Flooming

Wacky Kush

I have seen the topic of flooming discussed in detail on many "OTHER" sites and would like to bring it to the table here as when I searched the topic here I viewed two threads on venturi attachments . Anyways , I think it's worth reading and I plan on trying this in the future vs. an airstone.

Please post comments so we can learn from each others experience.

. save

Interesting topic, subscribed.

Flooming has it's advantages, obviously it is more efficient than air stones and many use it on their "outdoor dwc" units. But it raises the temperature. And that's the trade off. Keeping the water moving with a pump also keeps things "fresh".

Thanks for your input, very much appreciated.

Flooming has it's advantages, obviously it is more efficient than air stones and many use it on their "outdoor dwc" units. But it raises the temperature. And that's the trade off. Keeping the water moving with a pump also keeps things "fresh".

You state that something is obvious... but I don't see it as such. I understand about breaking the surface tension of the water... keeping the water moving... It just doesn't make sense to me that this will be more efficient than air stones. First, it is far easier to push air than water - air pumps are very small and water pumps are large (horsepower wise) - so it takes more energy to run a water pump rather than an air pump. But if you move less water for the same effect... it could equalize.

And air stones do keep the water moving, just not as much as a water pump. So we are talking about some incremental benefit at best?

And please, I am not trying to be pedantic. I simply don't understand this topic and would appreciate some education.

I believe this idea will require further experimentation. :) I've been wanting to try other growing methods, including hydroponics, so when I do, it'd be a good opportunity to try this.

A water pump with Venturi is far superior to any airstone & less maintenance & longevity. RIO makes a great venturi pump in all sizes.

But it is only good for a single bucket or reservoir. I currently run 8 buckets in each tent - thus a venturi is worthless. I am certainly not going to buy and rig 8 different venturi pumps - no way to convince me that this better than my current design. And, BTW, I do have a venturi pump and have tried it... but I didn't see any difference between this and an airstone running a single bucket.... except that the air stones are cheaper and require less pump horsepower.

I could be wrong though... as I am talking anecdotal evidence only.

"It just doesn't make sense to me that this will be more efficient than air stones."

"And air stones do keep the water moving, just not as much as a water pump."

From what I've read and seen about outdoor dwc or "venturi" pumps it is way better than any airstone or air pump when it comes to Dissolved oxygen. Now for example lets say you have two bubbles buckets. One with an airstone and one with a regular ole recirculating pump. (Pointed upwards) for floom affect.

The second those temps start going up the airstone will start failing (at maintaining sufficient DO) but you WILL notice that in the other bubble bucket the DO will still be enough to sustain hydro plants.

Now as far as I know this is the only benefit. That the water pump simply always supply's heavy oxygen saturated water no matter what temp. But IF you keep your water to say 65f on your air-stone bubbler it will be more than sufficient at maintaining DO. The same as the other bucket pump at the same temp too. Both would essentially make the water the same DO levels.

So you see they both work but the pump is always gonna be better because it moves alllll that water so fast on the surface. The airstones do the same but very subtly. When the bubbles reach the surface blah blah you know. But that's nothing in comparison to the surface breakage from a pump.

So I guess to sum it up what I've concluded to myself is that if your within temps, airstones are more than enough. But once that temp dips up it will fail, as a water pump would not.

I was interested in "flooming" for a good while. IMO the only choice if outdoor dwc is your goal. But I don't like the fact that the 5w pump raises your temp. So it is what it is. I don't use mine lol.

Regards

-Voltrom

I appreciate your comments and the sensible way in which you present them.

From what I've read and seen about outdoor dwc or "venturi" pumps it is way better than any airstone or air pump when it comes to Dissolved oxygen. Now for example lets say you have two bubbles buckets. One with an airstone and one with a regular ole recirculating pump. (Pointed upwards) for floom affect.

This is actually the comparison that I am interested in making (being selfish and all). I can see rigging a water pump to a One In and Eight Out type of distribution center and end up with a floom in every bucket.

The second those temps start going up the airstone will start failing (at maintaining sufficient DO) but you WILL notice that in the other bubble bucket the DO will still be enough to sustain hydro plants.

Now as far as I know this is the only benefit. That the water pump simply always supply's heavy oxygen saturated water no matter what temp.

Fair enough... I don't run outdoor hydro. I run RDWC systems in 2 4x4 tents under 1,000W lights. The reservoir temp increases to 75 daytime and then 72 at night in one. I have a cooler on the other and keep the temp right at 67. Cooler roots produce better... but I haven't had an issue with DO or root rot in either system.

But IF you keep your water to say 65f on your air-stone bubbler it will be more than sufficient at maintaining DO. The same as the other bucket pump at the same temp too. Both would essentially make the water the same DO levels.

The limited information that I have read on the topic agrees with your assessment.

I was interested in "flooming" for a good while. IMO the only choice if outdoor dwc is your goal. But I don't like the fact that the 5w pump raises your temp. So it is what it is. I don't use mine lol.

I was thinking about trying a pumpkin in an outdoor DWC... an opportunity to use my RIO venturi pump?

Maybe you don't use it now... but you have experience which I value. Thank you for sharing.

I appreciate your comments and the sensible way in which you present them. .

Appreciate it! I was hoping op would get a better idea about flooming. I always respect your comments and suggestions GL. You have a good thing going on in terms of how you grow your meds, I wish I was on a level to even use a 1k! No way I couldn't maintain sufficient temps with 1k. But anyway there was a time when I was obsessed with venturi systems and even made a thread about it. 90F Rez Temps No Problem

Have a peek if you haven't already, I thought at one point that the "venturi" concept was some kind of miracle. I had trouble with my 190gph pump, but little did I know my clones were infected from day one. So that messed with my observations with my venturi. I'm sure ill give it another go sometime. My last dwc was hell.

That's an interesting idea on the flooming split into several buckets. I'd imagine you'd need a beefy pump hooked up to 1/2 tubing or something. That could be a very effective way of circulation. It's systems like yours and others that give me ideas when I'm ready to step up. I'm over here using a puny 7.5L dual air pump when others are using 35L pumps and so on, so much to do so much to do.

An outdoor pumpkin dwc! I'll sub that thread lol, I've always been amazed by pumpkins since I was a tote, it's just how it looks that's fascinating to me, I'd bet yours would turn out huge.

I see you liked my VENTURI video, I used these running 24 hours a day for year or longer in my saltwater reef tank, don't get a cheap one. The smallest pump alittle bigger than a shot glass will make twice the bubbles of (2) 6-inch airstones and outlast them by years! What is Flooming? It may be a term referring to this method of pulling air into a rapid flow of water? Best of luck.:blunt:

I used these running 24 hours a day for year or longer in my saltwater reef tank, don't get a cheap one.

In many ways, the equipment sold by the Salt Water Aquarium companies is far superior to that sold by some of the hydro companies. I have noted that my salt water aquarium pumps run much more quietly and never miss a beat. The hydro pumps that I purchased were... shall we say of lesser quality. I have only been running the better pumps for 3 months - so I can't comment on longevity. But I will state that I went thru two of the lessor quality hydro pumps in 3 months earlier this year...

Also, the inline salt water pumps are nearly always air cooled (which means they are not submersible) - this helps to keep the reservoir temperature down. Seems to be well worth the upgrade in money.

Love that video, pissing off the fish. Its reminds me of a jet turbine. I plan on utilizing a venturi attachment or at least flooming in my rez used in a top drip/ flow.
Thanks for the contribution and discussion.( the four of you)

Peace

Well, I dreamed I saw the silver space ships flying
In the yellow haze of the sun
There were children crying and colors flying
All around the chosen ones
All in a dream, all in a dream
The loading had begun
Flying Mother Nature's silver seed to a new home in the sun
Flying Mother Nature's silver seed to a new home

I was lying in a burned out basement

with a full moon in my eye

I was looking for replacement

and I felt like getting high :high-five:

like your style! I still don't know what Flooming is, must be the results seen in the video with scared fish!

Flooming is when you Center a water pump in the reservoir with a open nozzle in dwc. The pump forces water up inthe center and if you use a filtration system like for a aquarium it makes a lot of sense.... Since the pump has no restriction it will move smaller air particles with more water volume.... Unless I am mistaken?

Sounds about right.

Flooming is when you Center a water pump in the reservoir with a open nozzle in dwc. The pump forces water up inthe center and if you use a filtration system like for a aquarium it makes a lot of sense.... Since the pump has no restriction it will move smaller air particles with more water volume.... Unless I am mistaken?

Back
Top Bottom