Individual 5 Gal Buckets vs One Large Container - Any Thoughts?

dudemanbro

I'm building a DWC system and thinking about buying a large storage bin (like this: HDX 55 Gal. Storage Tote in Black (Pack of 4)-HDX55GONLINE(4) - The Home Depot) to fill up the majority of my 2x4 veg tent instead of individual 5 gal buckets. This allows me to only test 1 water container instead of individual containers for each veg plant. I'm thinking of drilling net pot holes in the lid of one black container and placing a reflective mylar covering over the remainder of the lid to reflect light back up. any thoughts? if this works, what kind of plant density can I work with? aka: how many net pots could I put in one? I'd like to put between 4-6 and was curious if anyone has tried anything like this with success?

edit: after some additional searching, it looks like this is a common DIY method. looks like I need to learn to search better. :p

Only issue with running one large rez is that if the plants get sick, they ALL get sick. Where if you run individuals you dont have to worry about it spreading. Plus if you are running different strains its nice to be able to control individual nutrient concentrations. I had a large 18 gallon igloo rez and switched it out for individual 5 gal buckets. A little more work but not enough to out weigh the pros in my situation.
Also, i started out with a reflective covering on my rez but have since covered it with white tape. It was causing some burn on my lower leaves and the white helps diffuse it a bit better. And when the plants get bigger its not going to make a difference anyway. I havent seen the top of my rez in 3 weeks.
I have 2 plants in 5 gal buckets in a 2x4x6 tent and it is FULL from side to side thanks to lst and supercropping. Its in stretch now and it is going to be tight by the end.

We tried to do 5g buckets but we're using nutrients that aren't ph buffed.
And we had ph fluctuations all the time. Someone told us to get a bigger tote because the less water the harder it is to keep ph stable.
So we switched to 10g res with 5g water and ph is stable now.

It would be nice to have a smaller res and less water to have to deal with at water changes thiugh.

We tried to do 5g buckets but we're using nutrients that aren't ph buffed.
And we had ph fluctuations all the time. Someone told us to get a bigger tote because the less water the harder it is to keep ph stable.
So we switched to 10g res with 5g water and ph is stable now.

It would be nice to have a smaller res and less water to have to deal with at water changes thiugh.
Ph fluctuations were a constant battle with gh nutes for me. I used the advanced nutrients ph perfect nutes and I never had to adjust it. Only thing is they are much more expensive.

How are you liking the Botanicare KIND ? Still need a pH pen ?
We're really liking the KIND line. We're still noobs, but this is our best grow yet.
We still use a ph pen to monitor ph. But it's always real stable. We also use pure blend tea by botanicare.
We flipped to 12/12 bout 2 weeks ago and are starting to see buds now. Fingers crossed it'll continue to go well.

Sent from my SM-G530T using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Back
Top Bottom