a 4x4. Some (many) will say a 600W (with a good reflective hood) should cover a 4x4. I am not convinced after 95% of my first grow. Part of the problem was I had no air cooled hood (a Yield Master II or something like that). I am going to convert to air cooled, plus buy a 1000W MID.
Back to your point, 4 plants is better than 40 (or 20 like me). I was going to upgrade from 3 gallon to 5 gallon - you use 10 gallon - interesting. This makes me think about container size and bigger might be better with my FFOF method (no nutes - only more FFOF).
The SCROG screen sound difficult - I mean I spend all my time in the garage with my plants (and the cat). So, time "training" would be OK but I'm not sure I want to get into the "... Super-cropping, lolipopping, LST, bending, etc.." I will try and find some of your posts featuring a scrog screen for a 10 gallon container.
I keep thinking will I get that much more yield by SCROG over just 4 or 5 larger plants with room to grow. From what I've seen on these boards the answer is no - you get more yield with a SCROG - it's just time consuming and involves some training and learning. This one women trimmed these two plants 9 ways from Sunday but in the end had 23 1/2 ounces per plant (SCROG)!
I like the idea of cutting a few clones each month. I am still thinking about how to proceed on a perpetual system. Right now I am raising from seed. In that regard - no more auto's - I like them for a first time grower but I have no control and clones are questionable (I think).
The other issue I have is my veg to flower tent size - both 4x4x6.5'. I have heard flower should be four times the size of veg. In Nevada, Medical Marijuana Patients get 12 plants - so that is what I have. How to I allocate those 12 plants into a perpetual system. Always keep 12 in flower and every time I harvest replace it. It is so tempting to plant 12 but I am going to resist and plant only four on the theory that yield is not size dependent - that is I can get as much yield on 4 plants as 40!
I see your Scrog screen 1 and 2 shots - very nice system. What are the dimensions? Are those two inch squares? Thanks.

Hey Trichome. Too bad neither of us has a journal or I would take it over there. I have to work into the conversation something related to perpetual growing I suppose.
You might have misunderstood me in that I don't have two 600s in a 4x4 area. Per 600 W light I have four screens. Each screen is 19" x 24" So put the four screens together and each 600 gets to shine on an area of green which is 4' x 3'- 2". It looks like this. Excuse the crappy pic. This is eight plants.

image28990.jpg

That has worked out fine for me. If I had a better reflector hood I think I could cover a 4 x 4 area but it might be a little dim around the edges.
7 gallon pots would be OK for what I am doing. Five gallons is a bit too small, I tried it. 10 gallons gives me a little more leeway. I don't have to fill them completely up with soil. I have changed my system a little bit and I put the support stakes for the screen directly into the pot. That works very well with 10 gallon pots. I also started using thicker string. I usually make 2x4 squares, sometimes 4x4.
I actually don't find the scrog system to be all that much more work. I suppose it is, but I have so much more control over the plant and I can get everything neat and tidy in it's little square. Each pot I can move and shuffle around as much as I want. When I had a whole jungle in there I had to keep staking the plants up anyway, they were drooping all over the place, it was a mess trying to get in and out and I didn't feel like I was making the most of the situation.
As for your perpetual rooms setup. Yes I think you'll be happier with four plants. That will give you space in the veg room to have eight plants growing- will give you 12 plants total. I usually have about double the number of plants in veg that I will end up flowering. I like to have extras and I'm always trying different strains, and have to keep clones of them in case I like the bud. Therefore, a fair number of plants in the veg room will eventually get tossed out. My veg room which I haven't measured in a while but is close to 3x3', looks like this.

image28993.jpg

I'll go through that jungle soon and weed it out a bit. It's a dimmable ballast- 300-650 watts.

Greetings Weaselcracker:
Yes, I see - very nice set-up. My question is how can you put those 600W HPS flower lights so close to the plants when the ballast's appear to be not air cooled. The pictures are beautiful - I am having a very difficult time trying to take pictures and get them into the computer and on to this site. Long story but I can't find a camera with a USB connection. I got my first picture in tonight but it was me with a selfie with my laptop.
I have a good ballast and I agree on light coverage, a little dim on the edges - for which I have two 150HPS' However, if I put the l50's down low where they need to be they block the light from the 600W. So, I don't find that kind of additional light too helpful but I read how others use additional light besides the main mamma. I want to go 1000W (HPS and MIH) to get good coverage.
Really good to know on the size containers. I may upgrade from the 5 Gal. to 10 Gal. I used 3 Gal. on this 1st grow and they were a little small.
Upon closer analysis I think the SCROG is great idea - it's ignorance on my part in terms of understand bending, training, LST, super cropping, loll popping, give a dog a bone. I will have to read up on this. I am afraid I'll hurt my precious plants - need training. It really would be no trouble as I am in the garage all the time anyway. Tonight I built a bamboo grid for hanging in the section of my second grow tent - which I am using for drying. So, I have 20 "S" hooks and have handing the harvest from the ceiling of a 4x4x6.5' grow tent and a second bamboo grid about 3.25' below the ceiling. Harvest looks like about a week to 10 days.
Beautiful veg room - love all the green. I got 2 ounces today from my local dispensary for $500 (1/2 ounce Amnesia, 1/2 ounce Romulan and 1 ounce house premium shake.
I did not know until tonight that I have a dimmable ballast - 350, 400, 600 and super lumens (what ever that means). I have the flower tent on 600W HPS with two 150's. The lights are at the top of the tent, and still one plant is growing to heaven and isn't even flowering yet.
Thanks for all the help. Your guidance will save me so much time and trouble. Will add pictures too my post as soon as I can.
Thanks again.
Trichome9

Cool. :thumb: thanks for the compliments too - it's good chatting with you and l hope you start a journal. And let me know if you do. I may start one if I can figure out a filter or something to let me take good pics under the hps with my iphone.
Actually my two '600s' as I keep calling them- one is dimmable 400-1000 to super lumens whatever that is (about another 10% so close to 1100) and the other is 300-600-super lumens. I just keep them both on 600 because I'm trying to dial things in with that setting and there's no point burning more power till I feel like I'm growing well and dialed in. Which is what I decided 5 years ago, lol
True I don't have air cooled hoods. They wouldn't allow me to get closer anyway, because of the area/angle of light. Any closer and the edges of the grow area would be in the darkness, if you understand what I mean. The closest buds are about 12" from the bulb and they aren't burning or overheating. The farthest buds in the extreme corners are about 24" away from the bulb.

Thank you so much - you really opened my eyes to maximum yields with SRCOG. Do I have this right?
Each two foot SCROG square has two inch squares. Therefore, 12 x 12 = 144 squares per plant X eight plants = 1,152 buds. Even at four grams per bud = 164 POUNDS! Of course, that is only possible if every single one of those 1,152 bud squares is filled and yields 4 grams - but the possibilities are mind boggling.
As I remember, I saw a YouTube of an outdoor SCROG with four plants that ended up being huge and yielding over 150 pounds (I think). It was a giant among SCROG's - they had to stand on ladders to take care of this monster.

Hey Trichome. Too bad neither of us has a journal or I would take it over there. I have to work into the conversation something related to perpetual growing I suppose.
You might have misunderstood me in that I don't have two 600s in a 4x4 area. Per 600 W light I have four screens. Each screen is 19" x 24" So put the four screens together and each 600 gets to shine on an area of green which is 4' x 3'- 2". It looks like this. Excuse the crappy pic. This is eight plants.

image28990.jpg

That has worked out fine for me. If I had a better reflector hood I think I could cover a 4 x 4 area but it might be a little dim around the edges.
7 gallon pots would be OK for what I am doing. Five gallons is a bit too small, I tried it. 10 gallons gives me a little more leeway. I don't have to fill them completely up with soil. I have changed my system a little bit and I put the support stakes for the screen directly into the pot. That works very well with 10 gallon pots. I also started using thicker string. I usually make 2x4 squares, sometimes 4x4.
I actually don't find the scrog system to be all that much more work. I suppose it is, but I have so much more control over the plant and I can get everything neat and tidy in it's little square. Each pot I can move and shuffle around as much as I want. When I had a whole jungle in there I had to keep staking the plants up anyway, they were drooping all over the place, it was a mess trying to get in and out and I didn't feel like I was making the most of the situation.
As for your perpetual rooms setup. Yes I think you'll be happier with four plants. That will give you space in the veg room to have eight plants growing- will give you 12 plants total. I usually have about double the number of plants in veg that I will end up flowering. I like to have extras and I'm always trying different strains, and have to keep clones of them in case I like the bud. Therefore, a fair number of plants in the veg room will eventually get tossed out. My veg room which I haven't measured in a while but is close to 3x3', looks like this.

image28993.jpg

I'll go through that jungle soon and weed it out a bit. It's a dimmable ballast- 300-650 watts.

I like this set up a lot, some good food for thought here.

Back
Top Bottom