A couple drain-to-waste questions

Hey folks. I finally signed on to this great site for a number of reasons. A Big part of it was being inspired by some of the awesome posts from "the Cap'n". And it's partly as a result of reading about his systems that I want to try a drain to waste setup. I have been growing in soil for many years. I have a few basic questions, no doubt which have been answered somewhere but I haven't managed to dig them up yet.

A la the Cap'ns perpetual 10oz grow post, am looking at growing in Rockwool -3 gallon pots or larger inside 5 gallon buckets, probably just two large plants each under 600 W. I am thinking I will just use one main reservoir and pump, and pump the water/nutes to both plants at the same time. If that makes sense... Now in my situation I often have to be away for four or five days at a time, not ideal but it has worked out fine with the soil set up I have now. So I am hoping to do the same with the drain to waste system. And fantasizing about being able to risk going away for even longer that one or two times a year I really have to...

Anyway -my first question is: in your experience -how many gallons will I be using per day with a dialed in drain to waste system? So how big a res would you use for the two plants and how long till run dry?
And second- this system has been talked of as being immune to power outages. Well, if the power is out (A bit of a problem around here ) during the window of time my digital timer is set to water the plants I'm obviously going to miss that watering, right? What do you guys do- use a non-digital timer? How long can a large plant in rockwool go without drying out- ie- can I miss a watering cycle? Thanks!

Anyway -my first question is: in your experience -how many gallons will I be using per day with a dialed in drain to waste system?

It will change as the plants root system grows. For a 3 gallon coco/rockwool pot you will probably max at around 1/2 - 2/3 gallon per day if it super kicking ass. If your running two plants I would run a 20 gallon rez.

No such thing as immune to power outages brother. No matter what timer you have (digital or not) it will not work without power. Yes it is possible to miss a cycle and be just fine.

Good luck!
Vec

It will change as the plants root system grows. For a 3 gallon coco/rockwool pot you will probably max at around 1/2 - 2/3 gallon per day if it super kicking ass. If your running two plants I would run a 20 gallon rez.

No such thing as immune to power outages brother. No matter what timer you have (digital or not) it will not work without power. Yes it is possible to miss a cycle and be just fine.

Good luck!
Vec

Thanks-cool. That's a lot less than I thought. Well dialed in and not wasting much I guess.
What I meant about the timers- if I use the sort of old school mechanical timer on the water pump- it will stop dead when the power is out and then start ticking from where it left off when the power comes back on again. The digital timer with battery backup keeps on going, right through the watering time, oblivious to the fact that the pump it has turned "on" is MIA. The result is that- for example - Lets say the power is out for 30 minutes during the time the watering is supposed to happen. With the old-school timer the watering will just be 30 minutes late. With the digital timer the watering won't happen at all. I'm probably just overthinking it a bit though. It seems like 3 gallons of wet rockwool should last for quite a while, especially in the cold and dark lol...

420-magazine-mobile1334159687.jpg

Hey, is this stuff as good as the reviews?

gwayne

I know this is an old thread but for future people who have this question. Your dozen plants may only drink less than a gallon the first week, then a full gallon the next, then 4 the next. The faster and larger they grow, the more water and solution they will use. Keep an eye on your ppm throughout water changes to get a good idea if more water or nutrients are being used so you know if you can add more/less solution next time

Back
Top Bottom