How do I best fill the SCROG screen?

Smokin Moose

Fallen Cannabis Warrior & Ex Moderator
The fastest and most predictable way to fill is to use one clone per sq. ft. of screen, with a screen to medium gap of about 8-12", forcing when the plants penetrate the screen, about two weeks. The natural stretching process will fill the screen just as the plants stop growing and crown off.

All due respect, but, I have to disagree ...

One plant per sq foot is a SOG - - - not a SCROG. A sea of green is one plant per sq foot, started to flower as a clone. You are going for ONE large cola per plant.

A SCROG is one plant per 10 sq feet or so. I use six plants on a 4 x 8 table. And a purist Scrog Grower would wrinkle their nose at that many.

There are many and detailed instructions on a scrog. Only a few are listed below:
1) One plant per 10 sq feet.
2) Need a genetic that is predisposed to side branching. My fav is C99 Cindy.
3) Use wire mesh, not cloth. Cloth will get grown into the buds, wire won't. And you won't cut it when pruning. I use wire fencing 2" x 4".
4) Train the branches to fill in bare areas. Keep the big fan leaves cut off (pruning).
5) Cut all vegetation off more than 4" below the screen.
6) Veg until 75% of the screen is filled, then flip to flower. Don't fill it to 100% then flip.

There is SO much more to know. But, this is THE way to grow indoors in my not-so-humble opinion. I run three 4 x 8 tables with 3600 watts over them and produce over 1 gram per watt consistently.

Do a lot of research here, and other places before you start this project. There is a lot of very useful info on line on this subject and there's no point in me doing it again.

I encourage you to do this, but I also warn you to do your homework before you do. Learn the difference between a SOG and a SCROG.

~ Auggie ~

Just a quick question.
My main tent is 4x4x4
So to SCROG properly I would only be using 1 plant ?
Cuccenty I have 4 AK 48 clones that are still in Dixie Cups.
I'm planning on moving them to 1 gallon smart pots today.

Ya know, Grow, it really depends on your goal. (I am a poet, but I don't know it, yet my feet show it.)

IF your goal is (because of legal considerations) to be safe - then just use one plant. I don't know where you are, or what the legal limits are, but, back in the day ... the difference in charges (if you got busted) between one plant and four was pretty big. So, back in the day, I would really try to limit the number of plants in my garden so that I'd only do a year in jail instead of ten. I've never been busted (came close) but I truly believe that's because I used (and still do) an abundance of caution.

IF your goal is to produce the most weight as quickly as possible, I would go ahead and plant all four. Situate them more towards the corners and direct side growth to the center. All the other 'rules' I posted above still apply. You can call it a SCROG or a SOG or a hybrid of both - but that will produce the most fruit the quickest. You will get to 75% coverage much faster, so you'll get more crops per year and be more efficient.

Happy growing.

~ Auggie ~

Thanks, I got impatient {I had a total of 5} and planted 2 of them in some tall bushes outside. :)
So I'm down to 3 . I'm kind of thinking I'll use 2 to SCROG and the last one as a clone donor.
Seems like 2 will be more manageable .

Just a quick question.
My main tent is 4x4x4
So to SCROG properly I would only be using 1 plant ?
Cuccenty I have 4 AK 48 clones that are still in Dixie Cups.
I'm planning on moving them to 1 gallon smart pots today.

I use two plants in my 4x4 scrog, two plants 5 gallon smart pots... but then that is what works for me other may have different views but I am happy with my results under 2- 315's in the 4x4 with a 2 plant scrog... happy growing

Keep in mind that strain genetics are important when you choose SOG or SCROG. I you grow a small indica SOG is easier than SCROG. If you grow a sativa, like Super Silver Haze...well....SCROG is probably better...SOG will explode your tent...

Also, IMHO, SCROG is PIA at harvest....(or its me that´s stupid....)

Keep in mind that strain genetics are important when you choose SOG or SCROG. I you grow a small indica SOG is easier than SCROG. If you grow a sativa, like Super Silver Haze...well....SCROG is probably better...SOG will explode your tent...

Also, IMHO, SCROG is PIA at harvest....(or its me that´s stupid....)

Yes, I agree, SCROG is a PIN (neck) at harvest. Cutting all those tangled up vines with all those fat cola's sticking out. And your fingers get all sticky and coated with resin.
Yuk.
Awful.
Want me to do it for you? I will ya know ...

~ Auggie ~

Topping plants from an early age is key to getting your plant wide easily. If you didn't top then just can just pull them out and around until the screen is as full as possible. You need your plants to fill 75% of the width of the SCROG net before you switch to the flowering stage to get the most from your grow. Theres more information about this here... Vegetative Stage - Growing Cannabis Indoors | Delta9cloud.com

My portable scrogs are 90%+ full because I am waiting for clones taken for sex to finish so I can put seedlings and new clones in that space to veg, about a week left. I am tempted to go ahead and flip and veg under a couple CFLs until the space is available. Thoughts? Should I go for it?

Portable scrogs
IMG_20160802_102800_1.jpg

Seedlings and 1 clone
IMG_20160802_102812.jpg

More clones, they have humidity domes and are under 1 cfl in AC box.
IMG_20160803_092825.jpg

Budding clone
IMG_20160803_103616_1.jpg

Veg spaces using to flower clones, 1 week left
IMG_20160719_175048_1.jpg

High weenmeoff

Looks pretty scroggy to me if you're tying down grow tips to force the branches to grow horizontally along the screen before flowering. Tips growing up through the screen without lashing down do not a ScroG make.

Myself, I wouldn't initiate flowering under a few CFLs as you want all the power you got to kick off the flowering stage and stretch. I think you would inhibit a good take-off doing that. Fine for sexing clones or small breeding plants but I'd hold off until you can bring the big guns to bare. { Just asked my 88 yo mom and she agrees and that doesn't happen often. :) }

:peace:

Hi OMU!

Thanks for your response! The SCROG plants are in a 4X4 tent with a 96 led 205w mars hydro and a 600w MH will switch to HPS tomorrow if I do decide to flower. I was just with them, trying to get the dang SCROG under control and I'm overwhelmed (1st grow) I was able to tame one of them but started on the 2nd, spent 1/2 hour and made little to no progress. I probably should not have let it get that out of control!

3rd pic is after tucking and weaving for 1/2 hour.

IMG_20160804_190236.jpg

IMG_20160804_190306.jpg

IMG_20160804_192154_1.jpg

You're pretty full up and looking good now so a bountiful harvest is in the offering. Gotta get those tips tied over from the start to take best advantage of ScroGing. I'm in BC atm helping my mom get moved out of her house and will be here for the rest of Aug. Got 8 smaller plants I started in mid-June that should have lots of cuttings available so I'll get right on a 12 hole DWC tub SoG. 2 maybe if there are enough female cuttings to go with. 2 are hi-CBD Otto#1 plants and none were sexed when I left a week ago.

Hitting the beach before supper so gotta run. :)

:peace:

Back
Top Bottom