Show me how to do early vegetative pruning and FIM?

Smokin Moose

Fallen Cannabis Warrior & Ex Moderator
Early Vegetative Pruning
After the tops come off, there's a window of opportunity to get those second-story branches to reach up to the top floor and stay there. After I've got the four main tops at the same level (more or less) and the plant is throwing growth shoots on those top branches, I'll FIM those new shoots at the top. This creates a thick canopy of bud sites at the top, and the secondary bud sites are close to the top as well. I use this method for plants that will finish flowering at about two & one-half feet. Anything shorter, like in a clone, quick turnaround garden, the FIMing should happen straight away. FIM it early (fourth or fifth leaf set) to keep it short. These seedlings were topped at the fourth node (leaf set), and FIM'd later to gain height.

Re: Show me how to do early vegetative pruning and FIM ?

I know you should prune slowly...2 leaves at a time correct to prevent shock? How often should you trim too?? Please Advise!

R.E.C.

I know you should prune slowly...2 leaves at a time correct to prevent shock? How often should you trim too?? Please Advise!

R.E.C.

So, I'm confused. Are you asking about FIM cutting? FIM cutting is not something you do at specific intervals during your plant's life... it's a way to top the plant that usually causes 4 branches instead of the normal 2 you get from regular topping.

Cheers!

No I mean actually cutting the bigger leaves completly off. Sorry 4 da confusion.

R.E.C.

So, if you're in early veg and want your plant to grow, why would you trim the leaves? The leaves are the engine of your plant. If you cut a couple of "cylinders" off the engine, you'll be driving a 4 cylinder instead of an 8 cylinder. Make sense?

Topping a plants is not cutting the leaves... it's cutting the major branches to create more major branches.

There can be a time and place for cutting leaves off... usually later in the flowering stage when you want to increase light into the interior of you plant... but this has noting to do with topping your plants.

Check the search link at the top of the page. You'll find allot of info for topping techniques. I found an informative one here... Topping

Cheers!

like the rookie grower that I am, I got anxious and preflowered a plant which had good soil, but no nutes , trying to determine sex. Its a baby girl!!! I do want her to grow a little bit more and also waiting for my nutes and 400W lights to arrive. i put her back on 24hrs and just discovered the pruning FIM technique. is it ok for me to go ahead and apply this technique? did i screw this up completely. can someone give some advice?

thanks and keep em burning!

Rookie anxious to learn

Back
Top Bottom