How to Exercise your Constitutional Rights during Encounters with Police

Re: How to exercise your constitutional rights during encounters with police.

oh man. moose thanks a million. they didnt teach me all of this stuff in my high school gov class. now i know alot more about it. that first skit... i hate cops like that. and thats the only kind of cops we have here in my county.

Thanks moose. I needed to know this one. I cant stand the cop in the 1st skit or the ones in the last ones. Hell i cant stand cops period but at least now ill know how to deal with them if im pulled over.

Me and Andrew watched this - very informative!

I never thought to close and lock your car doors, or to come outside of the house when dealing with the police, but it seems like such a smart thing to do now, especially with the plain view rule.

Hey i was wondering something else about if a cop comes to your house. Instead of coming outside and closing the door behind you (and if youre under the influence having to deal with the possibility of getting caught up) couldnt you instead talk to the police officers through the door. If they ask you to open it and let them inside tell them that you are standing aside the door and the only way they are coming in is to break the door down.
They have to go up the chain of command and have a warrant or whatever to use that kind of forced entry so wouldnt they have to just back off

Great find Moose,

I encourage all to watch.

Regardless whether you have anything or are doing anything illegal or not, this approach will keep them honest from the verbal & psychological trickery they will play.

(remember all law enforcement agents are purposely trained to do this)

This is a good watch for just about everyone...I learned alot...I think im gonna put the link to this in my sig and I encourage others to do the same...this is important for people to watch!

Or just move to Canada, the REAL land of the free...:p

this would have been helpful a year ago
a cop asked to search my car
i asked him if he could search my car without
consent because i didnt own the car (my parents did)
and he told me "sit your ass on the front bumper"
and searched my car anyways
good thing he didnt find my stash of marijuana

I agree the video is a must-watch. Would only add the following, from my own experience:

The best way to deal with cops is a simple formula: "yes Sir, no Sir, thank you, Sir, Please." The old good manners thing. When I was younger, I liked to drive as though the Hounds of Hell were right on my ass...was pulled over a lot there for a few years, license yankedat least 3x, etc.

Regardless of the circumstances, I've always forced myself to be uber-respectful and friendly with LEOs, especially those ticketing me. As a result, I've been let off of tickets for 15+ over the limit with a warning. I've had several officers write the ticket for a slower violation - 14mph over instead of 21+ over - huge diff in fine and insurance backlash.

I was pulled over once in AZ for no proof of insurance, no plates (had 'em but they were hidden....long story) and an unlicensed, uninsured boat. I got ticketed $65 for no plates on the boat trailer. Nothing else. The proof of insurance ticket (I was insured, but no proof) would have been over $500. No dismissal for having insurance - law says you must have PROOF when the LEO asks. He could have thrown the book at me - potentally arrested me there on the side of the road. Approached with his hand on his gun. Ended up letting me off of more than $1000 in tickets and wrote me a $65 slap on the wrist. Really awesome guy.

It doesn't and won't work every time, but the more you can come across as legitimately respectful and polite, the better your chances. I've even successfully argued with police by staying super-calm and respectful. DOESN'T ALWAYS WORK, but for me, there's no other way to interact.

"JESUS it smells like bob marley's ass in here!" definately using that one

A couple other things that are probably important to note...
The Supreme Court has ruled that only a "reasonable" amount of time shall be used when conducting investigations during a traffic stop. According to them this is 15-20 minutes. So when pulled over, if the officer is keeping you longer than this said timeframe, you are within your rights to inform the officer of this and unless they have anything that sticks, along with you repeatedly saying,"Am I free to go, officer?" -"Am I being detained?" to let them know you are not voluntarily engaging in conversation with them, they will most likely not press further.
Also, some more specific information on body searches...
Being detained and being arrested are two very different things. Police can detain you and put you in their cruiser while they conduct certain investigations. However, even when detained police can only legally pat down the outside of your clothing TO SEARCH FOR WEAPONS, this means that baggie they feel in your pocket still does not give them a legal right to go into your pockets. Continually say, "Officer, I do not consent to searches" if they continue with a search continue to say, "Officer I do not consent to this search" and remain calm, do not run, or become aggressive. Most likely this is being recorded through audio and or video and if a court determines your rights were violated, those charges will be dismissed.
:)
Hope some of this more specific information helps.
Peace!

Back
Top Bottom